DNS at webhost before they will allow you to add domains

Toytown

Gawd
Why do hosts, force you to move DNS over to them before they will allow you to add your website with them?

My friend was hosting some sites at vexxhost and had to remove some of them so he could change the directory structure around. However after removing some of the sites, they couldnt be re-added as the cpanel kept erroring saying the domain's DNS wasnt with them and that i should move the DNS to them or enter the details into etc/ips.remotedns (was worded much better), i tried the ips.remotedns file but it did nothing......end result several sites down until support answers the question (several hours), which requires them to do it manually.

Back when i signed up to site5 last year and cancelled very quickly, one of the reasons was also due to them trying to force me to use there DNS, or have to contact them through email everytime i wanted to add a domain.

So back to my original question (as i cant see the logic), why do hosts try and force this?

EDIT - the reply i eventually got back was
"This is a security issue to protect you and other clients, in a case where a user can create a domain name like "Yahoo.com" -- All emails will sent to Yahoo.com from our server will be sent to him which can cause huge privacy and security problems. You risk having all of your emails read/stolen/not delivered if you are on a server that doesn't have this option on."

Not sure how true this is, as i have only run my own colo servers and with the software on them it could have never happened as the mail server always went to the net to get MX records even for local domains. But i guess with cpanel making mailaccounts etc when you create the domain and the mail servers not checking if the account is already local then this could be a problem......if you dont bother to configure the mail server correctly.

Back