Does Galaxy tend to be an acceptable brand?

Klaerth

Weaksauce
I've been trying to find a budget card for a friend who's GPU friend about a week ago, and with his price limit at the moment (~$100), the best I've found is a GTS 250 from Galaxy.

Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315570

From what I read in my searching, it's a fairly well respected company, if not too big in North America. I just wanted to ascertain that it would be a safe purchase, and also slip out tendrils to see if anyone has ideas/preferences on whether he should get something else instead. I've tried to prod him to obtain a bit more money and go for a 4870 or GTS 260 instead, but he's thus far adamantly refused. =>

I had no issues with my G92 8800GTS from Galaxy. Saved tons of $$$ and it's a reference card just like almost all of the others.

As a reseller myself, I would say that Galaxy is ok (I have a GTX295 galaxy in my machine at the moment)
I would put them a tiny bit lower or on the same level as Pailt/Gainward and Inno3D
The Galaxy 8800GT had ALOT of RMAs though..so it depends n each model.
ps.
I'm in Australia.

You can see my galaxy cards in my sig. Very happy. Also the galaxy reps hang around the forums here so thats a plus

I have two 9600GTs from the Dell sale a few months ago. They've been really solid for my guest PC. For budget cards the packaging was good and I had no issues with the build quailty or performance.

Thankee for all of the responses. I'll pass on the good/safe word. =>

I've been trying to find a budget card for a friend who's GPU friend about a week ago, and with his price limit at the moment (~$100), the best I've found is a GTS 250 from Galaxy.

Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315570

From what I read in my searching, it's a fairly well respected company, if not too big in North America. I just wanted to ascertain that it would be a safe purchase, and also slip out tendrils to see if anyone has ideas/preferences on whether he should get something else instead. I've tried to prod him to obtain a bit more money and go for a 4870 or GTS 260 instead, but he's thus far adamantly refused. =>

I think they are looking to make a name for themselves in the US. I am watching them but so far they seem a lower end (in terms of what they sell) I have been told by their rep that they have every intention of moving into the enthusiast market.

their prices are usually acceptable... i've only had a 8800gt which i replaced rather quickly, but it never gave me any problems

Back