do i really need an hdtv to get the whole 360 expierence?

I have an xbox 360 but i am thinking if i should get an hdtv. Is it worth it to get like a 2000 or 1500 $ hdtv to make it look better? I am very happy with my tv, its i think 27' big and its a crt (not like the monitor but a crt tv). So i have the money but should i go with it. I can either get an hdtv, a ps3, and some xbox 360 games. or i can get a kickass pc, a ps3, and some 360 games. I am leaning towards the kickass pc, the ps3, and some 360 ganes. What are your thoughts?

If you're planning on getting a PS3 then you might want to lean towards the HDTV. It'd be a shame to spend that much money and not get every bit out of it.

What you need to ask yourself is:

Will you use the HD TV to its potential? Will you use it more than a high-end PC? Or will you use the high-end PC more than the HD TV?

Wow...tough question. I think there's a definite difference, but whether it's worth the money varies a little. I don't think I'd get one *only* for the 360, but keep in mind that the PS3 and HD movies will use one, too. It's even really nice just being able to watch current DVD's in 16X9 without black bars, too. Let's not forget HD programming on TV. Even if you don't have HD cable/sat, you get free HD network TV.
For JUST the 360, I'd hold off...but factoring in the other things, it's a good purchase.
I've mentioned this on other threads when looking for a deal - hunt for either open box items or "last year's" model to get upwards of 40% off a TV. That can help keep costs down.
You should be able to snag a 25-30" HDTV for about $1100 brand new. Factor in any kind of discount, closeout, or open box and you might be able to get one for $600-700. You don't have to necessarily buy the best one they have to get a really good TV.

Well if you are getting hdtv programing with the tv then i suggest going with it, but if it will only be for ps3/360 then maybe wait a while for it.

I'd say get the HDTV. High definition is the future, and you might as well start enjoying it. Besides, what good will a PS3 do for you if you won't have a HDTV to play it with? At least if you get an HDTV now, you'll be able to enjoy high definition gaming goodness for your X360 right now.

Definately go with an HDTV, it makes the experience on the 360 much more involving.

As for pricing, if you are happy with the size, there is a good Samsung 27" HDTV for $550 at circuit city now, or a Phillips 30" widescreen for $700. If you want bigger, there is also a 51" Hitachi that is a great set for $999.

HDTV prices have come way down, and it is more than worth it when you consider how much better DVDs look on a good HD set, and how much HD content there is on cable (FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, Discovery, ESPN, HBO, Showtime, plus some specialty channels that show random stuff). Almost all of the shows I watch regularly are broadcast in HD (Big Love, Entourage, Deadwood, CSI, CSI: NY, CSI: Miami, NCIS, The Unit, NFL Football, etc).

Thank you very much but since the ps3 can be played it 1080p would it still be useful if i bought an hdtv that doesn't have 1080p? Even if it only has 1080i 720p etc. would it still be useful to buy an hdtv for the ps3 ?

boomheadshot45 said:
Thank you very much but since the ps3 can be played it 1080p would it still be useful if i bought an hdtv that doesn't have 1080p? Even if it only has 1080i 720p etc. would it still be useful to buy an hdtv for the ps3 ?

The PS3 CANNOT do 1080P. Another one of Sonys hype lies. :rolleyes:

Coldtronius said:
The PS3 CANNOT do 1080P. Another one of Sonys hype lies. :rolleyes:

The PS3 is perfectly capable of delivering 1080p. The power is there, games have already been show in 1080p, and you can definitely expect 1080p on blu-ray/HD-DVD medium. If you're in the market for a large, expensive set, 1080p is a definite plus.

That said, resolution isn't the only factor that determines how well a TV looks. I'd rather have a good 720p display than a so-so 1080p one.

PikachuMan said:
The PS3 is perfectly capable of delivering 1080p. The power is there, games have already been show in 1080p, and you can definitely expect 1080p on blu-ray/HD-DVD medium. If you're in the market for a large, expensive set, 1080p is a definite plus.

That said, resolution isn't the only factor that determines how well a TV looks. I'd rather have a good 720p display than a so-so 1080p one.

Well, it's pretty evident that the PS3 will have nowhere near the power required to deliver 1080p, but whatever. It won't even matter anyway since I know of very little TVs that do 1080p (and they all cost A LOT), and the picture quality isn't a crapload better than 1080i. It's not like the difference between SD and HD.

I would say go for an HDTV if you can afford it. I've played Xbox 360 in both SD and HD and I will say this - don't think you're "missing out" without an HDTV. The graphics are still beautiful (well, for most games, anyway). However, the graphics are still loads better with an HDTV. I would think it would be a waste getting a new TV just for an Xbox 360, so I would buy it only if I was going to watch shows that are in HD too, but that's just my personal preference.

PWMK2 said:
Well, it's pretty evident that the PS3 will have nowhere near the power required to deliver 1080p, but whatever. It won't even matter anyway since I know of very little TVs that do 1080p (and they all cost A LOT), and the picture quality isn't a crapload better than 1080i. It's not like the difference between SD and HD.

1080p is only 1920x1080 resolution, the PS3s GPU is more than capable of that. We might not see too many 1080p releases at first, and perhaps some cross platform and low-budget games might not go for it, but it is certainly possible.

NulloModo said:
1080p is only 1920x1080 resolution, the PS3s GPU is more than capable of that. We might not see too many 1080p releases at first, and perhaps some cross platform and low-budget games might not go for it, but it is certainly possible.
Please don't fall for the marketing. Higher res. = needs more powerful hardware = lower graphics to run smooth. 720p = lower res. = can add more detailed graphics.

Neither the xbox360 or PS3 really have the power to push 720p resolution to the max, let alone 1080p. 1080p for console gaming is useless at this point in time or anytime in the near future.

ClearM4 said:
Please don't fall for the marketing. Higher res. = needs more powerful hardware = lower graphics to run smooth. 720p = lower res. = can add more detailed graphics.

Neither the xbox360 or PS3 really have the power to push 720p resolution to the max, let alone 1080p. 1080p for console gaming is useless at this point in time or anytime in the near future.

Please don't post information that hasn't been proved to be true yet just because you are biased against Sony.

We can't tell what it will be able to do until there is final hardware and systems in reviewer's hands. The GPU (the RSX is supposed to sit somewhere between a 7800GTX and a 7900GTX) and CPU in the PS3 are more than capable of high quality textures, lighting, and plenty of polygons at 1920x1080. For now Sony is saying the system can do it, so until they say or are proved otherwise, there is no reason to doubt that claim.

NulloModo said:
Please don't post information that hasn't been proved to be true yet just because you are biased against Sony.

We can't tell what it will be able to do until there is final hardware and systems in reviewer's hands. The GPU (the RSX is supposed to sit somewhere between a 7800GTX and a 7900GTX) and CPU in the PS3 are more than capable of high quality textures, lighting, and plenty of polygons at 1920x1080. For now Sony is saying the system can do it, so until they say or are proved otherwise, there is no reason to doubt that claim.
Marketing... Again Higher Res = lower level of graphics.

First of all, at least on paper the PS3 *can* do 1080p. It might not do it well, but it's technically capable.
Now you've just got to find a TV that can do it that won't break the bank.
Because the jury's still out on 1080p and if it'll ever be seriously supported...I wouldn't bother quite yet.

NulloModo said:
Ever tried gaming at 1920x1080 with a 7800GTX 512mb? It sure doesn't work all that well for Oblivion, and I somewhat doubt that you'll see it work that well for any really nice next-gen games.

We don't know for sure, but educated guesses ain't a bad start.

-Erwos

Basing comparisons off PC hardware doesn't work; these consoles have specialized design and aren't bound to the same bottlenecks as PC hardware. You can't look at the GPU in isolation, since there's faster access to memory and such available on the PS3, that allow it to better handle a higher resolution.

The thing is, we have already seen 1080p demos running real-time on E3, and there is still time for further optimization before release. Then, you're also guaranteed to get 1080p on Blu-ray/HD-DVD releases. This isn't a bad investment if you're in the market.

The PS3 is capable of doing 1080p, no doubt about it. But wether we will be seeing those 1080p games with good graphics or framerates is another mystery.

Currently, there 2 PS3 games officially confirmed to run in 1080p. They were shown at E3, and were running at a constant 30fps.

DO keep in mind one of these games was Gran Turismo HD. Gran Turismo HD is simply GT4 with up-rezzed graphics. ;) Ya catch my drift? While the PS3 is wholly capable of 1080p, I doubt many games will use it.

PikachuMan said:
The thing is, we have already seen 1080p demos running real-time on E3, and there is still time for further optimization before release.
I was under the impression the only PS3 game running in 1080p was Gran Turismo HD - and we found out later that was running on a PC anyways. Were there any others?

I _do_ think that a 1080p HDTV is not a bad investment - it might be worth considering a Dell 2407FPW, since it has HDCP (right?) and a nice, high resolution (1920x1200).

-Erwos

as far as buying an hdtv, I personally might wait until some 1080p sets come down in price a bit.

It amuses me when people still insist the RSX is basically a 7900/7800 GT. It has uses a 128 bit memory interface - giving it HALF the available bandwidth of its bigger brothers. HALF. The PS3 is *technically* capable of doing 1080p, but they will have to neuter the game to get it to run well. And upscaling != 1080p.

Karafias said:
It amuses me when people still insist the RSX is basically a 7900/7800 GT. It has uses a 128 bit memory interface - giving it HALF the available bandwidth of its bigger brothers. HALF. The PS3 is *technically* capable of doing 1080p, but they will have to neuter the game to get it to run well. And upscaling != 1080p.

There has been talk that the Xbox360 has to upscale from a lower res to get 1080i, but the 360 is not the PS3, until we see final PS3 hardware in action, there is no way we can say what it can't do. I am still fully confident it will be able to produce 1080p games with the full detail of a 720p or 1080i game.

I would definitely purchase a HDtv. I am currently in your position. Out of the 5 panels i have 3 are high def and only the 2 in the guest roooms are not. But i will be upgrading those as well. But definitely get high def. My xbox looks hell of alot better on my high def screens than my regular screens and i had both plugged in (the orginal xbox and the xbox 360).

NulloModo said:
There has been talk that the Xbox360 has to upscale from a lower res to get 1080i, but the 360 is not the PS3, until we see final PS3 hardware in action, there is no way we can say what it can't do. I am still fully confident it will be able to produce 1080p games with the full detail of a 720p or 1080i game.
So you have no idea what the final hardware can do, but you are "fully confident it will be able to produce 1080p games with the full detail of a 720p or 1080i game"

Who needs logic when you have blind faith? It is so convenient.. "I know there is a rabid bear in that cage, but I'm going to stick my hand in anyway. I'm fully confident it won't rip my hand off."

I don't suppose you are religious?

A decent bit is known about the hardware and its capability now, and it isn't even remotely close to what the hype says. The cell? A cut-down CPU that handles game code poorly. The SPE's also aren't all that great for game code, either, and they're a bitch to program for. An AMD64 CPU is easier and better for games. The GPU? Operating on a 128 bit memory interface; something modern high-end graphics cards haven't done in years. It effectively cuts the memory bandwidth in half.

More than a few Devs have also said 1080p isn't really a realistic goal for the PS3. To pull a few quotes from arstechnica:

"Sony wanted 1080p, but we're working at 720p and 1080i, same as on the Xbox 360. Even with [final hardware] in mind, reaching good frame rates at 1080p with next-gen graphics is almost impossible. Instead many developers, ourselves included, are reworking so they run at 720p. PS3's output takes care of upscaling it - so no native 1080p, but it still looks killer."

"Unlike Xbox and PS2, where Xbox had a host of built-in effects that were a generation ahead of PS2, the Xbox 360 and PS3 are same-generation machines. One doesn't have additional effects over the other - 360 can do the same effects, just not as many of them simultaneously and with less geometry [because of the speed difference], but memory bottlenecks can kill part of the PS3 speed advantage anyway... the overall visual difference it makes will depend a lot on the developer's skill, and how much time and money the publisher spends on a game."

Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060212-6162.html . A few minutes on google and you can find more quotes. Bottom line: alot of knowledgeable people have criticized the PS3's ability to realistically do 1080p without cutting corners. As much as Sony would like you to believe it, the RSX isn't a 7800, and the PS3 isn't anywhere close to a PC in terms of power.

But come on guys only PS3 will have real HD

...Runs and ducks for cover...

You really don't need a special tv to enjoy any video games, but if you are buying a new one, you might as well go HD.

So wait, will the PS3 do 1080i or no?

I know nothing about HDTV's or how they work... And I still don't understand why they don't just advertise them like computer monitors in width x height resolution.

you see this is what I hate about this whole hd revolution thing. They should have just come up with ONE standard res for HDTV, like 720p or 1080p. That way, when joe consumer goes to buy his new HDTV he's not going to get screwed over by marketing.

I miss the good old days of TV shopping where there was only one question: How big?

(and before anyone quotes me: Yes I know there were other questions like stereo/mono etc.)

There has been talk that the Xbox360 has to upscale from a lower res to get 1080i, but the 360 is not the PS3, until we see final PS3 hardware in action, there is no way we can say what it can't do.

Actually, alot of people report pretty big framerate drops if they try to run the Xbox360 at 1080i. Further, the 480i/p modes tend to yield better performance over the 720p mode, so this might not just be upscaling as we thought.

I'm more optimisitic about the PS3 though. They're aiming high, and already have games running at full 1080p in real-time. Check out IGN's preview of WarDevil, or some of its screenshots for an idea of the visuals. There's alot of potential here, but let's see how it turns out ;)

Karafias said:
So you have no idea what the final hardware can do, but you are "fully confident it will be able to produce 1080p games with the full detail of a 720p or 1080i game"

Who needs logic when you have blind faith? It is so convenient.. "I know there is a rabid bear in that cage, but I'm going to stick my hand in anyway. I'm fully confident it won't rip my hand off."
For that matter, you don't know what the final hardware will do either, the manufacturer has said however that it will support it, so until that is proven otherwise, that is the assumption one should take
I don't suppose you are religious?
what does that have to do with the price of beans in China?
A decent bit is known about the hardware and its capability now, and it isn't even remotely close to what the hype says. The cell? A cut-down CPU that handles game code poorly. The SPE's also aren't all that great for game code, either, and they're a bitch to program for. An AMD64 CPU is easier and better for games. The GPU? Operating on a 128 bit memory interface; something modern high-end graphics cards haven't done in years. It effectively cuts the memory bandwidth in half.
Say the naysayers, there is also plenty of information touting the Cell as a very powerful CPU, just a little finicky to program for to take it to it's full advantage. The PPE and SPEs are not bad for games, in fact, they exceed at media processing and vector (physics) code, what a lot of game code is made up of. Programmers are just going to have to learn to multithread their code efficiently. And was stated before, the 128 bit memory bus doesn't matter, the memory set up on the PS3 is so different from a traditional PC/GPU that that will be all it needs to get the job done.

More than a few Devs have also said 1080p isn't really a realistic goal for the PS3. To pull a few quotes from arstechnica:

"Sony wanted 1080p, but we're working at 720p and 1080i, same as on the Xbox 360. Even with [final hardware] in mind, reaching good frame rates at 1080p with next-gen graphics is almost impossible. Instead many developers, ourselves included, are reworking so they run at 720p. PS3's output takes care of upscaling it - so no native 1080p, but it still looks killer."

The system isn't even out yet, there aren't any launch titles that have been completed, of course developers don't know how to take full advantage of the system. As I stated before, I doubt we will see many 1080p games at launch, but once people learn how to really take every nook and cranny of performance out of the thing, it should become easy.
Bottom line: alot of knowledgeable people have criticized the PS3's ability to realistically do 1080p without cutting corners. As much as Sony would like you to believe it, the RSX isn't a 7800, and the PS3 isn't anywhere close to a PC in terms of power.
A lot of knowledgeable people already in bed with MS.

The RSX isn't a 7800, the PS3 isn't a computer, in terms of graphics and game capability though, it can do just as well.

Nullo your still missing my point.
Say you have an x1900xtx and crysis.

Would you run the game at 1024x768 with high detail or at 1600x1200 with low detail?

It doesn't matter how much power the ps3/xbox360 have. You can always add more graphics. So, developers are always better off using 720p to get more graphics on the screen without killing performance.

ClearM4 said:
Nullo your still missing my point.
Say you have an x1900xtx and crysis.

Would you run the game at 1024x768 with high detail or at 1600x1200 with low detail?

It doesn't matter how much power the ps3/xbox360 have. You can always add more graphics. So, developers are always better off using 720p to get more graphics on the screen without killing performance.

And I think you are missing mine: who says the PS3 won't be able to run at 1080p with high detail?

With the 360 situation I seem to remember the hangup was with AA. Personally, in that situation (X360) I'd rather see 1080i, high detail, and no AA, then an uprezzed image with AA.

NulloModo said:
And I think you are missing mine: who says the PS3 won't be able to run at 1080p with high detail?
I am not saying the PS3 cant run 1080p! Games can just have more detailed graphics at 720p = better choice for game developers. You can ALWAYS add more graphical detail. Get it yet?

ClearM4 said:
I am not saying the PS3 cant run 1080p! Games can just have more detailed graphics at 720p = better choice for game developers. You can ALWAYS add more graphical detail. Get it yet?

And there is a point where you get diminishing returns for more detailed textures and more polygons, and a higher resolution just makes sense.

NulloModo said:
And there is a point where you get diminishing returns for more detailed textures and more polygons, and a higher resolution just makes sense.
And are we anywhere near that point with todays technolgy when it comes to 720p? No.

Lets also not forget that 1080p isn't a standard that many TV makers have adopted, too. Sony themselves doesn't even make a 1080p TV. A few manufacturers don't even plan to.
You're not going to see a ton of devs putting energy into a format that the vast majority of people don't have. They might eventually, but likely not for several years.

Back