Do I need an expensive surge protector for my LCD TV?

MrMetal_53

[H]ard|Gawd
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I just bought the Westinghouse 37w3 from Costco, and of course I want to make sure that I take the best care of it that I can. I've got normal surge protectors sitting around the house, but I wanted to see if I need the most 1337 one that they make to protect my investment. Since I'm sure that if I went to CC or BB they would tell me that I need the most expensive one, I figured I would ask here first :D Sorry if this is a dumb question

Cheap surge suppressors are only good against surges and fluctuations that arise within the power system. If you want to protect against surges caused by lightning, you're going to need a more expensive solution, such as a gas-discharge arrestor. I guess it really depends on how protective you are of your stuff, whether you think it's worth the price. Personally I just use a normal suppressor.

I can't suggest a particular model but I've been told that unless you have a high quality (not neccessarily extremely high priced) surge protector then it's best to just plug it straight to the wall. (unless of course you live a house with old/screwy wiring)

So is the opinion here that I should get something with a high energy absorption? Like I said, I really am at a loss here of what to do. I guess I don't really need to protect against lightning surges. I suppose the surge protector would serve two-fold: 1) to protect my new investment and 2) to add more outlets. That should clear up a thing or two

If you don't care about lightning, I'd suggest buying the best looking suppressor you can get for ~$15. I checked out Walmart the other day, and you can get something with decent energy absorption and convenient features (such as rotating outlets, spaced outlets for wallworts, ethernet/modem protection) at that price. I would never spend $80 on one of those premium Monster suppressors.

Back