Does a Pentium M use the same socket as a Celeron M?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I've got a Dell 8500 laptop that I was given by a friend --- motherboard's on the fritz and it doesn't boot up most of the time.

I saw this deal today

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=11-33578371-2

It uses a Celeron M. The Dell 8500 uses a 2.2Ghz P4 M.

Would I be able to buy the $350 dollar gateway laptop and throw the 2.2 Ghz P4 M into the gateway setup and ditch the 1.6Ghz celeron?

Are the motherboard sockets the same for all Pentium and Celeron M's?

The real question is, why would you want to do this? The Celeron M 520 in that Gateway notebook is Conroe-L. The 533 MHz FSB and 1 MB cache means it's going perfom better than the old 2.2 GHz P4-M, by a lot.

If you look at some of the old Banias/Dothan benchmarks, you'll see that it puts the P4 to shame. This isn't NetBurst Celeron that we're looking at. :)

Both processors use the same socket, but it's questionable whether the BIOS and chipset on the Gateway will support such an old processor and 400 MHz FSB.

Both processors use the same socket, but it's questionable whether the BIOS and chipset on the Gateway will support such an old processor and 400 MHz FSB.

AFAIK, all netburst based pentium 4 Ms (note, pentium 4 M, not pentium M) uses a regular socket 478, while pentium and celeron M use socket 479, which is incompatible

so no, you will not be able to buy the $350 laptop and swap out CPUs, and as jackpack stated, a celeron M 1,6 would whoop a 2.2 GHz p4m

the only use for the p4m would be to get a desktop s478 board on the cheap and build a cheapy desktop machine for web browsing or something

Would I be able to buy the $350 dollar gateway laptop and throw the 2.2 Ghz P4 M into the gateway setup and ditch the 1.6Ghz celeron?

Hehehehe... that was funny. :D

Merom (500 series) > Yonah (400 series) > Dothan > Banias > Northwood

I'm out of the loop apparently....

I'm suprised you can get that much processing power for $350 dollars in a lappy config now - I just figured it would have to be a newer, still slower variant of the P4 M in there now, not a completely different chip...

Thanks for the heads up!

You might be able to pin mod the 533Mhz FSB Celeron M 520 (1.6GHz) in that laptop to 667Mhz FSB (2GHz) if it uses a 945/946 chipset. You only have to isolate pin BSEL1.

I have a cheapie HP Celeron M 520 laptop and performance is pretty good. I upgraded the memory to 2GB for about $55. I'm considering upgrading to a Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz and/or doing the pin mod above next.

AFAIK, all netburst based pentium 4 Ms (note, pentium 4 M, not pentium M) uses a regular socket 478, while pentium and celeron M use socket 479, which is incompatible

No, the socket is the same for all mobile processors - Socket M.

Socket M has 479 holes and all mobile processors whether P4-M or Pentium/Celeron M can be installed. All mobile processors have 478 pins - but the arrangement of these pins is what makes it possible to only install in a notebook, but not a desktop. The exception is P4-M, which can be installed in both.

Only recently, Socket P for 800 MHz FSB Merom was introduced.

All of this discussion may not matter, for two(3) reasons:
1: The cooling capability of that laptop wouldn't be nearly enough for that P4.

2: Many laptop procs are soldered in place and would be a bitch to remove.

(3) That system comes with crap: no DVD burner, Windows Vista Basic (OEM means no switching procs usually), only 512 mb of ram... better off just getting this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8404283&type=product&id=1180743305065

All of this discussion may not matter, for two(3) reasons:
I really haven't seen any laptop processors soldered unless it's a thin and light model, and even many of those have sockets. The OS is the least factor that determines whether or not the motherboard is socketed, and actually switching the CPU is pretty minor (it won't trigger reactivation) unlike switching the motherboard. :p

There's really only one (2) reason(s) this doesn't matter: the socket is incompatible and as mentioned above, the 1.6GHz Celeron M is a better processor than the P4-M 2.2GHz.
----

I guess this is the laptop the OP is talking about: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8398691&st=celeron+m&type=product&id=1179877238826 Gateway ML3109 $350 and no rebates

The chipset is ATI with a max FSB of 533MHz, so forget about the overclocking I mentioned above. I have a 945GZ chipset in mine and the motherboard supports up to 667MHz FSB Core 2 Duo processors.

Back