Dissappointing Winchester o/c

I'd like to take the vcore from the mobo but i have no idea where the find the trace to test. I fly electric R/C planes so electricity isn't too intimidating (my current plane pulls 45a at full throttle just under 12volts, w00t for 400w...) but i'm not so sure where to find the traces to test. I can probably test my 12v power from any hard-drive molex plug w/ my DVM, right? I'll do that tonight and see what's up. My calculated power consumption is only 330watts or so so and just under 20a on the 12v rail so i should be OK on my current PS. I have a crappo 350w+ that i may be able to use for the test you describe, but -- how do i turn it on if i only have 1 case switch? (i know, this is a stupid question :-P)

headless said:
I'd like to take the vcore from the mobo but i have no idea where the find the trace to test. I fly electric R/C planes so electricity isn't too intimidating (my current plane pulls 45a at full throttle just under 12volts, w00t for 400w...) but i'm not so sure where to find the traces to test. I can probably test my 12v power from any hard-drive molex plug w/ my DVM, right? I'll do that tonight and see what's up. My calculated power consumption is only 330watts or so so and just under 20a on the 12v rail so i should be OK on my current PS. I have a crappo 350w+ that i may be able to use for the test you describe, but -- how do i turn it on if i only have 1 case switch? (i know, this is a stupid question :-P)

Try this:

http://www.thetechboard.com/tutorials/atx.php

Paper clips work very well here. Remember to insulate the clip, and keep it short, as you don't want things arcing. Makes a big mess. At the very least, cover the ATX header in electrical tape.

Here's what I do. Power on the PSU in your rig first. A split second later, power up the shunted supply. If you do it right, the video card won't get cranky about no power to the molex. If it does, just reset the system, and you're all set. As far as getting voltages from the mobo, look up voltage mods for your particular board. Every guide I've seen has a list for testing actual voltage after the mod. That will do you right for your Vcore, chipset, and Vmem voltages. Getting the 12 Volts from the molex is the right idea. You should have a good handle as to what your 12 Volt rail is putting down. You can also use this method to verify your 5V as well. Try to remember that a voltage fluctuation on the 12 Volt rail isn't as dangerous as the 5V, and that's not as dangerous as the 3.3. 10% fluctuation on the 12 Volt rail puts you at about 10.8 Volts. 10.8 Volts and below signifies a big problem. For the 5 Volt rail, that big problem marker lies at about 4.5 Volts.

For reading the 3.3 Volt rail, I don't know of another way than tapping into the ATX auxilary header. Most supplies have these, but some don't. Hopefully someone knows of a better way. Anything at or below 3.1 Volts on the 3.3 Volt rail also signifies a big problem.

Also, don't trust a calculated power consumption figure by simply adding up the watt ratings on all your system parts. The processor will offset that number by overclocking, as will your motherboard and video card. Also, the power supply itself will add to that number with energy lost through heat. The more heat the supply generates, the less power it can supply. The only real way to figure out how much wattage you are drawing is to hook up a Fluke meter to the AC input on the power supply.

Matt.

I just thought I would say: YOU GOT A 3500!!! It rocks as it is. Check Anand forthe full review and try alongthe lines of them. But seriously, you got a killer rig as it stands...

operaman said:
I just thought I would say: YOU GOT A 3500!!! It rocks as it is. Check Anand forthe full review and try alongthe lines of them. But seriously, you got a killer rig as it stands...

True, true. But overclocking isn't always just about the rig. It's about what you can learn in the grand scheme of making things faster than they were ever intended to be.

Matt.

Back