Disk Read Error on Boot

saber07

Limp Gawd
Today, my computer froze up and my only option was to hard shut it down. Afterwards, I went to boot it up, and get disk read error press ctrl alt del to reboot. The drive is a 74 gb raptor. I have run the Western Digital Diagnostics on it and it passes those. I also downloaded the ultimate boot cd but am not sure which programs to use that may help fix my problem. What do you guys think the problem is? I'm guessing something in the boot record or a windows file is messed up.

I'm running a DFI Ultra D Lanparty NF4 board andt he specific spot it says disk read error is after it checks for a cd to boot from, then boots from hard disk.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

edit. Ran a few tests on the UBCD, and it says the master boot record is ok. So I guess it might be something to do with windows, anything I can do about that?

Another update, I ran my Windows XP cd and tried to use the recovery console, but when I used the dir command to list the directory, it gave me an error saying it couldnt. I have no clue what to do now.

Drive's dead. This has happened to me even when a drive passes the WD tests. Sorry man.

Well, the drive wasn't dead, but I did have to do a quick format and luckily was able to use a data recovery program. Don't know what corrupted it though, oh well, I'm happy.

Back