Does anyone have: Thermaltake Matrix VX?

AaronZ

n00b
I am looking to upgrade my case but want to keep it on the DL (low budget). I want a case with either no door or a basic door, no LED fans (these can be replaced tho), hard drives mount facing away from the motherboard, 120mm fans (no 80s) and a plus would be a removable tray.

So from that, I went looking on Newegg. I can across the Thermaltake Matrix VX series of cases. I found the all back one without a window for $79. URL ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811133018 ) My question is, does anyone have this or any of the Matrix VX series cases? If so let me know your thoughts and opinions. If not, please do the same or recommend a case to me.

TIA,
Aaron

I have that case and am using it right now.

With the following components

Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi
E6400@3200
Alpha socket 775 cooler
2x1GB Teamgroup PC6400
EVGA 8800 GTX
Creative XFi
2 x 750 GB Seagate SATA
Liteon Black SATA DVDRom
Plextor PX755SA SATA DVDRW
Silverstone SST-60F Modular PSU
2x Scythe 120mm fans, 1 intake, 1 exhaust
Antec Spot Cooler blowing air on the RAM.

It doesn't have a removable mobo tray but I found the case easy to work with. It has a removable bar to allow the PSU to be removed without pulling the motherboard.

Aside from that I like the case alot. Its light as hell when empty and the side panels are a little bit flimsy but for $80-90 I would recommend it heartily.

Seems like a bit of a ripoff considering the Centurion 5 is about $50 and the 532 is only slightly more. Then again, this case is aluminum, but that isn't necessarily a good thing(vibration). The case itself looks pretty decent, just not that great compared to what else is out there.

I have the Thermaltake Sviking VA4000, which I think is similar. I like it a lot - love top-mounted USB ports. I like the side-ways mounted hard drives too.

But today I'd buy the Centurion 532 - assuming you don't mind the bottom-mounted USB ports.

I agree, no door is the way to go - my door is always open and it looks retardate.

Thank you all for your input. I like the Centurion 534 but not the 532. Here is why I do not like about the 532:
1. The bars on the front.
2. The centurion logo on the front.

What I do like:
1. 2x120mm fans
2. Top USB

So I am not sure which one to get.

AaronZ said:
Thank you all for your input. I like the Centurion 534 but not the 532. Here is why I do not like about the 532:
1. The bars on the front.
2. The centurion logo on the front.

What I do like:
1. 2x120mm fans
2. Top USB

So I am not sure which one to get.

i meant the 534 yes! Don't like the 532 either.

I recommended the 532 for the mesh front and 120mm intake. To be honest, I'm not really crazy about the pillars either. I would still suggest the regular Centurion 5 over the Thermaltake case though, since it's probably just as well laid-out(if not better), and it's a lot cheaper.

My only complaint of the Centurion 5 is that the 3.5 hard drive bays will stick out over the motherboard. I do not want this. I want the drives mounted so they are facing the left or right side of the case.

AaronZ said:
My only complaint of the Centurion 5 is that the 3.5 hard drive bays will stick out over the motherboard. I do not want this. I want the drives mounted so they are facing the left or right side of the case.
The drive bays and drives themselves do not extend over the motherboard. I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe, which is a pretty wide motherboard, and I've got about an inch of clearance between the rear of my hard drives and the edge of the motherboard. Rotated HD cages also tend to block airflow.

AaronZ said:
Could you post a pic of your case so I can see the placement of hard drives in relation to the motherboard?

Thanks,
Aaron

EDIT: Can someone tell me if this fan will easily install in the Centurion 5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185020
You can't really see it that well in this picture, but there's between half an inch and a full inch of space between the mobo and the HD:
newpclowressh1.jpg

As for that fan, I don't know if it'll fit with the tool-less drive mounting system.

AaronZ said:
Sweet, thanks for that. That fan would take up 3x5.25 drive bays correct?
Correct. It would leave you for two 5.25" devices, which should be enough.

Back