does anyone know how to disable sideband addressing?

kniah

2[H]4U
Does anyone know how to disable sideband addressing (SBA)...specifically for a Geforce 4 Ti4200? I am running it in 8x mode and getting artifacts in some games. I've tried Rivatuner and Powerstrip, but so far no luck in turning SBA off. I've read that SBA can cause instability. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Should be a setting in the BIOS of the mobo if im not mistaken....

-Vi

Hey...I checked the bios (got a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0 with the latest bios)...doesn't seem to be a setting in there. I think it's enabled by default in the video card's bios...I'm not exactly sure though, and I'm not sure how to change it if that is the case...

there is an option somewhere in your systems BIOS. shouldnt be a way to turn it off in windows, i may be mistaken tho

It might just be that my bios doesn't have that option. Is it called something other than SBA? Here are the options my bios has:

Under "Advanced Chipset Features" -> AGP:

AGP Performance - Fast
AGP Aperture Size - 128M
AGP Mode - 8X
AGP Driving Control - Auto (I think it's set to DA)
AGP Fast Writes - Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Write - Disabled
AGP Master 1 WS Read - Disabled
AGP 3.0 Calibration - Enabled

In the menu outside of AGP is has something called Spread Spectrum (set to disabled), I'm not sure what that is. Thanks.

what happnes if u turn off the sideband addressing .
does this make the card faster??
can it hurt your card and mobo.
i see this seting in my mobo
an asuse kn8e- deluxe

From what I've read, sideband addressing theoretically makes your card run faster (although benchmarks seem to indicate that the performance increase is somewhat negligable) at the cost of stability. The reason why I'm trying to turn it off is because I get random lines and polygons when I play certain games, or other games tend to crash. I'm not sure if it'll damage your video card if it doesn't support it (it might cause your graphics to be messed up or boot to a blank screen). I'm pretty sure all modern cards support it (my GF4 Ti4200 8x does).

Vi, how did you do it in Rivatuner? I tried version 2.0 candidate 15.2...

Power User -> RivaTuner 2.0RC 15.2\AGP ->AGPSBA

and gave it a value of 0. When I restart, and use CPUZ or PowerStrip, it still says that SBA is enabled. Am I doing it right? Thanks for the help.

Well did you try under the main page, not the top triangle thing (low-level) but the second one should be Driver one. It should be in the AGP settings in there....

I tried to go back into it, but it was grayed out in mine...i swore it was selectedable in there...maybe ive been staring at to many computer screens lately...who knows...

-Vi

Back