Do LED monitors generally have more backlight bleed than LCD?

Volume

2[H]4U
I've been shopping around and it seems that all the LED monitors I've tried (sub-$250) have awful backlight bleeding at the edges.

Is this because LED is not as refined in the lower-end models to save cost, or is LED generally more prone to this? Or do I have it all backwards?

I just picked up a Viewsonic VX2450wm and the edges on it suck. (Actually no Viewsonics I've tried lately have been problem-free for me).

I'm looking to take this one back to get a ASUS VE276Q and noticed it is non-LED, and people have been reporting good things in terms of image quality.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to newer displays, so any help is appreciated.

most led panels only have a small number of blue LEDs in a corner and then diffuse it and it look whitish because of a yellow phosphor.
florescent LCD have 1-3 horizontal bulbs that diffuse on the screen.
RGB LEDs have 3 LEDs packed together and generally arranged in a matrix to give the most even light..

so WLED < regular LCD < RGB LED.

i wouldnt buy a WLED screen unless it was on a mobile device.

Go with the Asus VE258Q, rarely do they have any backlight bleed. The one I currently have is 100% pitch black. I think it depends on the manafacturer to a degree, viewsonics have awesome bright colors, though often are plagued with backlight bleed. Rarely do the HPs have back light bleed - owned three and all were great.

I just picked up a VE278Q from Fry's. No edge bleed or backlight bleed BUT there is a green stuck pixel in the upper center of the screen. It's driving me insane :( Just my luck with these screens.

Running one of those "flashing" programs over that pixel right now to see if it will get it un-stuck, otherwise, it's another 30min trip to Fry's (wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't completely out of the way). Siiiigh.

Edge leds, yes. Backlight bleed and clouding is a plague with that tech though you may get lucky and get a piece where those issues are minimal. Full led backlight, not anymore as it is with normal CCFLs. With help of local dimming if TV/Monitor is equipped with that its even less of an issue.

I think what you mean to say OP is: Do LED back-lit LCD's have more back-light bleed than CCFL back-lit LCD's.

Thanks for the clarification. By the way, I was able to "massage" the stuck pixel into working again. Took a while, but finally did it.

Edge leds, yes. Backlight bleed and clouding is a plague with that tech though you may get lucky and get a piece where those issues are minimal. Full led backlight, not anymore as it is with normal CCFLs. With help of local dimming if TV/Monitor is equipped with that its even less of an issue.

are there any local dimming units or rgb led units on the market.

as far as i can tell the ass manufacturers all opted to go to edge lit and mirror tricks rather than have one real quality monitor with local dimming or rgb leds

all i want is a good monitor with good blacks/response time and no backlight bleed, in the 27 inch range.

plasmas are the only real alternative for tvs and monitors well, i can't seem to find a decent option there worth forking the cash over to replace my 2405fpw that's aging

le sigh

In monitor market, unfortunately none. On TV there are several, like LG's "nano-led" TVs. But then we are talking about 40" bigger sizes.

Back