Do I need an Amp?

Victimizer

n00b
Hi!
I have just ordered these headphones for competitive Counterstrike GO. I ordered these as they are meant to be high end and they have excellent reviews.
My question though is can I just get them and plug them in and they will be good or do I need a good sound card or amp or both? I want the best possible quality so I dont mind paying more for anything else i need.

My brother has this sound card that doesn't fit his motherboard so I can buy that if it will work well with the headphones.
Sorry I don't really know much about sound cards and amps :p

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
WIll the card fit your motherboard? You need a PCI slot, which aren't on some newer motherboards that have PCI-E slots now.

The sound card will definitely give a better experience than the on-board audio chip. I'm not sure about the amp...I'd give the headphones a try with and without the amp and see if the amp makes much difference.

the headphones are the 32 ohm variant of the DT770's so you should be fine without an amp.

For the sake of your wallet: If things sounds good to you, no. If not?....Watch out! ;)

No, you don't need an amp. You never need an amp unless you have really high ohm headphones, or you want stuff louder. Usually it's a psychological trick as louder = more good. If the volume isn't stuck at over 90 all the time, you don't need an amp.

Soundcards will improve the audio, slightly. But, it's not going to be a huge difference, unless the onboard sucks terribly. Soundcards are more for features and i/o options.

\ You never need an amp unless you have really high ohm headphones,

I thought it was for lower ohms. :confused:

Example: I had a pair of AKG 701s with 32 ohms or something ridiculous like that and they needed an amp in a bad way.

On the other hand, I have some $80 Sony MDRs with 60-70 ohms that didn't.

Maybe I'm just mixing myself up somewhere.

Bottom line: If you like the way things sound, no amp needed. :)

I thought it was for lower ohms. :confused:

Example: I had a pair of AKG 701s with 32 ohms or something ridiculous like that and they needed an amp in a bad way.

On the other hand, I have some $80 Sony MDRs with 60-70 ohms that didn't.

Maybe I'm just mixing myself up somewhere.

Bottom line: If you like the way things sound, no amp needed. :)

there are other factors that come into play like sensitivity, but i'm not very knowledgeable on the details of how it all works together.

Last edited:
You never need an amp unless you have really high ohm headphones, or you want stuff louder.

Oh dear. Alternatively; if you want great sound!

Of course you don't want to amp a bad source really well. This is fundamental. But a good amp will do more for your audio experience than just amplify if you know what I mean Deathprincess. Such as soundstage and imaging for instance. Or the total effect amplification ALWAYS have on the overall sound character of your source. Add to that differences in resolution, timbre, sibilance, bass depth, quickness, fluidity etc.

And no it does not only matter for playing loud sound. The better your amp grabs the drivers "by the balls" even at low listening levels, the more control and precision in the performance they deliver (which is what good drivers is designed for).

So OP, to be clear. Every amp has it's own set of sound characteristics. Granted equipment in an audio chain has to be in the about the same league to really shine and make sense.There is so much synergy with sound equipment, it's not even funny unless you can afford it. I have different headphones for various styles of music for instance, and I wish I had more headphone amps :D ...I have two from the same company and boy do they sound different, even on the same sound card.

But it does take appreciation for audio or will to listen. People who don't care about sound should stick with cheap gear. Cheap gear is better than ever.

in what regard? i hear the K701's and Q701's are great.

I've never heard those, but the few AKGs I have tended not seem so great (can't remember the numbers). Though, to be fair, thats from a non entertainment perspective, which is a slight different set of objectives/goals.

Though, it's all opinion/subjective, though they didn't work for me, to others they may be a great fit and seem better. :D

I've never heard those, but the few AKGs I have tended not seem so great (can't remember the numbers). Though, to be fair, thats from a non entertainment perspective, which is a slight different set of objectives/goals.

Though, it's all opinion/subjective, though they didn't work for me, to others they may be a great fit and seem better. :D

Hang on DeathPrincess.

These cans need proper amplification to shine.

Obviously LCD2, HD800, HE-600, AH-D 7000, SR-009 etc. are either in the same league or much better. There are always a few good choices when it comes to high end sound.

The AKG K701 and Quincy Jones version is great for entertainment. You just need a good source and proper amping. For instance these cans are very susceptible to sibilance even with a very decent amp.

It is unfair to deem an entire brand of headphone "not seem great" because YOU have only heard a few. A lot of brands have poorer products in the cheaper segments, it's why they are cheap.. But that does not mean that the top end is not glorious. With AKG K701 you get a lot of headphone for $300, you just won't realize it with no amp or even a semi decent amp.

I don't think you do if those are as Porter_ says. If you decide you want one/need one, I'd take a look at an O2/ODAC.

Last edited:
Hang on DeathPrincess.

These cans need proper amplification to shine.

Obviously LCD2, HD800, HE-600, AH-D 7000, SR-009 etc. are either in the same league or much better. There are always a few good choices when it comes to high end sound.

The AKG K701 and Quincy Jones version is great for entertainment. You just need a good source and proper amping. For instance these cans are very susceptible to sibilance even with a very decent amp.

It is unfair to deem an entire brand of headphone "not seem great" because YOU have only heard a few. A lot of brands have poorer products in the cheaper segments, it's why they are cheap.. But that does not mean that the top end is not glorious. With AKG K701 you get a lot of headphone for $300, you just won't realize it with no amp or even a semi decent amp.

Last pair I head was with a rackmount headphone amp. Have no idea on the brand or make of it, but the rest of the stuff in there is 4-6 figures, so I'm guessing it wasn't cheap. The headphones probably weren't the cheap ones either. I have no idea what model it was, so it would be an assumption, just they didn't sound great.

The other times I've heard AKGs have been lacking too, but like i said, it's an opinion. This is all opinion, if they work for you, then great! Headphones, and all audio equipment should not be bought on cost, or reviews from some guy, but only by your personal opinion. There are always people selling bridges, and sillies promoting the flow of the structural integrity.

Amps are not needed. You may like the way some units color the sound (which is a problem in some situations), but it is not a basic requirement for good audio. Play a track, turn up the volume slightly and play it again. The song sounds "better". Thats why people buy amps. :p

Last pair I head was with a rackmount headphone amp. Have no idea on the brand or make of it, but the rest of the stuff in there is 4-6 figures, so I'm guessing it wasn't cheap. The headphones probably weren't the cheap ones either. I have no idea what model it was, so it would be an assumption, just they didn't sound great.

The other times I've heard AKGs have been lacking too, but like i said, it's an opinion. This is all opinion, if they work for you, then great! Headphones, and all audio equipment should not be bought on cost, or reviews from some guy, but only by your personal opinion. There are always people selling bridges, and sillies promoting the flow of the structural integrity.

Amps are not needed. You may like the way some units color the sound (which is a problem in some situations), but it is not a basic requirement for good audio. Play a track, turn up the volume slightly and play it again. The song sounds "better". Thats why people buy amps. :p

I think you're right about the psychological aspect of it. Also, I loved the K501s. They needed an amp, though.

Back