Do i get this right? Crysis is unplayable on VeryHigh settings on any current system?

39 FPS avg. 1440 x 900 settings on HIGH. ( I can't wait to see all the liars post that they get 66 FPS at that res. with their rigs)

Any more questions smart guy? You see i've got a decent average (according to you guys who think 30 FPS is acceptable), I think the game play stinks during a firefight. If i'm crawling through the jungle....yeah no problem. When I go to cap some goons, it slows down.

I want it smooth.... Half-Life Episode 2 smooth. And I shouldn't have to pay 5 G's for it.

I asked you to run the benchmark at 1680 x 1050, not 1440 x 900. Since it is entirely possible that your monitor does not support 1680 x 1050 you cannot compare your 39FPS at that res to my 30FPS at my res. If this thread is still alive I may run the test and post results when I get off work.

Hey I have a question for you guys, and maybe I can get a couple suggestions.

I would like to know the best resolution to try. My monitor is 16:10 (1680 x 1050). Should I try to keep this aspect ratio for the best appearance (by using 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, etc.), or use the aspect ratio that is default for the game ( if there is one)?

I tried 1280 x 960 last night and it ran OK. I don't think that it was a "natural" resolution for the game however, and I could afford to snag a few more FPS.

system in sig

Hey I have a question for you guys, and maybe I can get a couple suggestions.

I would like to know the best resolution to try. My monitor is 16:10 (1680 x 1050). Should I try to keep this aspect ratio for the best appearance (by using 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, etc.), or use the aspect ratio that is default for the game ( if there is one)?

I tried 1280 x 960 last night and it ran OK. I don't think that it was a "natural" resolution for the game however, and I could afford to snag a few more FPS.

system in sig

If at all possible try and run at your monitors native resolution. Unfortunately since you are running a 7800GS you are really going to have to tweak your settings to get something you will be happy with. I would suggest trying 1680 x 1050 and scaling the detail settings until you reach an acceptable level, although it is highly likely your monitors native resolution will be unattainable with that card.

I asked you to run the benchmark at 1680 x 1050, not 1440 x 900. Since it is entirely possible that your monitor does not support 1680 x 1050 you cannot compare your 39FPS at that res to my 30FPS at my res. If this thread is still alive I may run the test and post results when I get off work.

I don't have a monitor that supports that res... obviously.

But you say your 30 FPS is acceptable to you. I say that my 39 FPS is unacceptable.

You keep saying you can't do comparisons because of work. But you sure took your time writing that long dissertation about why there must be something wrong with my rig.

I don't have a monitor that supports that res... obviously.

But you say your 30 FPS is acceptable to you. I say that my 39 FPS is unacceptable.

You keep saying you can't do stuff because of work. But you sure took your time writing that long dissertation about why there must be something wrong with my rig.

That's because I am at work but not "working", obviously :p

My monitor looks like serious balls as 1024x768 - native res is 1920x1200, and on my 30" its 2560x1600 - my 30" won't even support anything that low.

I don't mind 1440x900 - but it all depends on who you're talking to =P

I know what you mean, my laptop's LCD is 1920x1200 native, and even though it is still technically top-of-the-line, I have to play all the newest games at 1440x900 or 1280x800, and yes, it's blurry, but not THAT blurry. Hell, it works as a bit of a weak antialiasing, LOL! ;)

39 FPS avg. 1440 x 900 settings on HIGH. ( I can't wait to see all the liars post that they get 66 FPS at that res. with their rigs)

Any more questions smart guy? You see i've got a decent average (according to you guys who think 30 FPS is acceptable), I think the game play stinks during a firefight. If i'm crawling through the jungle....yeah no problem. When I go to cap some goons, it slows down.

I want it smooth.... Half-Life Episode 2 smooth. And I shouldn't have to pay 5 G's for it.

Then wait, you whiner.

"I want everything right now for cheap"

Spoiled.

Please, QQ.

That's because I am at work but not "working", obviously :p

Well, the only thing that's obvious is that your rig isn't that much better than mine, if it all.

You're happy with your performance...that's fine. I say and I maintain, that Crysis and the hype that goes with it is all a scam to get us to upgrade.

I say and I maintain, that Crysis and the hype that goes with it is all a scam to get us to upgrade.

Only for those who aren't willing to settle for anything less than high settings.

There are a lot of gamers out there who are more than willing to turn down their settings in order to get decent gameplay.

It's amazing how people like me can put up with 20 fps in games with no problem, since we are used to it... Then there's those freaks who say that EVERYTHING has to be at 60 +fps average or else they won't buy/play a game... Which means they aren't actually gamers at all... It's really the EASIEST way to tell a gamer from a "has to be on the bleeding edge just to be there" type person... :rolleyes:

I'm not waiting for anything. I've already said I probably won't even buy Crysis. It's a SCAM I say. A SCAM.

No, it's not a scam. Just because you don't want to upgrade your hardware, doesn't mean nobody else wants to.

Like I said, this is just a big QQ thread, get over it.

What? Wrong. If you have a dual core system and a fast harddrive or RAID array, you will not experience much slow down when recording video.

Nope, I tried recording the demo flythrough and it dropped me from mid 30s to 20s.

C2D @ 3ghz, 2gb ram and 500gb Seagate HD 7200.10.

What?

Do you even know what the hell you are talking about or do you just string buzzwords found elsewhere into pseudo-sentences?

Half-Life 2 is NOT a brand new game.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is not a brand new game, eh?

Ok.

Nope, I tried recording the demo flythrough and it dropped me from mid 30s to 20s.

C2D @ 3ghz, 2gb ram and 500gb Seagate HD 7200.10.

Oh damn...looks like you're going to have to UPGRADE. YOUR SYSTEM ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH, LOSER.

HA HA HA HA HA.

That's what the execs at Intel and nVidia are trying to make you think.

That's why I am officially boycotting this game.

Half-Life 2: Episode 2 is not a brand new game, eh?
Ok.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm guessing they mean the engine behind it isn't all new. EP2 has some improvements over the original but its not a new engine like Crysis/UT3.

Also the Crysis engine deals with a lot more scenic stuff than HL2, and it loads the whole level not just little sections at a time, so its much more of a strain on the system than HL2.

If you think Crysis is just there to get money from your pockets, turn down the settings.

"High" in Crysis is like "Ultra Uber" in HL2:EP2. Try medium settings or realize that your system is older.

I'm not waiting for anything. I've already said I probably won't even buy Crysis. It's a SCAM I say. A SCAM.

Scam? No. It's a showcase for the future of the gaming industry. it's an exhibition as to what a very well planned, modular and complete engine can accomplish in real-time.

At best, it's a TECH DEMO for Cry-engine 3. A Demo which is meant to excel with future hardware. The Unreal 3 engine, or the Half Life engines are meant for Now, today's hardware.

Am I upset with the performance? Well, not really. I mean, I've expected this all along. Anyone that was expecting 50+ FPS had to have been delusional. I mean, cmon, this is the most advanced game to date. Pure and simple.

Oh damn...looks like you're going to have to UPGRADE. YOUR SYSTEM ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH, LOSER.

HA HA HA HA HA.

That's the most unintelligent, out of context, uninformed thing I've read on this forum to date. I've been around here for awhile, so that's saying a lot. Excelsior!.

HA HA HA HA HA.

Wow wtf? I was talking about how using FRAPS to record lowered my FPS.

:confused: what does your post have to do with that at all?

And for the record, the game plays damn smooth @ all High @ 1280x1024, no complaints at all, looks beautiful.

Wow wtf? I was talking about how using FRAPS to record lowered my FPS.

:confused: what does your post have to do with that at all?

And for the record, the game plays damn smooth @ all High @ 1280x1024, no complaints at all, looks beautiful.

FRAPS didn't lower anything. FRAPS is a 600 kb program. That's your FPS.

Denial. You're all in denial that this game is meant to scam us into upgrading.

You guys just don't want to admit it.

Dude seriously.. learn to fucking read

I was using fraps to record a movie. Yes, it lowered my FPS a lot when it ran, and I have no plans on upgrading so I have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Oh... My... God...

SuperPi is a 140kb program yet it can slow a single core'd system to a CRAWL. \

Now I think you're saying these things just to provoke people.

Oh... MY God... Dude, just stick to complaining, it'll get you far in life... :rolleyes:

(meant for Ogilvy -- kinda funny we both said basically the same thing at first, LOL!)

That's the most unintelligent, out of context, uninformed thing I've read on this forum to date. I've been around here for awhile, so that's saying a lot. Excelsior!.

That's means a lot coming from someone who signs off his post with "Excelsior!"

Scam? No. It's a showcase for the future of the gaming industry. it's an exhibition as to what a very well planned, modular and complete engine can accomplish in real-time.

At best, it's a TECH DEMO for Cry-engine 3. A Demo which is meant to excel with future hardware. The Unreal 3 engine, or the Half Life engines are meant for Now, today's hardware.

Am I upset with the performance? Well, not really. I mean, I've expected this all along. Anyone that was expecting 50+ FPS had to have been delusional. I mean, cmon, this is the most advanced game to date. Pure and simple.[/B]

According to PC Gamer's review, Crysis scored a 98% (tying with HL2 and something else as highest rated game in PC gamer history), which puts it a *tad* higher than just a "tech demo" ;)

That's means a lot coming from someone who signs off his post with "Excelsior!"

Joke 1, Ogilvy 0.

According to PC Gamer's review, Crysis scored a 98% (tying with HL2 and something else as highest rated game in PC gamer history), which puts it a *tad* higher than just a "tech demo"

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's an incredible game to be sure. All I'm saying is that the GAME is the least of the developer's worries right now, it's getting other developers to use the engine that's so important.

That's a hit and miss....

1.) Yes, you'll need to upgrade to get 60+ fps in this game
2.) Was it their sole purpose to release this game with the intention of forcing everyone to upgrade? Most likely not....
3.) Did they make a game ahead of it's time in order to put their engine out there for future development...? Personally I'd say yes....
4.) Can this game be optimized better and they're holding a lot of it back to make people buy new hardware (see #2) - Who knows...?

Oh... My... God...

You know its funny, he talks about how everyone is being forced to upgrade and are idiots.. yet he had 2 8800gts 640mb cards and now has 2 8800GTs. :rolleyes:

Oh... My... God...

SuperPi is intended to do that. FRAPS is just a measuring tool with a little cheap graphic counter in the corner of your screen. You're gonna blame 10-15 FPS drop on FRAPS?

The denial runs deep and strong, I feel, young padawans.

SuperPi is intended to do that. FRAPS is just a measuring tool with a little cheap graphic counter in the corner of your screen. You're gonna blame 10-15 FPS drop on FRAPS?

He said he was using it to record a movie (actually, he has said that twice so far), not just display the FPS - you just can't read.

You know its funny, he talks about how everyone is being forced to upgrade and are idiots.. yet he had 2 8800gts 640mb cards and now has 2 8800GTs. :rolleyes:

I only had two 8800 GTS' for about a week, then I sold one.

I do have two 8800 GTs, but one is still sealed and waiting for the ebay buyer to pay, which he better, or I will burn his feedback.;)

That, coupled with the fact he Joined on the 30th of October, and all his posts have been in this forum... makes me question his "Troll" status.

I mean, cmon, saying things like "Fraps is a 600kb Program" and asserting that it won't hurt your FPS is crazy...

Code:
:BEGIN
Echo This is an endless loop!
GOTO BEGIN

Oh! Look! 1kb, and it'll load your system.

Uhm, Recording the video loads your IO bandwidth to the point of saturation... Lots different than a tiny counter in the top window.

Dude seriously.. learn to fucking read

I was using fraps to record a movie. Yes, it lowered my FPS a lot when it ran, and I have no plans on upgrading so I have no idea wtf you are talking about.

Who is in denial? You, the guy who just bought 2x8800GTs or me, the guy who has no problem with his FPS?

He said he was using it to record a movie (actually, he has said that twice so far), not just display the FPS - you just can't read.

I challenged one dude to post a real-time timedemo showing that they don't dip below 30 FPS with high settings during a firefight in Crysis. Using FRAPS. That person made the lame excuse that FRAPS would hurt his FPS by 10 if he tried to record something like that for me as proof.

I thought that this person was trying to do just that? If that's not the case, I apologize.

Who is in denial? You, the guy who just bought 2x8800GTs or me, the guy who has no problem with his FPS?

Me? The guy who just bought two 8800 GTs, and sold one for 75 dollars profit?

Yes, I am in denial.

I challenged one dude to post a real-time timedemo showing that they don't dip below 30 FPS with high settings during a firefight in Crysis. Using FRAPS. That person made the lame excuse that FRAPS would hurt his FPS by 10 if he tried to record something like that for me as proof.

I thought that this person was trying to do just that? If that's not the case, I apologize.

Fraps does drop your FPS when you turn it on to record a movie.

Fraps does drop your FPS when you turn it on to record a movie.

Which is why I uninstalled it from my system. It gives inaccurate results like 3Dmark06 does.

Ogilvy... Do you really think Crysis is a scam? If so, what did you think about the launch of Oblivion? It was unplayable on current hardware (at maximum settings, like the 7800GTX) and the next GPU revision, the 7900GTX, only helped a tiny bit (like the 8800GT is doing for GTX and GTS users). It wasn't until the launch of the 8800 series cards that Oblivion was playable with HDR, 4x AA, full details etc...

Which is why I uninstalled it from my system. It gives inaccurate results like 3Dmark06 does.

Ogilvy... Do you really think Crysis is a scam? If so, what did you think about the launch of Oblivion? It was unplayable on current hardware (at maximum settings, like the 7800GTX) and the next GPU revision, the 7900GTX, only helped a tiny bit (like the 8800GT is doing for GTX and GTS users). It wasn't until the launch of the 8800 series cards that Oblivion was playable with HDR, 4x AA, full details etc...

I never played Oblivion, so I can't speak to it. I know some people were disappointed at first with it's performance on high-end systems.

I think Crysis is totally different than that. I really think they purposely intended this game to be tough on even the highest end systems. The hype, the sponsorship involved...new nVidia cards coming out. New Intel CPU's coming out. It all adds up.

It's not that i'm against hype or awesome games or awesome hardware. I enjoy that stuff as much as you guys.

But I believe they could have made Crysis just as awesome and a lot easier on all of our thousands of dollars of hardware. That's what is insulting about it. Unless something changes to soften me up to it, I really don't think i'll be buying it.

Yet another who proves my point. "I'm upgrading for Crysis". That's all i've been trying to say.

I'm upgrading because most of my computer is 2 years old. Crysis is just the first game that is pushing it more: There will be others.

Then wait a few years. The tech isn't there yet. This is nothign new.

Well, the only thing that's obvious is that your rig isn't that much better than mine, if it all.

You're happy with your performance...that's fine. I say and I maintain, that Crysis and the hype that goes with it is all a scam to get us to upgrade.

Occams razor: they made a game that can't run at full options on todays best ahrdware.

this has happened thousands of times. It's far more likely than a scam deal between Nvidia, intel, and Crytech,.

Back