Does 4 ports mean 4 monitor support?

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
I'm looking at a new video card like this one and I'm just not sure if it can do what I'd like. I see 2 DVI, 1 HDMI (electrically the same as DVI) and 1 display port. I've read feedback mentioning that someone left saying it ran 3 monitors for them but can I actually drive 4 since there are 4 ports? I really wish this was a standard line in the detailed specifications but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Does anyone have experience with this sort of card?

The HDMI is shared with one of the DVI ports, so it's actually three monitors. (Unless you buy a card that's specifically advertised to support more, like Sapphire's Flex line of cards.) Technically, though, a single DisplayPort can power multiple monitors by daisychaining them, but I don't know if compatible monitors (they would need two DisplayPorts: one for in, one for out) even exist yet.

Well, you can run 2 off the bat.

For 3, you'll need a 30$ adapter to convert Displayport to DVI or HDMI.

I'm not sure about 4 since you only have 1 DP.

ghostery blocks your link, but if it is an AMD card no, as the above poster pointed out, shared RAMDAC

I'm pretty sure most 6000 series cards shared a component between the HDMI port and one of the DVI ports, which only let you use one port or the other. The Sapphire flex product line was an exception to this rule. I think the 7000 series cards are similar.

In both 6000 and 7000 series cards the displayport outs are usually independent from the HDMI and DVI ports, though even they have some issues. For instance I think in the Asus 4 DP + 2 DVI cards, if you used all 4 DP ports, then the DL DVI port either became inoperative or would only work as SL DVI. There may have been a jumper to select which mode you wanted.

On the Nvidia GTX 680 and 670, all four ports (2 dual-link DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Displayport) can be used, though only three ports can be used for Nvidia Surround gaming with the fourth being used as an accessory display.

Wow! Well, I can't spend $400 on a video card right now but this is very good information everyone. Thx!!

Back