Does AT&T have any good smartphone besides the iphone?

Kueller

Supreme [H]ardness
My work uses ATT, so I'm kind of locked in to them. I got a iphone 3g last time around, and I'm due for an upgrade. Is the iphone 4 the best smartphone ATT has/will have in the next month or so? This 3g is excruciatingly slow when loading/browsing/manipulating web pages, which is most of what I use it for and I'd like to get something faster asap. I'd kind of like to try an android phone for the customizability, but I haven't seen anything compelling on ATT. If I stick with an iphone I can also use my current apps and stuff.

Recommendations?

AT&T has a few nice Android phones (Captivate being the best by far) and quite a few Windows Phone 7 phones where just introduced yesterday.

IMO, get the Captivate and discover xda-developers.com!

You can't go wrong with the iphone 4 or captivate, both are brilliant. get the iphone if you want something that works all the time, or the captivate if you want to tweak and customize to your hearts desire, flash custom ROMs with new features, overclock, etc.

Well, I stopped by the store this evening on my way home and briefly fondled the IP4 and Captivate.

The 3.5" screen on the IP4 looks gorgeous. But damn, I wish it were a full 4" like the Captivate. Side by side the 3.5" just seems so much smaller when browsing. I know it's got more pixels, but my eyes just can't read text that small, I can only read so much of a webpage on 3.5".

Didn't have time to even begin to learn the Captivate UI or Android OS, so I was much more at home with the IP4, but by the same token, it didn't seem all that new to me. I also want to try them both in direct/indirect sunlight, something my 3g doesn't handle very well. Right now I'm leaning towards the bigger screen...Oh man, if someone made an edge-to-edge 4.3" 960x640 screen I'd be all over it. Swappable battery is also a big plus in my book, so another plus for the Captivate.

Since I'm here...Any early reviews of the Focus?

One complaint I see pop up a lot on the Captivate is the poor GPS performance. Has this been improved at all from the launch reviews?

I know there has been an official OTA patch for the GPS issues experienced on the Captivate and Vibrant. I've never touched them, so I cant say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed now.

The only other phone I would consider over the iPhone is the Captivate.. actually I would prefer it over the iPhone for the sole purpose of not feeling like a doucher when I use it in public, lol. I can't help but chuckle to myself when I see other people flaunt their iPhone. :D

Well the iphone is great in all but I love my android device. Will never go back to an iphone. I would go with the captivate.

One complaint I see pop up a lot on the Captivate is the poor GPS performance. Has this been improved at all from the launch reviews?

Mine was pretty spotty but functional at launch but after the JH7 update last month it's A LOT quicker and accurate now.

you can increase your selection if you don't mind getting an unlocked device....

you can increase your selection if you don't mind getting an unlocked device....

That would mean he would probably have to spend double. It's an upgrade through his work, whether or not if they are paying for the phone I don't know but I doubt they will pay for an unlocked phone if he can get an upgrade phone at half price.

I would go with the captivate. My brother in law and my friend both have 3gs iphones and both are on the fritz and are less than 1 year old. One constantly drops calls or doesn't let them through (and it's not att) and the other constantly locks up (not on the 4.0 ios either). I played around with the captivate and the bigger screen is great.

Go with the Captivate for sure. The only thing bad with the Captivate is the GPS and even then it is quite usable at least for me...it is not the super perfect tracking if you use MyTracks to see how accurate it is but at the end of the day it takes me where I need to go so no big deal.
Everything else is way above the Iphone 4 and android is just going to dominate the market.
Now if you do not like to tinker with phones and stuff you may not get all you can get from it.
Right now I am in a beta Froyo rom and it is awesome.

There's a few, but they're all CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) ;).
What are they because I know someone on Sprint.

I bought a Captivate this morning because I want to compare it to my iPhone 4 myself.

What are they because I know someone on Sprint.

I bought a Captivate this morning because I want to compare it to my iPhone 4 myself.

Well of course there's going to be a couple trade-offs with dimensions and features, but out of the Sprint Galaxy S phones, the Epic 4G is the best one IMO because it's the only one with a physical keyboard. You may think differently. Also, the HTC Evo might be better to some people with its bigger screen, 4G, HDMI out, front facing camera (Epic has this too) and its high speed kick stand, hah. There might be a couple others on Sprint that are comparable, but I'm not sure since I'm on Verizon and mostly keep tabs on them.

Last edited:
Are you and the OP the same person?

No but that doesn't change the fact that iOS is a feature phone OS compared to Android. You could always go to T-Mobile and grab a G2 but there are good stable 2.2 roms out for the Captivate as long as you don't mind the shit GPS.

No but that doesn't change the fact that iOS is a feature phone OS compared to Android. You could always go to T-Mobile and grab a G2 but there are good stable 2.2 roms out for the Captivate as long as you don't mind the shit GPS.

I have a fully modded Evo running CM6 and I find this pretty ignorant. iPhones are most definitely smart phones. Where is your basis for argument?

If you are using the captivate, I highly recommend modding it to fully open up its full capabilties. My GPS locks in FAST, overall system is fast and wireless tethering is stable.

Like what? Cause other than the GPS I dont see anything else any other phone can do better at this moment.

Read my post above. Like I said, it depends on what you prefer in a phone. I would rather have the Epic 4G out of any of the Galaxy S phones because it has a keyboard. Also it has 4G and a LED flash on the camera that I couldn't give a shit about for pics, but I use the LEDs on my Droid almost daily as a flash light. I would argue that coverage would be better overall too since it'll roam on Verizons network which everyone knows is much better than AT&Ts.

Some people might prefer a larger screen on the Evo or Droid X too. I wouldn't say these phones are significantly better, but I would rather have any of the above phones (mostly a Droid 2 right now though) over a Captivate. Mostly for hardware related reasons, but not having 2.2 (unless you root it) on the Galaxy S phones doesn't help too.

Back