Do 9800GX2's just die for no reason?

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
So I moved a machine from one case to another and now one of my 9800GX2's is no longer working... all LEDs are green but the Blue LED in the back does not light... machine does not see the card at all... weird thing is the machine still boots and I can remote into it via logmein :confused:

anyone else had a similar issue? the other 9800GX2 that was in this box is working fine :grr:

i would just check the usual stuff like the cables on the psu. check the bios if you can with a different card, see if anything changed. maybe remount the card. but its possible the card was already on its way out and the move killed it.

ya I tried switching cables, putting it in a different PCIe slot, different computer, nothing, the card looks like its working (fan spins, all LEDs are green but the Blue LED in the back does not light)

sounds like the systems not enabling the video even though its getting power. only other thing would be to do some google searching and see what happens. last resort, bake it lol.

yes they do. 9800 gx2's are make out of glass and tissue paper, the mere fact that you questioned if they die for no reason has made them not work.

I've had that problem before with a 9800GX2. Ended up being that the card wasn't seated in the slot properly. I removed it and reseated it a few times then it started putting out video again.

I had a similar issue with an 8800GT a while back. All of a sudden any type of 3D usage would create a BSOD. windows was fine but it was a no go on folding or gaming which made it pretty useless to me. I even baked it and shipped it to someone here ot see if they could get it running with no luck. It just died, i wasn't even pushing it that hard as it was watercooled and not overvolted. evga screwed me by refusing the lifetime warranty since i didn't register it. 3 cheers to xfx for providing dbl lifetime on their cards, i bought a used 5870 and have been loving it and praying for a useful gpu client.

I had a problem with a GX2 giving me artifacts. I took it apart, cleaned it properly, baked it, replaced the TIM, put it together (without the shroud this time) and presto, working GX2. Granted the kitchen stunk like hot electronics for a little while, but overall it was worth it on an out of warranty card.

Yes I think they do. Mine was water-cooled (and clocked to 756 but that obviously was nothing to do with it ;) ) and ran FAH 24/7. Then one day the daughter-card blew. Then a while later the main card just went. At all times, both green LED's working but the card just slowly disappeared from view.

I think the PCIE bridge is flaky to be honest.

evga screwed me by refusing the lifetime warranty since i didn't register it. 3 cheers to xfx for providing dbl lifetime on their cards,

FYI, You still need to register XFX cards just as you do EVGA cards to get the lifetime warranty.

FYI, You still need to register XFX cards just as you do EVGA cards to get the lifetime warranty.
I don't believe XFX has a time limit, however. EVGA requires you to register the card within 30 days of purchase.

FLECOM

yes, they do.

I've RMA'd at least two of them that I can remember. And I only bought 3 or 4.

I'm down to my last one. It's fresh from RMA and folding properly :)

Do 9800GX2s just die? Yes, they do. I had three that did that.

If you haven't already, pull the card(s) apart, remove the internal SLI/PCIe bridge connectors out and reseat them. If you have some dialectric grease, apply it to the SLI ports and to the two SLI connectors. I was able to revive a GTX 295 by doing that.

I don't believe XFX has a time limit, however. EVGA requires you to register the card within 30 days of purchase.

IMG_20101119_235655_1020x768.jpg

Back