Does AMD realize the Sempron and 64 are so close?

sohcugy

Limp Gawd
I was looking on Newegg and the Sempron 3100+ is selling for $123 and the Athlon64 2800+ is selling for $129. What's the point of having a a sempron economy socket 754 processer if it's only 6bucks cheaper? I also notice that Compaq, HP etc don't sell Athon64 2800+ or Sempron 3100, so it seems to be mainly a DIY processer. Do you think there gonna lower the price on the socket 754 Sempron?

sohcugy said:
I was looking on Newegg and the Sempron 3100+ is selling for $123 and the Athlon64 2800+ is selling for $129. What's the point of having a a sempron economy socket 754 processer if it's only 6bucks cheaper? I also notice that Compaq, HP etc don't sell Athon64 2800+ or Sempron 3100, so it seems to be mainly a DIY processer. Do you think there gonna lower the price on the socket 754 Sempron?

yep and for 6.00 more you can get a proc that has more cache mem and a higher FSB rate.

Really this is nothing new. They did the same thing with the Durons and Intel is doing the same thing with the celerons. There just putting out more options out there to confuse people with.

Yea, so what if they dont sell the Athlon 64 2800+. It is an obsolete CPU that AMD no longer makes. Regarding the Sempron 3100+, I expect most OEMs to keep their Sempron lines in the Socket A forum.

The best in any line of CPU's will be pretty expensive and not give you much for what you pay for.

CentronMe said:
Yea, so what if they dont sell the Athlon 64 2800+. It is an obsolete CPU that AMD no longer makes. Regarding the Sempron 3100+, I expect most OEMs to keep their Sempron lines in the Socket A forum.

The A64 2800+ is obsolete? what future fantasy would are you living in buddy, the average computer has between a 1.0-1.5 ghz pentium.

And are you sure they dont make the 2800+, that was such a good budget gaming card, which often benched better/the same as the 3000+.

He means that AMD discontinued it in favor of his more advanced processor lines.

Back