Do all games get their sounds from the same place?

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
Pigs in all games sound just like pigs for warcraft 2 farms, witcher 2 and many other games that have pigs. The Doom2 kill the imp, camel sound also heard everywhere including movies. And possibly the most common is rock/concrete scraping against rock/concrete whenever dungeons have mechanical doors or walls (think ayleid ruins in Oblivion). Is there a repository where people get their sounds from? Or do sound people just use the same methods all the time?

Some of it is the same methods, some of it is licensing sounds. There are packs of sounds out there you can license. Foley work is hard and can be expensive. So some people will just purchase sounds instead, or at least some of the sounds.

The big cat-things in Dark Souls (Darkroot Garden) make the exact same attacking noise as the Ogres from Quake.

There are a lot of people who sell sounds for use for those who do not want to bother making their own. In photography they call them stock photos, and the same thing happens for ads and such. That does not bother me so much, but what does bother me is that many times these groups that sell stock photos, sounds, etc.. Are just as lazy as the people they sell them too, they will actually just steal them form random games, websites and movies and typically they never get caught.

There are a lot of people who sell sounds for use for those who do not want to bother making their own. In photography they call them stock photos, and the same thing happens for ads and such. That does not bother me so much, but what does bother me is that many times these groups that sell stock photos, sounds, etc.. Are just as lazy as the people they sell them too, they will actually just steal them form random games, websites and movies and typically they never get caught.

Why is it lazy to buy sounds? Some games have thousands of things that need sound effects, it's expensive and time consuming to record all of them.

I liked the sound effects from Medal Of Honor Allied Assault. Some of the older games had better effects for guns and explosions. My favorite grenade sound effect was in Return To Castle Wolfenstein/Enemy Territory. Taken from Saving Private Ryan. MOH Allied Assault had some of the best radio call effects also along with background ambient effects. I liked the radio calls also in Desert Combat mod for BF1942. Better radio than all the other newer Battlefields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EnVrAquBA&feature=related

Last edited:
Everytime I head a bear, dog, cat, chicken, or whatever in a game I instantly get Ultima Online flashbacks. I feel like the sounds haven't changed in a long time.

Why is it lazy to buy sounds? Some games have thousands of things that need sound effects, it's expensive and time consuming to record all of them.

I am not trying to say they should not be allowed to do it, but it is still lazy, game dev is art and you wouldnt pay an artist to buy something and sell it to you, you pay them to make the art and make it unique.

I am not trying to say they should not be allowed to do it, but it is still lazy, game dev is art and you wouldnt pay an artist to buy something and sell it to you, you pay them to make the art and make it unique.

No, game development is a business.

The big cat-things in Dark Souls (Darkroot Garden) make the exact same attacking noise as the Ogres from Quake.
Reznor used a lot of effects from Sound Ideas, one of the more popular libraries.

He's saying that some resellers just steal files from other libraries or games. That's not only lazy, but quite illegal.

No, game development is a business.
It's both.

Short answer: Yes they do.

Long answer: These days generating your own sounds internally takes a lot of time and resources and effort that just isn't practical. It's a lot cheaper in the long run to pay a flat fee, and gain access to a huge sound library than it is to pay out studio and employee time to manufacture all new "sticky goo" sounds, when there's a plethora out there that you can simply adjust a few knobs on and have a newish enough for the consumer sound. And unless you're going super crazy, like DICE did with BF3 with their weapon sounds (which you can do when you're big and have cash to toss around like sand on the beach), you're simply better off paying $5000 (guess) and accessing a sound effect library of 10 million sounds (probable exaggeration) than spending $500,000 to rent out a studio and play around with silly putty and elmers glue to make "really fucking cool slimy sound"

I've heard starcraft sounds in sci-fi movies, I've heard movie sounds in games, I've heard one games sounds in another game of completely different genres!

He's saying that some resellers just steal files from other libraries or games. That's not only lazy, but quite illegal.

It's both.

I'm commenting on developers using it, not the people they license it from.

As nice as that thought is, developers are for-profit companies. Whatever the ideals are the end goal is profit. In this case it's cheaper and takes less time then spending exponentially more money on recording hundreds to thousands of unique sounds. It's a business decision.

The injured grunt after shooting or killing the enemies in Goldeneye 64 is all over the place.

Back