Do Steam and Direct2Drive work outside the US? Is there a territory list?

fantanode

Weaksauce
OK and maybe EA link. ;)

I'll be out of the US for a few years, and will be living.... in the middle east. =\

Do I have to buy retail copies? Please say no. :(

I can't find anything about this in google. And 'steam' btw is a terrible now, no amount of searching results in the steam game service.

Steam works everywhere - or at least, it does with both my British and American credit cards.

Direct2Drive - no idea

Umm - and the steam game service was the first result for me when I googled it...

If you buy steam software in some other country and try to come back to America, it will deactivate when you come back. I remember reading this somewhere.

it depends what country^

like if you buy a russian copy and activate it then come back to the US it won't work. im not sure what countrys exactly but there are some problems. something to do with prices in russia and stuff.

That and certain 3rd party games available on Steam in the US are not always available in other countries on Steam due to differences in the laws/ratings systems of the individual countries, as well as distribution agreements in effect between devs/pubs and the games foreign distributors.

Interesting, thanks for the replies. I'll first try to log in my US account and purchase games from my US credit card. Billing address can just continue being what it is now, it's not like anybody is going to check or steam/direct2dirve mail sensitive info. They don't mail anything actually, the address is just the billing one and I think I'll just leave that way, whatever gets there with my name on it will be forwarded to me regardless of who'll occupying this apartment.

Umm - and the steam game service was the first result for me when I googled it...

Well yeah when you just google steam, but try other combinations to get detailed info and it'd be much messier... :eek:

OK and maybe EA link. ;)

I'll be out of the US for a few years, and will be living.... in the middle east. =\

Do I have to buy retail copies? Please say no. :(

I can't find anything about this in google. And 'steam' btw is a terrible now, no amount of searching results in the steam game service.

In canada they are both avaible. I mean triple.

I didn't try EA but I heard it work. I tried d2d and steam, work well. I'm in Montreal.

It should...works in New Zealand as some couple from there plays on a tf2 server I frequent.

Direct2drive - No. I just found this out recently when trying to buy unreal tournament 3. They tell me It's not availible in my country and that I have to buy the german version, which is incredibly lame because it has no gore/ragdoll physics.

Living in Germany here.

I can confirm that Steam works. As someone stated Steam only cares about the billing address on the credit card. I am at an APO address and I had to work with my CC company to accept the addressing since Steam doesn't accept APOs. Depends if you will have an APO/FPO.

D2D is another issue. It checks your IP and will not let you purchase North America games. You could consider a IP proxy.

If you buy steam software in some other country and try to come back to America, it will deactivate when you come back. I remember reading this somewhere.

I bought HL2 and EP1 in England on my English credit card, I now live in the states and have used an American card too purchase the orange box and various other games - I've had no issues with any of them.

Of course - it could be different in other countries.

Direct2drive - No. I just found this out recently when trying to buy unreal tournament 3. They tell me It's not availible in my country and that I have to buy the german version, which is incredibly lame because it has no gore/ragdoll physics.

No doubt, women took over in germany :eek:

Back