Do oem cpu's come with plastic film on them?

Ciggarilo Himself

Limp Gawd
ok so im having trouble getting my monitor to play nicely with my new machine I built today(specs in sig) my monitor just doesnt work with my rig it jus stays in power saving mode an anyway im running out of options iv done more or less everyhing I can think of and I was wondering maybe the cpu is overheating because I didnt take the plastic of the cpu(if there was any)before I take the heatsink off the cpu I want to know do oem cpu's come with plastic film on them?(i dont want to wast my time taking off the hsf if they ont even have the lastic on them(the hsf didnt come with any platic fim on it, thermal paste was already applied so if I take i off for nothing I have no thermal paste to replace it with.

Thanks;)

Is the heat sink getting hot?

If the heat sink is not heating up but the CPU is then you need to re-seat it at the minimum.
If the heat sink is heating up and the CPU is then you need to improve airflow over the heatsink.

I'm not sure if AMD processors come with a plastic coating, but I've never seen anyhting like that before.

I've owned at least 3 OEM cpu's and none of them ever had any kind of plastic film on the IHS.

The plastic film usually comes on the heatsink (not the CPU) to protect the TIM. Since OEMs do not come with a heatsink, there is no plastic film

Out of curiosity, did you call AMD Tech Support this past week? I swear I had a guy call with the same exact question... :eek:

Back