Do I not want a TN panel?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
I have been reading these display forums for a while now and I keep seeing people talk about TN panels and how they aren't good and how you just need to settle with one if you are going to get a monitor. Apparently there is other technology out there but no one uses it.

I am in the market for a 22" LCD, in all the threads I read about a monitor this size people keep saying stuff like "xx is a good monitor but it's a TN so you will have to deal with that" or "its a great monitor but keep in mind it's a TN"

What is this all about? If no one likes TN panels then why is every monitor (besides the larger more ones) a TN panel? Are there even other options unless I get up to a monitor too big for my desk?

I want to get away from the CRT I am using but with all this negativity about TN panels (which seems to go back to threads 2+ years old) I am worried that if I get one it will be terrible.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

read that, it'll help explain the different types a little bit.. There are probably a bunch of other sites that do the same.

TN or not, depends on what you're going to be doing with it. For most gaming and surfing you'll probably be just fine with that, but if you intend on doing any photo editing that needs really accurate color reproduction, then the others may be a better investment.

The most recent thing that's caught my eye was Lenovo's 22" shown here http://techgage.com/article/lenovo_l220x_22_widescreen_lcd_monitor/

There's a lack of connectors, though. Hopefully that'll change soon.

TN is cheaper than the other panels so companies choose to use that most of the time. The TN panels also have better response times so ghosting is not as big of an issue. The downside is that the viewing angles are bad. Colors are usually not on par with the other panels, espeically the IPS, either.

So, if you want the cheapest 22" then you'll probably be getting a TN.

Well it will mostly be used as a gaming monitor with it's second use being movie and show watching. Nothing like hooking up a DVD player or a 360 to it but just with downloaded files.

So it's either TN with fast response and bad angles or non-TN with slow response but good viewing angles?

Almost everyone out there has a TN, right? So it's not like people are avoiding them..

I have owned every type (VA, TN, IPS). IPS is the best, but I actually prefer TN over VA, because it is cheaper, faster, and has better horizontal viewing angles than VA. TNs can look quite nice. If you walk into a big electronic store with 40 monitors, chances are all 40 might be TN. These days you need to look into specialty monitors to get non TN. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you are very picky, in which case all LCDs will cause some grief.

BTW I consider myself very picky, but right now I am using a TN.

Well it will mostly be used as a gaming monitor with it's second use being movie and show watching. Nothing like hooking up a DVD player or a 360 to it but just with downloaded files.

So it's either TN with fast response and bad angles or non-TN with slow response but good viewing angles?

Almost everyone out there has a TN, right? So it's not like people are avoiding them..

Well, TN panels are the majority so it is hard to avoid them. Plus, people like cheap prices.

I game and watch the occasional movie/TV show on my monitor and I have to say that my current 24" MVA panel is so much better than my 22" Westinghouse TN panel. However, it is not like TN panels are the plague or anything as they aren't too bad. Perhaps visit a store and check the on display monitors to see if you like what you see. I doubt if they are properly calibrated though, so all the monitors are probably going to look bad in terms of color. But, at least you'll be able to check out the viewing angles.

Despite its flaws, TN panels seem to be getting better with time. Read the giant thread about the BenQ G2400W. A posted named 10e posted some pictures of its viewing angles and they were quite impressive for a TN. Another commented on using his G2400W to watch movies from across the room and under line of sight, and he noticed no problems with the viewing angle.

I thought the price/performance ratio of the Samsung 226BW was quite impressive at the time. TN can offer good value...

Alot of people love TN's - I thought I would be one of them, I'm generally not picky. My g2400w had to be sent back though - I guess I'm one of the few that are very sensitive to the color shift from the viewing angles. In smaller monitors it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue though. That said, I LOVE my IPS panel.

Alot of people love TN's - I thought I would be one of them, I'm generally not picky. My g2400w had to be sent back though - I guess I'm one of the few that are very sensitive to the color shift from the viewing angles. In smaller monitors it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue though. That said, I LOVE my IPS panel.

Sorry for going offtopic here, but which monitor did you get instead of the G2400W?
I too returned my G2400W because of the viewing angles, and I'm now looking for another monitor.

My westinghouse 37w1 MVA puts my Hannspree 22" TN to shame. Big difference in price though, I paid almost 10 times as much for the former.

I have owned every type (VA, TN, IPS). IPS is the best, but I actually prefer TN over VA, because it is cheaper, faster, and has better horizontal viewing angles than VA. TNs can look quite nice. If you walk into a big electronic store with 40 monitors, chances are all 40 might be TN. These days you need to look into specialty monitors to get non TN. I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you are very picky, in which case all LCDs will cause some grief.

BTW I consider myself very picky, but right now I am using a TN.

TNs do not by default have better hz viewing angles than VA. LG2495/6 is the perfect example. It depends on what type of VA panel you are talking about, P-VA or M-VA.

M-VA panels are the best middle ground. TN are the fastest, IPS are the best for everything except speed and color shift (fixed by H-IPS).

You basically have to gauge what is most important for you. I didn't mind the color reproduction on TN panels, because it didn't bother me too much, until I got back into photo work. The real killer for me with TN is the vertical viewing angles, being tall makes this aspect VERY frustrating for me. When I would move the slightest things would turn to shit. This is why I like the M-VA, its changes on angle are VERY VERY slight, none of this darkening BS like on TNs when you shift down.

If you are going to be doing quite a bit of gaming/video watching, I'd say go with M-VA if you can afford one. You will be disappointed with a TN.

TNs do not by default have better hz viewing angles than VA. LG2495/6 is the perfect example. It depends on what type of VA panel you are talking about, P-VA or M-VA.

That would be a matter of opinion. I have owned PVA/TN/IPS and the MVAs I have seen were more shifty than PVAs. I put them in the same ballpark.

If you are serious about imaging work you get an IPS, with or without the extra Polarizer they still are the best for gamma shift.

In the end monitor buying is very subjective, only the specific user can tell what will work the best for them. You just have to try and find a monitor that works for you.

I was trying to hold out for a non TN panel... I wanted a 26" screen, so my only non-TN all around option was the Doublsight or Planar. Given availablity, this left me with one choice, the Planar from Newegg. Given the return policy, ie you can't return it if you don't like it, you stuck with a $900 risk.

So off to best buy to try out a TN 26" Samsung.

Here are my thoughts....

If your serious about color you'll have a serious calibration tool. If you aren't serious enough to buy a calibration tool... well then exact color really can't be that important, right?

The TN panels hit what, 93 to 100% of the color range? Mine hit around 93% on the first try for calibration with a gamma curve that was very good.

The ONLY issue I really see is viewing angle.

Here's how I would sum it up:
You can buy a 26" Samsung for what $550 bucks or so
This TN screen will have very good color and gamma after calibration
This TN screen is fast offering some of the lowest lag possible.
This TN screen is great if your the only one using it.

The only reason I current see to not buy a TN screen is viewing angle. If your getting paid to do video editing and really require that level of color perfection...
- Build a 2nd PC
- Buy a CRT
... for everyone else a calibrated TN straight on would seem to meet the need.

-Peter.

I think it is just best to try. Some people are happy with TNs (especially for their price), some can't stand them.

Back