DLP vs LCD vs Plasma

triton2k3

n00b
Ok so I guess you can say im out of the loop a little bit. I remember back in the day(10 years ago) you could not play video games on projection TV's. I remember wanting to hook up the SNES but I read something in the manual saying that it will screw up the screen.

So fast forward to today. I am searching for a TV for the apartment. I see DLP rear projection Tv's at a good price, plus I'm used to the 46 inch projection the parents had for the last 10 years. For some reason I do not like LCD Tv's. Maybe I haven't seen any real good ones, but at the same time I'm in college and don't want to spend a crazy amount for a TV yet. FInally there is plasma. The myth about plasma tv's pull me away (don't know if its still true but 7 years dead half way through it loses picture quality by half) Anyway only plasmas I've really looked at are Vizio's.

So can DLP rear projection Tv's hold up on console systems? PS2, Gamecube, maybe even some older consoles like NES and SNES. Which is the best and most cost effect way of going by it. I can careless about how thin the TV is and the size. Price is important cause I am in college, but these 3 tv are pretty much the range im looking at.

This is what I'm looking at:

44" DLP Rear Projection HDTV. Forget the Brand. It was a name brand though. From Target.
originally 1499. I will end up paying around 700.

37" Olevia LCD. Frys has it on sale this weekend. HD ready which means no tuner.
599 this weekend.

42" Vizio Plasma. Nice screen. Don't know how the brand holds up. Has every Input and all kinds of options.
1200 I think at BJ's.

Any sugguestion?

First of all...I'll go ahead and say that I'm biased towards plasma and when I was in the same position you are in I decided that was the technology for me. The myths you have heard don't apply to plasmas made in the last 6 years or so...and some were never true to begin with. Current gen plasmas are rated for 60-90k hours to half-life. Do the math and you'll see that you'll probably want a new tv long before it fails...that rating is also better than a lot of crts.

As far as PQ goes, I really like the current gen DLP's and lcd's have come a long way in this area but are still lacking when it comes to black levels. Plasma will give you not only the best black levels of the 3 techs but also a more "natural" filmlike quality to the colors you see. Plasma is best for regular tv watching or dvd's....but it can also be used for console gaming if common sense is used. I've used my Panasonic 42" plasma for over 3 years now for Xbox and Xbox 360 without issue. Static screens aren't good for any technology but especially for plasma. however all newer gen plasma screens that I am aware of have built in anti-burn technologies that both work without any input and also tools to use if you happen to mess up.

If the tv will primarily be used for gaming then lcd would be your best bet....current gen DLP's are also fine for gaming as far as I'm aware. I still wouldn't use an older tech rear projection...not just because of burn-in but also because games look like crap on them imo.

Whatever you decide to do...I highly suggest going to www.avsforum.com and visiting the various subforums amd then visit the calibration area to help you set up your screen for best PQ.

"Current" DLPs are on their way out. Samsung, and others are releasing the next generation of DLPs starting in March. The lamp is being replaced by 3 ultra bright LEDs, RGB, and the color wheel is being eliminated. Buy all reports this produces a more life like picture.

i have the samsung 5087w dlp and i love it. its a great tv and i feel its way better then the 42inch lcdprojo i had before it.

One thing you really have to watch out for is input lag - quite a few TVs (especially Samsungs) have horrible input lag. You'll have to search around Google for more information, but searching on AVSForum.com could help you there, as there is one massive thread on HDTV input lag.

Be very careful! Some are as high as 4 frames (>100 ms!) of lag. Now, a few TVs have a "game mode" that is supposed to reduce this lag, but it doesn't always work. Other people resort to buying a 3rd party adapter that converts the component video output from a console to VGA - because most TVs don't have lag on VGA inputs, if it has any.

Again, buyer beware!

The above poster ^^ is talking about DLP's (I assume) as far as the input lag. It was a problem with early models but from what I'm hearing now most of the current gen is ok for gaming. It has something to do with the speed of the color wheel from what I understand. My personal experience with a Panasonic plasma and Dell lcd monitor have been very good and I don't notice any kind of lag...input or otherwise.

I work at Fry's and the purchasing trend, among customers and my co-workers, has definitely been towards DLP's. They're larger, cheaper (in price), and last longer. And on a personal note I think the quality is better. So the decision was easy for me.

51F59_lg.jpg

Hitachi 51F59 51" Rear Projection CRT HDTV

I got it from ABC Wharehouse for $794! I'll get it tuesday. I know it's not LCD, DLP, or Plasma but I don't care. I did my research, according to the people over at www.avsforum.com it's supposed to beat most of the new tech TV's in picture quality and price. It's my first HDTV and I'm excited! I can't wait to play some Xbox 360 and watch some stuff on my Xbox Media Center (modded Xbox ftw!) on it.

I would say only get a RP/DLP/LCoS if you're going above 49 inches. For a "bedroom" setup, definitely get a "bedroom-like" hdtv, like a Plasma or LCD. They mix well together, I think...

joemama, input lag isn't limited to DLPs. If you look at the article at behardware.com, LCDs can have (massive) input lag too! My understanding is that the processing of the video on the mainboard is the source of lag, not a limitation of the technology itself.

The biggest issue you need to be aware of for DLPs is the RBE or "rainbow effect". When viewing different colors or motions you will see mini rainbow hues. Not everyone can see them but they are there and due to the color wheel.

The newer LED models comming out are supposed to not have the RBE issue. You should take a good long look at them before buying to see if you can notice it, if not then no worries.

51F59_lg.jpg

Hitachi 51F59 51" Rear Projection CRT HDTV

I got it from ABC Wharehouse for $794! I'll get it tuesday. I know it's not LCD, DLP, or Plasma but I don't care. I did my research, according to the people over at www.avsforum.com it's supposed to beat most of the new tech TV's in picture quality and price. It's my first HDTV and I'm excited! I can't wait to play some Xbox 360 and watch some stuff on my Xbox Media Center (modded Xbox ftw!) on it.

Be sure to report back on how you like it, okay? Preferably in a thread titled something like "ZOMG! MY $794 51" PROJECTION TV ARRIVED" so I don't miss it.

The biggest issue you need to be aware of for DLPs is the RBE or "rainbow effect". When viewing different colors or motions you will see mini rainbow hues. Not everyone can see them but they are there and due to the color wheel.

The newer LED models comming out are supposed to not have the RBE issue. You should take a good long look at them before buying to see if you can notice it, if not then no worries.

There again, just like the plasma myths this one won't die. This was prevelant early on in the technology but has all but been eliminated in the past couple years. Even so, only a small percentage of people could actually see the "rainbows" but they apparently were very vocal about it. Newer DLP's have faster color wheels and from what I hear the next gen DLP's will practically eliminate the "rainbow effect".

I'm actually a plasma fan and I'm not trying to champion the DLP technology...I just like to think of myself as a myth buster.:p

There again, just like the plasma myths this one won't die. This was prevelant early on in the technology but has all but been eliminated in the past couple years. Even so, only a small percentage of people could actually see the "rainbows" but they apparently were very vocal about it. Newer DLP's have faster color wheels and from what I hear the next gen DLP's will practically eliminate the "rainbow effect".

I'm actually a plasma fan and I'm not trying to champion the DLP technology...I just like to think of myself as a myth buster.:p

I just returned a 2006 Samsung DLP because of the visible RBE. Has it lessened itself overtime? Sure but it can still be an issue.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_WD_65831/4505-6484_7-32121615.html?tag=pdtl-list

There is a newer 2007 model with RBE mentioned. The new Samsung LED DLPs are said to not have the RBE.

Also Plasma is still plagued by image retention. If you do heavy gaming you can have retained images that can be annoying, and can take a while to disappear.

LCDs also suffer from clouding issues, and sonys SXRD suffer from Greenblob issues.

For great reading visit www.avsforum.com and educate yourself before purchasing.

Just remember that not everyone will be bothered or have these issues. I find that ignorance is the best because if you do not know about the problem, then it may not exist ;)

I just returned a 2006 Samsung DLP because of the visible RBE. Has it lessened itself overtime? Sure but it can still be an issue.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_WD_65831/4505-6484_7-32121615.html?tag=pdtl-list

There is a newer 2007 model with RBE mentioned. The new Samsung LED DLPs are said to not have the RBE.

Also Plasma is still plagued by image retention. If you do heavy gaming you can have retained images that can be annoying, and can take a while to disappear.

LCDs also suffer from clouding issues, and sonys SXRD suffer from Greenblob issues.

For great reading visit www.avsforum.com and educate yourself before purchasing.

Just remember that not everyone will be bothered or have these issues. I find that ignorance is the best because if you do not know about the problem, then it may not exist ;)
The same avsforum that I suggested a few posts above? I've been a member there about 6 years now.;)

joemama, unfortunately, even the newer DLP projectors will have RBE issues.

For example, the new DLP budget front projector darling, the Optoma HD72, uses a 4x color wheel. This won't work well for me because anything less than 5x speed I will see massive rainbows. 5x I can barely see them, and only on a new bulb. After about 100 hours of bulb aging it will dim just enough for me to not see them on my 5x speed six segment color wheel Benq 8700 projector.

With that said, it is possible to get used to them. Unfortunately, I could not wish away the rainbows on a 4x speed projector. :(

joemama, unfortunately, even the newer DLP projectors will have RBE issues.

For example, the new DLP budget front projector darling, the Optoma HD72, uses a 4x color wheel. This won't work well for me because anything less than 5x speed I will see massive rainbows. 5x I can barely see them, and only on a new bulb. After about 100 hours of bulb aging it will dim just enough for me to not see them on my 5x speed six segment color wheel Benq 8700 projector.

With that said, it is possible to get used to them. Unfortunately, I could not wish away the rainbows on a 4x speed projector. :(
What I said was that the yet to be released new gen DLP's are supposed to eliminate the RBE but of course that remains to be seen. However...DLP seems to be one of the more popular technologies at the moment and that wouldn't be true if a large portion of the owners were sensitive to the RBE. Personally I can't see it either on displays or sets owned by friends and I suspect this is true for the vast majority of people. Even so, I chose plasma and I'm very happy with my choice.:cool:

Of course... After all, experience precedes existence! :D

"Current" DLPs are on their way out. Samsung, and others are releasing the next generation of DLPs starting in March. The lamp is being replaced by 3 ultra bright LEDs, RGB, and the color wheel is being eliminated. Buy all reports this produces a more life like picture.

Rainbow Effect is caused by the color wheel. Therefore, no color wheel = no RBE.

joemama, yes you're right - the nextgen ones, not the usual stuff based on current tech. I missed that

Anyways, aside from RBE and blurred effects in panning movements that is similar to LCD blur - but more accurately shown as contouring when a face moves around the screen, for example. DLP is quite good - very little screendoor effect, and colors can be more accurate because of its pure digital nature - um...provided the DLP firmware lets you have better control over the mirrors for color accuracy!

Oh another thing - RBE is hard to spot on the typical dim DLP RPTV. A front projector setup in a totally dark room will show RBE much more than a DLP RPTV that has a limited viewing angle - if you don't look at it straight on the brightness is not even half of what it should be! It's as bad, maybe even worse, than a TN LCD panel! Those damned cheap fresnel lenses. Grrrr.

I can see why you prefer Plasma for a TV set. I would prefer LCD or LCOS if I had to have a flat panel. RPTVs suck for viewing angles.

With 3 LEDs DLP should be damned fantastic, aside from the viewing angle.

Personally, I can't stand plasma - I like to sit close to the screen and the dithering artifacts from plasma are horrid - worse than DLP! Have they improved plasma so that they are no worse than DLP when sitting at 1.5x screen widths away? I think the Panasonics were better in that regard than others, but it really bothers me. It's like a swarm of bees living in your TV set!

In theory, LCOS sets are supposed to be the best - true 5 ms response times.

thanks for all the information

the DLP I saw was a RCA HD44LPW62. the original price was 1499 and its sale price is 749. I'm gonna research it now and make a decision on that TV. Im going to check out avsforum too.

Back