DIY Johnny 5 Robot

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are into the whole robotics thing, and I have a feeling some of you are, VIAArena has an interesting article posted today. The article showcases one of those Johnny 5 robot kits powered by a VIA EPIA PX1000G Pico-ITX with a 1GHz C7 processor, 1GB RAM, 120GB SATA 2.5” HDD and a pair of webcams for eyes.

The VIA EPIA PX Pico-ITX Mainboard is extremely small and is very well suited for application in robotics. Hard to believe, but it is only 100 x 72 mm (3.9 x 2.8 in). It has low power consumption requirements and it is passively cooled. With such a small footprint in regards to the I/O, it incorporates four USB 2.0, one COM, one PS2 and one LVDS/DVI. The list does not end there, also included is one audio for line-out/line-in, mic-in, optical-in, 7.1 channel output, RJ-45 LAN and VGA. Of course it also features a VIA C7 processor and the VIA VX700 system media processor. That’s a lot of features packaged into such a small bundle.

Impressive, an amazing job. The kits may be purchased, but getting all of those things coordinated is a hell of a job.
I actually have one of Lynxmotion's Hexapod walkers, and that thing was a blast, but it took a lot of work just to get the Basic Stamp2 microcontroller working.

I can't wait to see when he adds a shoulder mounted laser and enormous eyebrows. Throw in a speaker and let it run around his house screaming "INPUT! INPUT!" all day. Now that would be demonstration video.:D

you guys say its 3.9 x 2.8 in, but the specs at the bottom of the article says 14.25" tall.

Reassemble Stephanie! Reassemble!

you guys say its 3.9 x 2.8 in, but the specs at the bottom of the article says 14.25" tall.

Reassemble Stephanie! Reassemble!

That is the Dimensions of the motherboard.

LOL at the Stephanie line.

I was in elementary when that movie came out, awww the memories. :)

Hey guys, project author here.

Glad you liked the project. I'm actually looking at adding one of the high mw green lasers along with its own camera tracking system on a turret over the left shoulder. I'll keep you posted :D

I want one! just to torment the cat it'd be worth it! wonder if it could be programmed to chase him around, big old fat boy (25lbs) NEEDS some exercise :p

Indeed, my cat is terrified of Johnny. Especially since I gave him some 2w speakers. I can basically kick back at any of my PCs, Remote to his desktop and drive him around my house. My cat is not amused.

Back