Do I really need a 1kw psu?

MatDef

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I just about finished building my system for the next year or two. It will have

e6600 (oc'ed to hell)
Probably the asus P5W DH
150gb raptor
500gb backup
2gb g.skill ddr2 800
x-fi plat
and an ati x1950xtx

In the future, I'll either be getting dual r600's (when they come out) or dual 8800gtx's (sometime jan/feb when the price drops). I've seen the power reqs for the 8800 series, and for two of them the amperage required is extremely high, and I'm guessing the r600's will need the same (or maybe more). Am I really far off base, and if I am, which psu do I really need?

Thanks for the help.

compare the specs from the hardware you will purchase to the specs of the PSU you currently have. As those new products are still under development I suggest you wait until the official stats and reviews come in and make a more informed decision.

The Nvidia November release GPU's will only need a max of 225W,
the ATI GPU's may require 300W+ each, we just don't know.

davidhammock200 said:
The Nvidia November release GPU's will only need a max of 225W,
the ATI GPU's may require 300W+ each, we just don't know.
But can we guess? I only want to buy a psu this one time, and not have to upgrade because I was wrong. Really, I only have two options:

1.Buy a 1kw psu, and be done with it.

2. Buy a smaller psu, and another 300w drive psu for the graphic cards in feb.

If I do number 2, which psu should I get?

Why not wait a few weeks and save yourself the guess work? What do you have now?

MatDef said:
But can we guess? I only want to buy a psu this one time, and not have to upgrade because I was wrong. Really, I only have two options:

1.Buy a 1kw psu, and be done with it.

2. Buy a smaller psu, and another 300w drive psu for the graphic cards in feb.

If I do number 2, which psu should I get?
Going with option 2, get a Corsair 620W, we KNOW it will easily power 1 of these new GPU's &
it will hopefully power both, but if not the Fortron X3 Booster will. ;)

Spectre said:
Why not wait a few weeks and save yourself the guess work? What do you have now?
My main rig is down and out (became the family pc, ugh), and since I'm going to the nvidia Lan party on the 7+8 of nov this machine has to be done by then.

MatDef said:
My main rig is down and out (became the family pc, ugh), and since I'm going to the nvidia Lan party on the 7+8 of nov this machine has to be done by then.

Right...ok then sounds like you need a new PSU :D

davidhammock200 said:
Going with option 2, get a Corsair 620W, we KNOW it will easily power 1 of these new GPU's &
it will hopefully power both, but if not the Fortron X3 Booster will. ;)
Well, unless anyone has any better ideas, I guess I'll be going with this. :)

Spectre said:
Right...ok then sounds like you need a new PSU :D
Yeah, I wish I didn't but what can you do? ;)

Didn't mention what case you were hoping to build said system in. Why not just grab a case that is dual psu compatible, not to hard to rig to psu to work in tandem. :D
the system i;m running right now is similar to the system your currently working on, kicks ass, the drivers for the x1950 xtx are a little buggy however, just a heads up. You should be very happy!! :p

infin@ said:
Didn't mention what case you were hoping to build said system in. Why not just grab a case that is dual psu compatible, not to hard to rig to psu to work in tandem. :D
the system i;m running right now is similar to the system your currently working on, kicks ass, the drivers for the x1950 xtx are a little buggy however, just a heads up. You should be very happy!! :p
I already got my new case, a shiny lian li PC-7BII from performance pc's. So I'm limited to one psu.

Edit: I'll also be moving this machine around a lot, so I need a fairly small, easy to transport one.

good luck, my r580+ was a monster with the stock heatsink. I think my current rig weighs aroung 45+ lbs. :eek: Those 1 kw psu are long to, not sure on the exact specs, should fit your case though, double check before you buy.

I remember seeing a pic of Pc P+C 1kw, it was huge. Nice to now that there is a smaller option.

I think you should be fine. Right now I've got my setup running on a generic 480 Watt PSU. No problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163027

Geforce 7950,
Athlon X2 4800
2GB OCZ Platinum RAM
2x Raptor 150.

I think people make way too big a deal out of PSUs, they really don't make a difference for bottom line performance. The only difference I've noticed with bargain bin generic PSUs is that the cooling fan is a bit louder or sometimes breaks. If it's too loud just put a weaker one in or undervolt it. If it breaks pop the PSU open and put a new one in as soon as you notice it's overheating. Try not to let it get to the point that you can smell burning though because that might mean you need to get a new PSU. But at this price point it doesn't matter, generic ones are so cheap.

Oh, if you're really worried just get a second generic PSU and hook that up to your video cards. Two generic 550 watt PSUs is a lot cheaper then one "high-end" 1K watt PSU, plus you get an extra 100 watts more.

http://www.acortech.com/Generic_Achieve_Viomax_550W_Power/partinfo-id-3202620.html

EDIT: Heh, I guess the sarcasm wasn't obvious enough. Sorry if anyone actually thought I was serious and fried their components with a $10 PSU! But seriously, waiting until you can small burning when your PSU is overheating, that doesn't even make sense. ;)

And, if anyone is ballsey enough to actually try the above, you're either very stupid or addicted to risk.

Hvatum said:
I think you should be fine. Right now I've got my setup running on a generic 480 Watt PSU. No problems.

Geforce 7950,
Athlon X2 4800
2GB OCZ Platinum RAM
2x Raptor 150.

I think people make way too big a deal out of PSUs, they really don't make a difference for bottom line performance. The only difference I've noticed with bargain bin generic PSUs is that the cooling fan is a bit louder or sometimes breaks. If it's too loud just put a weaker one in or undervolt it. If it breaks pop the PSU open and put a new one in as soon as you notice it's overheating. Try not to let it get to the point that you can smell burning though because that might mean you need to get a new PSU. But at this price point it doesn't matter, generic ones are so cheap.

Oh, if you're really worried just get a second generic PSU and hook that up to your video cards. Two generic 550 watt PSUs is a lot cheaper then one "high-end" 1K watt PSU, plus you get an extra 100 watts more.

http://www.acortech.com/Generic_Achieve_Viomax_550W_Power/partinfo-id-3202620.html
No one would really do whst you are claiming to do.

Running that system on a $12 PowMax is probably impossible, however we will never know,
as no one who invest that kind of money would be fool enough to try!

Why you posted this BS here is beyond me,
you must be trying to get people to very foolish things with with their systems.

If I were a mod on this forum, you would already be banned! :mad:

EDIT:

I love these reviews! http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817163027

Banning people because they're misinformed now? Give me a break.

ANYWAY. You've got a brand-spanking new GeForce 7950, an X2 4800+, and two Raptor drives. The video card will eat up two molex connectors (since that PSU doesn't have any PCI-E connectors), one SATA and one more molex for the two hard drives, and assuming you have an optical drive, that means you have NO molex connectors left over for anything else.

You're right about the fact that the PSU doesn't make a real difference in overall performance, but what happens when you have a machine that works, and one that doesn't? 0fps is a whole lot less than anything else out there.

Spending big on your hardware and then cheaping out on the PSU, and then trying to justify it? Maybe you need to learn the hard way. You do know that your PSU doesn't put out anywhere near 480W, do you? That thing can barely do 350W realistically. Putting two of them together still doesn't do you any good, you've still got shitty power.

Holy shit, i just had a brain fart from some of this thread.

DO NOT buyh the powmax. It's the biggest piece of shit ever. Do you trust your $2000 rig to a fucking $11 PSU?

Not to mention that assuming that the 2 HORRIDLY SHITTY 550w psu's can actually do 550w each, assuming it will even do the 25a it's rated to do, that's only 50a if they're both working at full capacity and can do so for extended periods of time. Assuming that it'll do that, then you will have enough juice for ONE 8800gtx.

More realisticly, those power supplies will do 18a. REALISTIC. That's FAR, FAR, FAR less than any system nowaday needs.

WHEN your power supply blows up and destroys your rig, I WILL laugh in your face about buying such a shitty power supply. :mad::mad::mad:

[size=+1] DO NOT BUY THE POWMAX.[/size]

Removed quoted deleted post -Spectre

Actually you could get connector adapters. But if I was seriously that much of a crazy cheapskate I would probably just solder the leads directly onto the video card to save a few bucks.

Also I would just lay all the components out on the floor instead of using a case. For cooling I would set up one of those big plastic fans that they always have for $5 after rebate at Wallgreens. Then to connect cpu cooling fans etc. I would just run unshielded live wires around the room and wrap each fan's leads on in series.

Bbq said:
[size=+1] DO NOT BUY THE POWMAX.[/size]

but the POWMAX gives like MAX POWER. it can't be beet. :)

Just look at the back of the box, it explainz all the featurez it haz.

heer is a pic of my computerz. i just got a case for it actually, it's very nice

sometimes i spill my red bull on it.

Hvatum said:

Geforce 7950,
Athlon X2 4800
2GB OCZ Platinum RAM
2x Raptor 150.

EDIT: Heh, I guess the sarcasm wasn't obvious enough. Sorry if anyone actually thought I was serious and fried their components with a $10 PSU! But seriously, waiting until you can small burning when your PSU is overheating, that doesn't even make sense. ;)

And, if anyone is ballsey enough to actually try the above, you're either very stupid or addicted to risk.

Lame.

This is what my generic 500W PSU looks like:

x1pmakndzhuofdmiikc4yn6sivzgfb.jpg

This is what an Enermax Noisetaker 600W looks like:

noisetakerii600winsideyl8.jpg

You can atell that the Enermax is better built. (Edit: Except for the swollen cap :D)

different subject, but i don't think the p5w dh supports SLI, only crossfire, in case that means anything to you. it only workes with some hacked drivers i think.

denaps said:
different subject, but i don't think the p5w dh supports SLI, only crossfire, in case that means anything to you. it only workes with some hacked drivers i think.

It doesn't, but unless I'm kinda tired of sli, and I'll eventually be going crossfire anyway. I'm completely fine using hacked drivers if I go sli again.

wee96 said:

Sorry if I pissed anyone off, my sense of humor gets a little wierd after staying up 24 hours studying for an Organic Chemistry test AND anatomy test.

Somehow I doubt that even that really demanding setup would require a thousand watts. If it does, I fear for the future of our energy reserves. They had better get Fusion power working to run all the 1000 watt gaming machines in the future. :eek:

Ok, I looked at the corsair model, and I noticed the pc&c 750w silencer is only about 20 bucks more. Should I stick with the corsair, or spend a little more on the silencer?

MatDef said:
Ok, I looked at the corsair model, and I noticed the pc&c 750w silencer is only about 20 bucks more. Should I stick with the corsair, or spend a little more on the silencer?
Using Google & Froogle the Corsair 620W can be found from $150,
if the difference was only $20 then the PC p&C 750W is the obvious choice. ;)

Back