Do I upgrade?

heslo

2[H]4U
Right, since I'm having issues deciding what to do I thought I'd ask someone else other than my wife on what is best.

Currently running a 4790k @ 4.4, 1080GTX, 16GB RAM and have done so for the last few years. Honestly, It's been a great system and served me well but the upgrade itch has started. I'm looking at getting a 8700K and probably 16GB RAM again given the prices and that it's enough for me currently. The 1080 will stay so I'm just looking at a new mobo, CPU and RAM.

Question is, do I bother? I was originally going to wait until 9th gen but now it's been delayed till god knows when and I'm left in a holding pattern. Any advice to help a brother out?

What do you do with it?

If it's doing everything you want, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade.

Just for the sake of scratching the itch, get a hobby car or audio gear or something to sink your cash and time into.

Unless you are doing something where more cores helps significantly, you won’t see any meaningful upgrade value.

If you're just throwing money around I'd wait for the GTX 1180 instead. That'll give you better gaming perforance than just upgrading your CPU, unless you actually NEED more cores. :cool:

What do you do with it?

If it's doing everything you want, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade.

Gaming mostly, then mining when I'm not using it. Every now and then a little bit of video editing too

Just for the sake of scratching the itch, get a hobby car or audio gear or something to sink your cash and time into.

Unless you are doing something where more cores helps significantly, you won’t see any meaningful upgrade value.

My car hobby already takes enough of my money haha, PC gear is the cheaper of the two options

Thanks guys, you've re-affirmed what was in the back of my head and already knew. I'll just keep waiting and see how the landscape looks in another 6 months

The only reason to upgrade is if you want M.2 and USB3.1.
I am still rocking a 4790k 16gb ram with 1080ti and have no issues with anything, machine is still a beast.
I personally want to upgrade so I can go M.2, and 6+ cores but have no money.

The only reason to upgrade is if you want M.2 and USB3.1.
I am still rocking a 4790k 16gb ram with 1080ti and have no issues with anything, machine is still a beast.
I personally want to upgrade so I can go M.2, and 6+ cores but have no money.

I've got a M.2 slot on my motherboard and I'm using it (960 Pro) It's the more cores I'm interested in to be honest... not because I really need it but because I want it. I know at the end of the day I'm not going to see massive gains, I guess I just needed somebody else to tell me that too

I've got a M.2 slot on my motherboard and I'm using it (960 Pro) It's the more cores I'm interested in to be honest... not because I really need it but because I want it. I know at the end of the day I'm not going to see massive gains, I guess I just needed somebody else to tell me that too

You have zero reason to upgrade. Don't spend money now, save it and buy stuff when you do need to upgrade. Put it in an account and earn interest, pay off a credit card debt, do something other than spend it.

You have zero reason to upgrade. Don't spend money now, save it and buy stuff when you do need to upgrade. Put it in an account and earn interest, pay off a credit card debt, do something other than spend it.

My hero! Thanks guys :)

Yeah I'd hold tight too, now is a shitty market if you don't want cpu/mobo, even then ram sucks.
Also next year zen2 should close the single digit 240p gaming benchmark gap and offer you more options and further competition.

My hero! Thanks guys :)

For the record - I went from an i7-5775C to an r7 1700 last year, and there was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade.. bragging rights? yep, but realistically I noticed very little difference in performance in the stuff I do.

For the record - I went from an i7-5775C to an r7 1700 last year, and there was absolutely no reason for me to upgrade.. bragging rights? yep, but realistically I noticed very little difference in performance in the stuff I do.

That's essentially all it would be for myself as well. That and it gives me something else to fiddle with for a while between benching and overclocking

In fact I am actually worse off overall due to the fact that I had 32 gig of ram and now have 16, albeit with 4 more cores.

Got a Predator X34 already. I'll just sit on it, no use spending money needlessly
Lovely monitor... !!

The only other thing I can think of is a case if you're using an older style. Something like the Meshify C would be great - if only to aid in making the setup quieter with all that air flow.
How bad is your upgrade-its?

Lovely monitor... !!

The only other thing I can think of is a case if you're using an older style. Something like the Meshify C would be great - if only to aid in making the setup quieter with all that air flow.
How bad is your upgrade-its?

Yeah it's a great bit of kit! I recently upgraded my case to an Enthoo Evolv, re-ran my watercooling setup while I was at it so yeah there's very little to do apart from mess with the innards and then we're back to the same problem as above. Been toying with getting a VR headset possibly but there's stuff around the house I've been looking at doing too so I might throw a bit of coin that way (but that's always boring haha)

Back