Do I NEED to overclock my i5?

I just put together a new system that consists of:
i5 750
Asus P7P55D mobo
2x2 gig Corsair 1600 XMS RAM
GTX 275
Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU

I was using prior to this a 2.0 ghz MacBook and an Athlon 2500XP with a X800Pro. I am currently playing Crysis Warhead on Gamer at 1080P with a min FPS of 25 (fraps eyeballing it) and Mass Effect at 1080P. Will I see much improvement if I overclock?

If I DO over clock, as a noob, is my best bet to set my RAM at 1600 instead of 1333 or should I let Asus do its own overclocking?? Is Prime 95 still the best way to go or should I use OCCT?

You will see a performance boost if you OC but you won't know how much until you do it. In my experience the boost you get usually doesn't add up to anything significant to justify the additional system stress.

I have an I5 750 at 3.4GHz @ 1.0v and it peforms much smoother in some CPU intensive games. If you are just browsing the web or word processing I would say no to the OCing.

overclocking is fun and overclocking wars are even more fun.

sure you will get a few more FPS (gamer?), or a few more points in SYSmark (if you run synthetic tests)...

but truly I do it just to push the limit and to clock higher then the next guy :D

Ok, I'm not sure if I am ready to take that step to OC world. If I were to, should I start with running my ram at 1600 or letting my Asus mobo work that vodoo that it do so well?

What part of your current system performance are you unhappy with? I guess what the other posters are saying is that it isn't about performance it's about "mine is bigger than yours"?

If you're looking for someone to tell you that you don't have to, you're probably in the wrong forum. You don't NEED to but there's not much of a reason NOT to except if you simply don't have time to learn how to do it properly and to set up a stable OC (and it isn't that difficult)

If you have time to read these forums, you probably have time to read an OC guide and do it yourself

I am interested in overclocking but right now I am more interested in learning all about the PC i built as well as ensuring that I am 100% stable.

Prior to my i5 build, I had disaterous time attempting to build an Athlon II X2 system with a gigabyte mobo and a 5750. It kept on crashing no matter what I did. I replaced the RAM and the Video Card but it ended up being the mobo. I got so frustrated I went Intel/Nvidia instead.

Once my system proves to be stable then I will move onto OC. I am also tryhing to catch up on 4 years of PC gaming as well. Not sure what I will work on first!

Overclocking an i5 is similar in fashion to the athlon II that you had bad luck with.

You have asked several times about the memory speed. The memory speed is tied direclty with the bclk or FSB as people still call it. Your memory runs off a multiplier and depending on the bclk the memory speed will go up or down. If you overclock the chip by raising the bclk, the memory speed will go up as well. Once you have overclocked too far, the memory might go passed it's recommended speed. You would then either overclock the memory, or lower the memory multiplier so that it's still within spec.

Back