DL Dvd Media ***NEW*** Info

Tazzman

Limp Gawd
Ok, This has to have been asked before, I do not want old info, I want *NEW* info. Everyone and the neighbors are selling Dual layer DVD burners, Allmost all OEM's are INC them with new systems IE: Sony, Compaq, etc...

Why is there such a HUGE market for them when the Media to use with them is either not availble or if availble is only 1 to 5 on the shelf & So F*** in expensive??

*****Please do not reply unless you have Documented answers, I do not want to sift through many posts of hear say..******This thread can help many with Acurate fact finding Posts!

I am looking for a reliable source to buy them. I would realy be interested in finding a warehouse type that sells to the movie makers themselves, To buy in case form! I know the movie makers are NOT paying 5 to 20 bucks PER media to make the movies on DVD. I have googled for it and came back with ZIP.....

When i walk into Fry's and go to the media isle there is literaly Thousands of Cd's and DVD types, And if its a lucky day maybe 1 to 3 on the shelf of dual layer, usualy hidden on the lower shelf. WTF????????????????

With this latest tech, Which is NOT NEW, "I have had my DL burner for more than 6 months now" is the media not availble in market quanities and Value?????? :confused:

After all its a F***in peice of plastic that more than likely costs less than .20 cents to produce in quantity, Is there just so many 4.7 GB disks out there that the makers are just affraid they will loose there ass by releaseing the Dl disks before they sell more of the 4.7's??

And why do they basicly sell them in 1 or 3 packs..... This a total BS! the makers are holding back, They have the public by the balls. The Hardware makers are making a KILLING selling something that is basicly wothless!

Makes no sense to me, it would be like auto makers selling cars this month for 90% off, then have the gas selllers stop selling gas!, or just sell 1 to 3 gallons at a time for 25 bucks a gallon?

sac_tagg said:
It's called a "niche market". Right now, there is no real need for 8.5GB of data storage, 4.7GB is more than I use. They ARE available though:

Seems to average out to $4-5 per disc.

A niche...... You dont think that quite few million people who are "Backing up" DVD's dont see the need for a higher disk space, as most DVD's are above the 4.7 format? In order to squeze a full DVD on a 4.7 alot of compression is needed, "Loss of video and audio quality" I have backed up a few that were almost 50% chopped to fit. "yes i back up" I have a 7 year old son who seems to be a magnet for cracking, scratching DVD's" of course he doesnt know why or how it happened, Must be the DVD devil roaming our living room.... :p

I dont see a Niche, The makers of the DL disks seem to have there balls tied by the film makers to try and keep piracy down. Or there is just so many already manufactured 4.7 disks stocked in ware house's they are affraid they will lose millions by marketing a afordable DL disk.
This just amazes me that a DL burner which came out along time ago, and is so heavily marketed now "as stated before is in most newly released OEM PC's" is not easily availble in a cost effective and quantity basis.

Dude, my personal data backup is 2GB on a bad day. Anyone with more than 4.7GB of data needs to SERIOUSLY reevaluate their situation. As for "backing up" a DVD, just get a big HD and save them all there. That's all I do :)

Putting nice video and music collections on your hard drive is fun until it crashes. When you hear that odd click-click-click then it's a mad scramble to get all your crap onto another networked machine or something. Not fun.

Prices will come down, I remember when writable DVDs were this price.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Putting nice video and music collections on your hard drive is fun until it crashes. When you hear that odd click-click-click then it's a mad scramble to get all your crap onto another networked machine or something. Not fun.

Prices will come down, I remember when writable DVDs were this price.

that's why i intend to set up a RAID-5 array with at least 2 - 3 TB....that way if any one HD dies, the data is still recoverable.

of course, something like this costs a TOOOON of $$$ (which is why i don't already have it), but hey, it's a viable solution.

at any rate, i will still have a backup on DVD, just in case lightning strikes or whatever.......

xXaNaXx said:
that's why i intend to set up a RAID-5 array with at least 2 - 3 TB....that way if any one HD dies, the data is still recoverable.

of course, something like this costs a TOOOON of $$$ (which is why i don't already have it), but hey, it's a viable solution.
Or RAID-1. That is just as effective (although not as fast) as RAID-5, at a fraction of the cost.

For some reason, I just don't get why you think this is unreasonable. Everything new that comes out is going to be expensive for as long as it can reasonably be. When DVD burners were released in quantity, they were $600, and the discs that we now pay >$0.50 each for were $16 each.

DL discs have already come down in price. They were $16 each when they first came out too. Give it a little while. They will come down.

As for your question about why the burners are out, but the media is still scarce and expensive... I'm sure that it doesn't cost any more to make a drive DL capable, so why not. It is just one more thing that they can brag about in order to sell their drives.

In the mean time, backup only the movie. That will save quite a bit of space, and make for less compression. Use your originals for the special features. If the video is still not good enough for you after that, there is not much you can do other than spanning it across two discs. If your audio is still sounding too compressed for your tastes, get a new audio system because the audio doesn't get compressed when shrinking.

^^He's right. Nice reply, Flipper.

Anyways, the word is.. DL media doesn't have long to live. BD-ROM and HD-DVD will replace it soon.

TechHead said:
Anyways, the word is.. DL media doesn't have long to live. BD-ROM and HD-DVD will replace it soon.

Yes, when you see the price of BD and HD media, you won't think DL prices are that bad. ;)

Normal consumers aren't going to jump on the BD and HD bandwagon right away anyway. It's going to take YEARS before it even has a measurable market presense. Especially with two competing formats out there.

If MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 backers have their way, normal DVD's are going to be around for awhile. I'm still waiting for a decent H.264 capable DVD player.

Back