Display Driver Stops Responding

Chacranajxy

Limp Gawd
I'm having an issue with Stalker and Unreal Tournament III in particular -- the game will suddenly just stop (often simply in the menus) and then I'll get a notification that the display driver has stopped working... I tried using the 169.12 beta drivers (which were awful) and then moved to the 169.09 drivers... still having the issue, though seemingly not quite as often. Would it be best to roll back to an older driver or is there something else possibly going on here?

Specs are:

Asus x38 Maximus Formula (DDR2)
2 X 2GB G.Skill DDR2
QX6850
MSI 8800Ultra (factory oc-ed)
Vista 64

Probably something else going on, as the driver doesn't just crash on those big titles.. they work fine for everyone else. Can't say exactly what's happening though.

I really doubt your OC is causing this. And I do suspect drivers. Probably your best options are:

1) Dual boot XP for games that don't play nice with Vista.
2) Download some beta drivers (laptopvideo2go or other sites)
3) Find MS Hotfixes
4) Wait and pray

This happens to me all the time with my 7900gt and Vista 32bit, although I am also experiencing terrible artifacts and thus suspect my video card is just faulty. For me, some games are worse than others, and changing drivers has no effect. I have ordered a replacement and will be RMAing this card, good luck with your problems, I know how irritating it can be for your screen to go black in the middle of an intense firefight.:(

I am having the same issue. EVGA 8800 Ultra, Vista 64, 169.12. And mostly happening with UT3.

I haven't OCed the card at all, and the temps are at 65c when its happening, so it's not overheating.

The card plays every other game perfectly.

That was a card specific issue for me. I was getting the same crap and I RMA'ed my card... never happened again with all other variables the same. Too bad you got an MSI, their customer service is second to everyone.

Tried the beta 169.17 drivers. still no dice. same error. Any other suggestions? Has anyone had this problem and reverted to old driver successfully perhaps?

Back