Do you use an anti-static wrist band?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 60 83.3%

• Total voters

paintb4707

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this was posted before. The search function is a little strange (not finding results for "do you use an" because the words are too common :rolleyes: ) Anyways, Im edging towards my first build, and I was just curious who actually uses them nowadays? I personally think touching the metal surface of the chassis, and working anywhere other than on a rug, should be good enough.

I tend to use one when I work on notebook computers. On desktops I just ground myself again a power supply or something.

never have... and have never fried a component because of static *knocks on wood*

Nope.

Tried one once when I was first getting into computer service...My wrists are way too big for them...too uncomfortable. Never used one since.

Never have never will , however my $%#^@& car zaps me everytime i get out of it . stupid cloth seats i guess.

TECHKnight said:
Nope.

Tried one once when I was first getting into computer service...My wrists are way too big for them...too uncomfortable. Never used one since.

Yea I have the same issue. I had a bigger one but can't find it.

If you are near any body of water it probably isn't that important. However, If you live in North Dakota I would definately use one during the winter.

Humidity is one of the most important factors in static generation, so just be cautious when you start using your house heater...

static bands are a joke. Wear sneakers & touch the side of ur case (as long as its not plastic or wood, lol) as u work.

Working on my home computer... no
At work yes, since I work with some PCBs that are very prone to ESD

I tend not to when doing little things (swapping out cards/troubleshooting) but on bigger builds i do... i have a really nice adjustable 3M one that should fit about anyones wrist....

I don't and I often lay on carpet when working on my computer. It's either on the carpet or on the wooden part of my desk.

I'm not sure why I haven't had problems yet, but oh well.

Have one, don't use it.

I do use a ground static mat when working on other peoples computers tho.

I have several and I don't use it. I really should, and so should everyone else. I have zapped hardware once or twice before being carelss. However, when I work on the machine in my sig, I damn sure wear one. Mainly because I am too paranoid not to considering its cost.

Aaron_ATX said:
Have one, don't use it.

I do use a ground static mat when working on other peoples computers tho.

Same here.

I don't, and I work on carpet a majority of the time. I live on the edge.

Nope

I'm ham fisted and worry more about breaking components than I do about zapping them. I'm a tech by trade and [H]ard by choice :D

Yes, always. I've yet to fry any hardware through ESD and I never will. No knocking on wood necessary. :)

Back