DIY DDC Clear Top Done!! Pics, 56k might have a problem.

Ultragamma

Weaksauce
I have posted a thread before about me doing a DIY acrylic top for my DDC pump. I know many people already changed to the D5, but i still like my DDC and like to make the best performance out of it and make it look good too. I didn't gain the access to the CNC machine so everything on this is done on a table drill and table grinder with buffing wheels.

I went to many different version to get this right and perform the correct way. I will list the version below. Feel free to left comments, i just want to share my excitement as i complete everything. I was done a few weeks ago but never had the time until i came back from my business trip to malaysia.

Enough talk here are some pictures.

FirstVersion2.jpg

FirstVersion.jpg

SANY0025.jpg

Here is the first version with 1/8 NPT Barbs. Later i found out that future upgrade to 1/2" barbs is nearly impossible for 1/8 NPT so i throw it out. Also the major defect is that the chamber is too deep and square that the output is actually decreased from the original top.

So here are some pictures for the 2nd Version before final buff on the side.
Bottom.jpg

Beforebuff2.jpg

with blue light
BeforeBuff.jpg

This version is more improve version. It uses 1/4 NPT barbs, so it is possible to use 1/2" barbs for 1/2" or 7/16" tubings in the future.

Finally, the finish product.
2ndVersionside.jpg

2ndVersion2.jpg

2ndVerCorsair.jpg

2ndVersion.jpg

I had to use bronze fitting because the nylon barbs get cut-up by the sharp threads on the acrylic.

Excellent job Ultragamma! Did you have issues with cracking? How does it compare to stock pump?

Once again very nice job...

Excellent work there! You must have some steady hands to do all that with table drills and such...

The acrylic is very easy to crack when working with deeper than 1/4" cuts. So you must use coolant to keep it from melting and go slow with the drill and hole cutter. Guess what, you have to use coolant or cutting fluid even when you tapping. The current version top is 3/8" thick. I will make another one with 1" thick acrylic because i just want to give the inlet barb more depth to hold the threads.

I place my pump outlet side up like you see in the first picture. So now it is almost like a d4/d5 pump orientation. With the new top, the performance should be close to a D4 and surprisingly quiet. Before i modified it, it gives out some low motor whine noise, very low, but still audible when i open the case. Now it is totally silent, first turn on, i had look closely and feel the pump to see it is running. I assume it is the thicker material for the top reduce the vibration of the pump.

Hopefully i will be done with the new top soon. Currently i want to make one for a d4/d5 but my friend is unwilling to take his pump out of his system for measurements. sigh.

I will post a worklog if anyone interested in seeing how to make the next one.

Back