Displays getting bigger and cheaper - How far will it go?

dochmbi

Limp Gawd
In 2005 I bought a 19" Syncmaster 940b monitor for 350€ or so. Now in 2008 I can get a 24" widescreen monitor for the same price. If that same development continues, in 2011 I can get a 30" monitor for 350€, then in 2014 a 36" , 2017 42" etc etc

This got me thinking, how big will desktop monitors get? When does getting a bigger desktop monitor stop being a viable upgrade? I mean you have to keep moving the monitor farther and farther away to still be able to see it all in one glance. I know theres a poster here who has a 52" sharp 1080p as a display, don't remember who it is though. Wonder how far he sits from his monitor. Edit: it's "trudud"

At some point manufacturers won't be able to sell monitors by size alone, instead, they're going to have to make them technically better in order to keep people upgrading. This is happening already with OLEDs coming out. I also hear OLED is potentially going to make manufacturing monitors a lot cheaper, does this mean big cheap screens for everyone? What if everyone already has as big a screen as they could possibly want, how will the consumers interest get reinvigorated?

Sorry if my post is a bit unorganized and rambling, this thing has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to get it out.

You're basically asking if in the future, things will be cheaper and better.

I can't see it, personally.

Basically what I kind of see happening, almost already is happening. Wireless digital photo frames. Switch it up with smaller and smaller wireless units, OLED display and you can have some pretty legit "art" that continuously changes.

This will also mean, screens every where. Kitchen, living room, coffee table, bathroom, car, blah blah blah. Cheaper, smaller, better. Minority Report style!

I can. In the future things will be better and cheaper.

The challenge is of course, it is all relative. The top of the line will still be for extreme nerds with cash.

But yeah, I can totally see 30" in 2011 for 350 euros.

It's called free market economics which works quite well until our idiot politicians (Dems & Repubs alike) decide they need to "manage" it for us.

Back