Does a good 1600 res LCD even exist?

Azhreal

Limp Gawd
There is so much talk in here about LCD's and I want one, but let me give you a list of what I have and what I do. I need 1600x1200 desk space and I play games all the time. The games I play most are MMORPG's and RTS's, so having a tiny bit of blur in high speed action games would be tolerable.. though not much. What I'm looking for is the text quality I get with the UXGA screen I have on my Dell 600m, but also very high quality gaming that I get on my current Mitsubishi 930sb 19" CRT. Are there any LCD's out there under $800 that can give all of this? I've seen too many bad stories to want the Dell 2001fp; I've seen good things said about the Viewsonic 201b which is what I'm considering getting. Are there any other options out there that would give 1600 res native with the same image quality I get from my current CRT, but with better text sharpness at that resolution? My 930sb is clearly not as sharp with text as my 1400x1050 laptop screen, so I'm looking for something that will give me perfect colors for web page editing and also for 3d modeling.

Azhreal said:
There is so much talk in here about LCD's and I want one, but let me give you a list of what I have and what I do. I need 1600x1200 desk space and I play games all the time. The games I play most are MMORPG's and RTS's, so having a tiny bit of blur in high speed action games would be tolerable.. though not much. What I'm looking for is the text quality I get with the UXGA screen I have on my Dell 600m, but also very high quality gaming that I get on my current Mitsubishi 930sb 19" CRT. Are there any LCD's out there under $800 that can give all of this? I've seen too many bad stories to want the Dell 2001fp; I've seen good things said about the Viewsonic 201b which is what I'm considering getting. Are there any other options out there that would give 1600 res native with the same image quality I get from my current CRT, but with better text sharpness at that resolution? My 930sb is clearly not as sharp with text as my 1400x1050 laptop screen, so I'm looking for something that will give me perfect colors for web page editing and also for 3d modeling.

You didn't look to hard, even a newegg search brings more then a page.
What 2100fp horror stories have you heard? I use a 2100FP and its the best investment I've ever made for my gaming PC.

Well I've heard it's a decent gaming LCD, but for 25ms I wouldn't expect a whole lot. I've heard tons of people having to return more then one to finally get a good one... just a luck of the draw. I'd rather pay $100 more for the vp201 if it's the same specs and better quality with a 3 yr warranty. I know there are tons of 1600 res LCD's "out there", but I've yet to come across any that are gameworthy besides maybe 2001fp and fp201b... and even then I'm very skeptical. Too many bad screenshots of blur and such.

I just ordered a 2005FPW (20" 1680x1050, 12-16ms) from Dell. I'll let ya know how I like it versus my Planar PX171M (17" 1280x1024, 16ms). I went for the 2005FPW over the 2001FP because of Halo2. The FPW is 16:10 ratio, which is what Halo displays in HD mode. (I play Halo2 using kb and mouse on my LCD)

Well.. I don't think I really want a widescreen for gaming. I game 80% of the time im on my box so im hoping someone will reassure me that the fp201b is an awesome LCD or something :p

Dew said:
I just ordered a 2005FPW (20" 1680x1050, 12-16ms) from Dell. I'll let ya know how I like it versus my Planar PX171M (17" 1280x1024, 16ms). I went for the 2005FPW over the 2001FP because of Halo2. The FPW is 16:10 ratio, which is what Halo displays in HD mode. (I play Halo2 using kb and mouse on my LCD)
how, thats exactly what im getting and if i can play my xbox w/ it SCORE!

2001fp is 16ms, not 25.

Also, widescreen gaming kicks ass. Look for screen shots of HL2 and Far Cry at wide screen res. Friggin cool.

What about stuff like World of Warcraft on a widescreen? Are there any good images of normal gaming on a widescreen?.. like games that don't support it.

Allegedly you can use Powerstrip to resize the screen. I dont know for certain.

Azhreal said:
Well I've heard it's a decent gaming LCD, but for 25ms I wouldn't expect a whole lot. I've heard tons of people having to return more then one to finally get a good one... just a luck of the draw. I'd rather pay $100 more for the vp201 if it's the same specs and better quality with a 3 yr warranty. I know there are tons of 1600 res LCD's "out there", but I've yet to come across any that are gameworthy besides maybe 2001fp and fp201b... and even then I'm very skeptical. Too many bad screenshots of blur and such.

Like someone else said the 2100FP is 16ms response. You really should try to do your own research.

Azhreal said:

vp201b is overpriced. also you need to do your monitor hw before coming in here with (false) assumptions. i used to think it was too much of a risk to get a dell as well, however for $640 how much better can you get? once they cut the prices im definetly going to get either a 2001fp or 2005fpw. if only i could afford a 23" haha

How about the 2005FPW. You could go up to a 23" monitor. I enjoy 1920x1200.

WoW supports widescreen right out of the box. Its looks freaking amazing @ 1680x1050 on my 2005fpw.

WoW supports widescreen right out of the box. Its looks freaking amazing @ 1680x1050 on my 2005fpw.

He ain't lyin, I saw it in action on my friend's alienware laptop that has a widescreen lcd. Looks AMAZING. I got a 2005fpw on the way:) HL2 + WoW in widescreen... drooooooll :D

Roarak said:

I am very highly considering this monitor.. can you post any screenshots of WoW in widescreen? Half-life 2 looks freaking crazy in widescreen. I've been following these boards for a couple weeks viewing all possible LCD threads I can, so don't tell me to do my hw before posting. I trust people in here more then freakin review sites and other things like that. Don't get so offensive just because you own said hardware. Posting negative comments makes people defend the statement most of the time so that is why I point out the bad things.. don't take it personally.

You're not getting any blur what so ever in WoW? I'm sure it may blur in stuff like need for speed, but I'm mainly an RPG and RTS buff so.. how well would warcraft 3 do on a widescreen? Dishing out $600+ is not something I do lightly and posting my concerns and opinions is completely valid even if I think I know the answer.

I will see if i can get some screenies for you.

No ghosting whatsoever in WoW. I dont even notice ghosting in HL2, but i am probably not as critical as the pro fps player types.

So is it my understanding that the 2001fp is really the only solution out there that has a good contrast and response time combination for 1600 res gaming? Lots of reports coming in now about bad blacks on the vp201b... so confusing even with all the info out there. You want to trust people, but when it comes down to crunch time there are too many opinions out there :) I probably won't go widescreen... it's just too over the top, so when are the new dell 20" coming out to replace the 2001fp?

I recently purchased a 2005fpw and should be getting it early next week.

Widescreen is priceless for so many reasons. My previous laptop, a dell 9100, was widescreen at 1200x800. My current laptop, a dell 8600, is widescreen at 1600x1280.

Out of the box, it's going to hurt your eyes. however, it only takes a TINY bit of tweaking to get it looking perfect.

I beat farcry on my 9100 and really think the widescreen adds a lot to gaming. think out how your vision works. You dont see things in a circle (or rectangular) viewing area, it's more left to right.

There have been reports of less 'screen-door effect' with the 2005fpw too.

the 2k5fpw supports PIP. This means you can hook your TV up and watch TV via a small window while you're surfing the net or even gaming.

Plus, the 2k5fpw is rotatable. So, if you're writing a long paper; you can easily twist the monitor to give you an insane amount of viewable word processing area.

Plus, I think the 2k5fpw is simply sexier then the 2k1fp. I know the girls are going to be ALL OVER ME after I get my 2k5fpw.

I have also read about the "luck of the draw" with the 2001fp.

Just so you know. I ordered 20 for work.(2 months ago) All arrived perfect.

I ordered another 11 , 3 weeks ago. Also arrived in perfect condition

All used for MCAD and PWB based drawings. No complaints so far. (and they are picky).

Previously they all used Mitsubishi 2060u

Just food for thought. Must be lucky, i guess =).

Darthkim said:
I have also read about the "luck of the draw" with the 2001fp.

Just so you know. I ordered 20 for work.(2 months ago) All arrived perfect.

I ordered another 11 , 3 weeks ago. Also arrived in perfect condition

All used for MCAD and PWB based drawings. No complaints so far. (and they are picky).

Previously they all used Mitsubishi 2060u

Just food for thought. Must be lucky, i guess =).

I own a Dell 2100FP.
My gf attends a design school that uses Dell 2100FPs; about 200 of them. They look the same, they all look perfect. :D

<spelling and model number nazi>

yeah! I usually use a 2100FP on my Compaqt labtop! While driving my Camero!

</spelling and model number nazi>

MisterDNA said:
<spelling and model number nazi>

yeah! I usually use a 2100FP on my Compaqt labtop! While driving my Camero!

</spelling and model number nazi>

waffles

so true

I'll also chip in that I just got my new 2001FP in the mail about a week ago, and not a single flaw or dead pixel to be found. Half-Life2 and Doom3 both look amazing, and in Doom 3 I've found that although the blacks are a bit lighter than my old CRT, the glare is gone! My biggest problems with FPS' before was glare, even with a brighter game like Battlefield:Vietnam, I always had to turn the lights out to be able to see worth shit. But now they all look great, even with the lights on, although I still turn'em off out of habit. I didn't really notice any ghosting, the only occasional chugging I have is because I'm running the game on too high of settings (But for SP it's fine).... CS:Source, on the same settings actually, runs silky smooth 60 fps and no ghosting.

I've also found the other inputs to be very useful....my main rig is on the DVI, my linux slave is on the VGA, and my PS2 is on the s-video.

There's a screen door effect problem with this monitor? I keep seeing people say that the 2005fpw has "less of one." Is the viewsonic vp201b the exact same monitor basically?

Azhreal said:
There's a screen door effect problem with this monitor? I keep seeing people say that the 2005fpw has "less of one." Is the viewsonic vp201b the exact same monitor basically?

The screen effect was a problem with EARLY EARLY models with the standard (not DVI) connection. Fixed about a month after release with a firmware update.

Is there any point getting a 2001fp right now? When is the new version coming out?

Azhreal said:

There is “so much talk in here about LCD’s” because they are very much in the main stream. What it sounds like, you’re asking us to justify why you should buy one. Then you mention “specs” which suggests you haven’t looked too deeply into what’s been written here in the past. There are many .25 ms monitors that are faster then .16 ms monitors. It’s very dependant on how the manufacture takes those specs, so it’s not even a good place to start looking.

Have you gone to any stores and played with any of the newer LCD’s?

Sorry if I’m misreading this, but in the past these posts almost always end up”

“LCD sucks and you guys can’t prove me wrong”…Just not worth the time and effort anymore. More and more posts are indicating what I’ve said forever now. CRT’s are getting hard to find.

How about YOU do some shopping first, then come back and tell us what you have found. Why would anyone even consider spending that much money with no previous shopping?

here is my 2c, I just got 2 Dell 2001fp's All I can say is good about them. no screen door, not dead or stuck pix, about the best thing for the money you can get... BTW a friend of mine got a 2005fpw, it's all he can say about it is the word "awesome"

Zardoz said:
here is my 2c, I just got 2 Dell 2001fp's All I can say is good about them. no screen door, not dead or stuck pix, about the best thing for the money you can get... BTW a friend of mine got a 2005fpw, it's all he can say about it is the word "awesome"

:)

I check my dell account a couple of times a day, waiting for my 2005fpw to ship.

BillR said:
Have you gone to any stores and played with any of the newer LCD’s?

Sorry if I’m misreading this, but in the past these posts almost always end up”

“LCD sucks and you guys can’t prove me wrong”…Just not worth the time and effort anymore. More and more posts are indicating what I’ve said forever now. CRT’s are getting hard to find.

How about YOU do some shopping first, then come back and tell us what you have found. Why would anyone even consider spending that much money with no previous shopping?
Lol I understand your response.. no problem, but actually I am on the verge of purchasing either the 2001 or 2005fpw. I've been to Best Buy and honestly all their LCD's looked like total ass, not even near as good as my laptop screen (600m laptop with 1400x1050 UXGA screen). They had an $800 that looked pretty bad, so that is why I come here. Surely LCD's don't look like they have them set up, and I trust you guys more then Best Buy setups. I'm a hardcore gamer and no retailer can ever spit out enough BS to ever convince me that an LCD is for me. This is the best place to get honest answers, so I'm just needing that last nudge of confidence to place the order :)

My 600m laptop screen has a .206 pixel pitch and the 2005fpw has a .255 or something close to that... how will this affect the picture? If the 2005 or 2001 picture is the same as my laptop screen then I probably wouldn't buy one.. it's pretty washed looking. My 930sb is almost too dark though.. I dunno. Also, I'm real skeptical about getting the widescreen since I'm a hardcore gamer, but most newer games are starting to support it. World of Warcraft supports widescreen so that's a good incentive. I really am wanting to buy an LCD, so feel free to answer honestly and I will value your opinions.

Zardoz said:
What did your friend upgrade from? I've got a Mitsubishi 930sb 19" which is probably one of the best CRTs out there, so going to a 2005fpw may or may not be an "upgrade" :p

ok did I miss something here is a 2100fp a new lcd cause isnt it 2001fp just checking

Azhreal said:
Lol I understand your response.. no problem, but actually I am on the verge of purchasing either the 2001 or 2005fpw. I've been to Best Buy and honestly all their LCD's looked like total ass, not even near as good as my laptop screen (600m laptop with 1400x1050 UXGA screen). They had an $800 that looked pretty bad, so that is why I come here. Surely LCD's don't look like they have them set up, and I trust you guys more then Best Buy setups. I'm a hardcore gamer and no retailer can ever spit out enough BS to ever convince me that an LCD is for me. This is the best place to get honest answers, so I'm just needing that last nudge of confidence to place the order :)

My 600m laptop screen has a .206 pixel pitch and the 2005fpw has a .255 or something close to that... how will this affect the picture? If the 2005 or 2001 picture is the same as my laptop screen then I probably wouldn't buy one.. it's pretty washed looking. My 930sb is almost too dark though.. I dunno. Also, I'm real skeptical about getting the widescreen since I'm a hardcore gamer, but most newer games are starting to support it. World of Warcraft supports widescreen so that's a good incentive. I really am wanting to buy an LCD, so feel free to answer honestly and I will value your opinions.

I understand fully, I really do. One thing a lot of people forget (espcially the stores) is who the customer is and why the damn store exists to begin with.

I have mentioned before, I have dragged my own computers (usually a shuttle) into BB and CC and Comp USA. Forget the floor manager as a rule unless he is truly geeky. In most cases I ask for the store manager and explain I’m in the market for a computer monitor and want to see what they look like when taken of the crap displays they use.

Only once have I been refused. Those of you who read my posts know I’m probably not the most diplomatic guy out there, but I can usually persuade my way in. Worst case I have been allowed to use the machines they have on display and swap monitors.

The fact is, conceptually most retail stores have no clue how to display these products except in mass. Add to that low paid employees and well, you have all shopped those places.

It’s time the retail stores realized that we the customers keep them in business and they need to adopt a more civil attitude toward us. Think how many fewer returns there would be for them..then they could actually make a profit. (Profit is not a bad word folk, it means the store just might be there next year if you need them)

I’m glad you appreciate our many and varied opinions but “hands on” is needed as well. ;)

Well I ordered the 2005fpw.. I guess I'll have one hands on soon enough :p It's really a shame that Best Buy displays such horrid images and does not properly callibrate their LCD's or even CRT's. I was looking at their LCD's, even the $800 ones and I noticed a horribly washed image and thought the screen just sucked. I came to find out the image was just horrible that they were using because it had the same bleed effect on a CRT... they were using some kind of 8 bit color image or something I couldn't believe it. Do they realize they're completely missing out on sales from people who aren't morons? Computer literate people do go to your stores too!

Well i ordered a VP201b about 2 weeks ago and its the best thing i have ever bought for my pc, i absolutely LOVE the 1600x1200 and the quality is amazing! it doesnt ghost whatsoever and the adjustablity of the actual monitor is awesome! i dont think i would have went with anything else, best $800 i ever spent.

Hope ur like ur 2005fpw, make sure to post and let us all know your thoughts.....

Well I went with the dell because of the wide range of responses about the vp201. Some people see it good some dont.. some see blacks bad some dont. I've yet to see anyone complain about anything on the 2005fpw so if it's not exactly what I want Dell allows a 21 day return and I'll just get a 2001fp.

Azhreal said:
What did your friend upgrade from? I've got a Mitsubishi 930sb 19" which is probably one of the best CRTs out there, so going to a 2005fpw may or may not be an "upgrade" :p

funny you ask, I bought his 2001fp so that I could run dual monitors.

desktop.jpg

Back