does dual core opteron need any drivers?

Xeero

Gawd
besides the gaming fixes, on the sticky thread. would i need to install any drivers for the dual core opteron? is it recommended or no?

Depends which HAL layer your Windows installed with. You sometimes change it to multiprocessor in device manager if it's on ACPI Uniprocessor CPU.

all you have to do is reboot usually, the ACPI driver should load for a multi cpu system on first boot, and then will be fine after the reboot, at least with mine it worked that way fine, didn't have to do anything, none of the gaming fixes, hotfixes, etc.....plug-n-play

I just did a fresh install of windows, i'd suggest the same for you too, as for the drivers and gaming fixes, don't do them unless you notic problems in the games you're playing, sometimes they'll make things worse and bring up issues in other games. I haven't had to use the gaming fixes at all so i dunno if you will either. :D

I would also put /usepmtimer in the boot.ini - or install the AMD dual-core driver.

AFAIK, all that AMD's dual core driver does is allow support for cool'n'quiet, so no, no driver is required.

RavenD said:
AFAIK, all that AMD's dual core driver does is allow support for cool'n'quiet, so no, no driver is required.

that was my understanding too after doing some more reading, nobody here, unless they arent overclocking is using cool n' quiet

Back