Do I need a CPU Cooler like (Ultra 120) with the Q6600???

it is ALOT cooler... and the quietest

probably lower temp by 7* and make your computer alot less nosiey

If you're not overclocking and have half-decent airflow in your case-no. If you plan to overclock much, then yeah, a good aftermarket cooler would help keep temps within the reasonable range.

If you decide not to buy a aftermarket heatsink, make sure you buy a retail processor in a box and not an OEM one. OEM's don't come with heatsinks.

I never have tried overclocking, but I figured I'd possibly give it a try if it's easy. The case I'm getting is the Antec p182 case and I'm buying an extra fan, so I'll have a total of 4 fans in the case. I've heard this is a good case with good air circulation and cooling.

I'm also only using a 320 MB 8800 GTS. So I'm not using a complete top of the line card.

Anyways, if getting the Ultra 120 Extreme would help me out a lot, then I'll get it, but if it really is not necessary at all, then I don't want to get it.

**How about this. If I purchase all of my components for my computer, and set my whole computer up, could I still purchase and put the Ultra 120 extreme on my motherboard at a later time? Would it be hard? Or would I have to take apart my entire computer to place this thing on my motherboard. **

AFAIK, you have to take the mobo out for the mounting plate, so it's best to do it now.

as it is, I bought the Ultra120 for my Q6600 build

Yah, it would be rather hard, i believe, to put it on after the fact.

I would get the better HSF anyways. Just like the power supply, when you are building a new machine you dont want to skimp. The stock hsf may "work" but I would sleep better knowing it had the best! :D

Sorry to hijack this, but it's pretty much what I wanted to know, except that I have the Artic Pro 7. Where is the Artic pro compared to the 120? How much better is the 120? Is the Artic in between the 120 and stock somewhere?

Thanks
Ryan

Ultra 120 Extreme > Ultra 120 => Tuniq 120 > Infinity > Ninja > Freezer 7Pro > Intel Stock

I'm not sure where the Zalmans fit into there, lol... someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Zalmans are hit and miss, from what I've seen. Threads where people rave about them... threads where people rant that their new 9700LED copper is hardly an improvement over stock. I generally don't recommend them for this reason, but there are some people that are hardcore Zalman fanatics, and they will /always/ buy. Every review I've seen has put the Zalman behind the Ultra 120 Extreme and Tuniq Tower, though.

While the downward facing coolers are proving to be inferior at cooling the CPU as opposed to tower coolers, it is also good to consider the cooling a downward CPU cooler provides for the Mobo.

example. the 7700cu blows over the mosfet cooler on my Asus mobo, but since there is a heatpipe connecting the NB and the mosfet coolers, my CPU fan is essentially helping keep my motherboard cool without the need of additional fans. An important thing to note for the silent computing person out there.

Although I am thinking I will use a thermalright tower in my next build (an ultra120 extreme or that crazy IFX-14)...

Back