Do cellphones hurt LCDS?

Uhm.. I don't know about anyone else, but I highly doubt that cellphones would even interfere with the monitor, let alone hurt it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Most LCDs are completely digital, so i don't think RF would interfere at all.

nick_sabatino said:
Most LCDs are completely digital, so i don't think RF would interfere at all.

Yeah I don't think any kind of EM interference would occur with an LCD...they're digital. I HAVE seen some funky things happen with cell phones...my roommate's cell phone makes his speakers crackle and pop when it rings. But I don't think an lcd could possibly see anything like that.

yeah my alarm buzzes every time my cellphone goes off on the nighstand. Rather annoying.

Everytime my cell phone rings near my moniter (2005fpw), the screen makes a strange popping noise.

When I have my phone next to a CRT, before it makes an audible ring, it makes the screen shake like mad. It's like a precursor really. I keep it away from my screens now adays.

Highly doubtful....

I remember getting the interference on old crt's but never lcd....

They just fry your brain instead ;)

cell phone speakers & vibrators (both used as ringers) use very small electromagnets in them. When the phone rings it emits some small EMP's. These could interfere with some devices, but not very likely to damage them.

For a better example take one of those giant old fashion phones with an actually bell ringer thats operated by a solenoid and you'd see some real interference! (stronger magnets = more interference)

Traditional speakers have larger magnets that are usually large enough to cause damage to CRT's. (usually discoloration = green/purple)

Blackberrys are aweful for electronic noise get one around your speakers and it's LOUD but as far as RF being bad for LCDs, I can think of one word "phooey"

chrisf6969 said:
cell phone speakers & vibrators (both used as ringers) use very small electromagnets in them. When the phone rings it emits some small EMP's. These could interfere with some devices, but not very likely to damage them.

It's not the magents or speakers inside a cell phone which causes analog device distortion. As people have noted before this is a precursor action to the phone call even ringing. It usually occurs when a cell phone ramps up its transmit power right before a call or when syncing up with the local tower.

gotcha..... I thought it was the EMP causing the problem not the RF.

Speaking of RF. My dad has a stupid HAM radio guy next to him with this HUGE ASS 30+ ft tower with 2 spiderweb looking antennas on each side about 10' square and when he's using it. It messes up nearly everything in his house. TV, phones, etc...

chrisf6969 said:

For a better example take one of those giant old fashion phones with an actually bell ringer thats operated by a solenoid and you'd see some real interference! (stronger magnets = more interference)

Traditional speakers have larger magnets that are usually large enough to cause damage to CRT's. (usually discoloration = green/purple)

While this is true, the EMP emmitted is not primarily the reason for the shaking/poping etc. As said, the shaking/noise/poping happens before the phone rings/vibrates. The signal input/output is increased when you have a call, thereby creating interference with nearby electronic equipment.

Cell phones hurt LCDs! Absolutely!

The last time I threw one at a monitor there was a big problem.

Back