DIY Virtual Reality / Self-Humiliation Rig

Is that ArmA 2? Nice!

Except you can just buy a TrackIR and achieve the same thing without strapping a monitor to your face.

That is hilarious and looks like it would be excellent for building strong shoulder and back muscles. Kudos to that guy for making it though, I have always wanted a VR system that would allow me to actually move around in the environment, like RL but where I could shoot people and not get put away.

That is hilarious and looks like it would be excellent for building strong shoulder and back muscles. Kudos to that guy for making it though, I have always wanted a VR system that would allow me to actually move around in the environment, like RL but where I could shoot people and not get put away.

That's what I'm saying...

Anyway I can build muscles up and have fun at the same time is win.

And they said video games is the cause of obesity. ;)

have you considered using some optics like a Fresnel lens so that the wearer could focus their eyes at a greater distance and reduce eye strain?

also, it seems like this could be done really well with a light weight OLED screen, it could even be curved.

Is that ArmA 2? Nice!

Except you can just buy a TrackIR and achieve the same thing without strapping a monitor to your face.

It looks like he's using a TrackIR. See trackclip pro attached on his left. Of course he could have done this with any of the LCD display eyewear that's available for cheap these days.

This reminds me of the AVGN duct taping a Virtual Boy to his head lol

virtualboy.jpg

15 years ago my father was the Program Manager for Virtual Environments for the Department of Naval Air Warfare and I had a tour of the facility. They had environments projected onto 180 degree screens about 10 ft in front of you. You wore a small headset that monitored head movemnt for the X, Y axis and you had a foot pedal to control your forward and backward movement. You held a de-milled M16 tethered to a large box that contained a large flywheel and braking system. For every shot fired the brakes were applied to the flywheel and would simulate recoil. They had it so fine tuned it would simulate the correct rise of the barrel during full auto. It was badass.

Only downside to VR research was that humans generally got severe motion sickness and disorientation after short term use.

I did get to helm a nuclear sub while pulling into port in Norfolk. All done in one of the developmental VR Goggles. It even had voice recognition with different responses for given orders. It did make me a bit unsteady and they did make you sit down because they said everyone falls over otherwise. These were powered by the old Silicone Graphics Monster looking Beasts. Basically the same units that rendered the Movie Toy Story were being used by the Military for VR research. It was really cool stuff back then. I can't imagine what they have now?

meh

If he had an eyefinity setup hanging off that getup now THAT would be impressive. ;)

How is this virtual reality? He's moving his head back and forth with his monitor up his nose. Virtual Reality, to me at least, is like in the movie Gamer. Not simply getting so close to the screen that have you move your head to see everything. Rather being able to see the environment based off where your position. Aka full 360 degree view.

Oh and you think that looks heavy...
virtual-reality-helmut.jpg

How is this virtual reality? He's moving his head back and forth with his monitor up his nose. Virtual Reality, to me at least, is like in the movie Gamer. Not simply getting so close to the screen that have you move your head to see everything. Rather being able to see the environment based off where your position. Aka full 360 degree view.

Oh and you think that looks heavy...
virtual-reality-helmut.jpg
Big Daddy training simulator?

I have always wanted to do something similar when people started using Wii remotes except instead of a full size LCD he could use one of these:

300.JPG

Just a thought though

Have HMDs started to get better yet? Last I knew they were rather limited by resolution, understandably.

If he ever used that thing to play counterstrike, I'd imagine all the bunny hopping he'd have to do around the room would be murder on his shoulders.

there seems to be some annoying input lag between movement of head vs on-screen, but maybe it's just my imagination.

I have always wanted to do something similar when people started using Wii remotes except instead of a full size LCD he could use one of these:

300.JPG

Just a thought though

THIS!!!!!

Are there any specs in DirectX for 3D Stereo and 3D controls? That video shows the guy using a head mounted target, which should be more accurate than an accelerometer.

BTW, what's the name of that thing?

Back