DNS issue on SBS 2011 server ... resolving host, odd errors, 5-6 sec response fromDNS

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i am working on a sbs2011 server that is running dns, dhcp, AD, etc ... the usual stuff.

when browsing the internet from a workstation, chrome sits resolving host for a long time and sometimes the page loads sometimes it doesn't. if i ping lets say cnn.com it will take 4-6 seconds before it resolves and then shows a decent ping. wireshark confirmed that there is a long delay before the sbs server resolves. now if i go into a workstation and manually set the DNS on the NIC to google's DNS servers, websites pop, pings are normal and everything is great. so i checked the forwarders on the sbs2011 server and they are setup correctly to google. i have no idea what it could be. the errors on the sbs server show things like DNS server could not bind TCP socket or DNS server could not open socket for the address of the sbs server. if it matters, the sbs2011 server is a hyper-v virtual machine.

where would i check to see what ip the service is bound to?

*edit*
oh i see what you mean, no the netstat showed that its bound to the right IP

**edit**
another odd thing, from the workstation i can ping the IP of the sbs server but i cannot ping its domain name ... hmmm but its FQDN (.domain.local) works

Last edited:
another odd thing, from the workstation i can ping the IP of the sbs server but i cannot ping its domain name ... hmmm but its FQDN (.domain.local) works

You need to put the domain in the workstations suffix search order, you can do that in the DHCP settings or do it through group policy or even just do it on the individual workstation.

As for the DNS issue, does it work correctly when you're on the SBS 2011 server or is it slow there as well? Is the SBS server using itself for DNS?

Back