do i need a new PSU?

JeRi

Limp Gawd
well after trying to isolate the instability issues i was having with my overclocks, i think i've come to the conclusion that my psu isn't giving me enough power to handle everything overclocked. I've got my venice at 2.68ghz with 1.6v, my ocz rev 2's at 243mhz at 2.9v and i had my 2 6600gt's at 555/1110 before (they're at stock for now). after finally getting my cpu and memory prime and memtest stable, i try running 3dmark05 just to see what kind of improvements i got with the new overclock. so i run it the first time, it kicks me back to the desktop during the proxycon test. so i reboot and try again. this time the computer restarts itself during proxycon, leaving me really frustrated. then i tried some gaming yesterday. played fable: tlc for about 45 minutes. make some good progress and as i'm about to save, i get kicked back to the desktop, which made me furious, specially since i have my gt's at stock in an attempt to lighten the load..

so at this point i have a feeling my psu just can't handle my overclocks in addition to everything else in my rig. so i'm wondering what would be a good replacement for my OCZ Modstream 450w?

I really like the Sunbeam Nuuo 550w, as it's got dual rails, and everything nicely sleeved and whatnot. After reading the reviews for it, I think it would be a good replacement (I really like the modular PSU format, makes hiding wires much easier). So I want to get the PSU gurus' advice as to whether it would be a good choice. Also, does anyone know of any retailers with them in stock? Cuz I've looked at about 4 different places, all sold out for the past couple of weeks.

If it doesn't come back in stock, what would be another good choice? A NeoPower? That Thermaltake TWV500 that davidhammock200 added to the recommended list? Just trying to get an idea of what to do. Also, price is sort of an issue. I'd like to not spend more than about 100 bucks on it, as cash is tight right now, which is another reason why I like the Nuuo. Thanks everyone

thanks david...are there any modular's you would recommend (something that could handle future upgrades like a 7800 line vid card, etc), or am i out of luck as far as that is concerned?

been looking at those new Antec NeoHE550...looks nice, how would that do to replace my modstream? because i can get it at a good price over on buy.com (even tho their on order there right now) with a coupon that expires on the 11th...

the neoHE's look very good. is your coupon one-time use? if not, would it bother you to PM me it so i can use it too? :D

ok cool, then i may go with this and hope it ships out soon...hmmm i think it's linked to my account, at least the email says it has to be used with it. sorry m8

- edit

We are pleased you have chosen to visit Buy.com in the past. We would
to offer you this special offer on your next purchase starting today
and
ending October 11th, 2005. You must use your **** account to redeem
this offer.

Back