Does no more unlimited data plans make you want to join a new carrier?

Change in data plans make you want to switch to a different carrier

• Yes

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters

FerraraZ

Gawd
Simple question really. ATT is axing their unlimited data plans effective 6/7 and while most ATT users right now will be grandfathered into their previous contract it was my understanding that after their contract is up, they will have to resort to using their new data plan scheme.

Verizon is said to be doing the same with their LTE in 2011, so I ask you does having these two major carriers change their data plans make you want to join Sprint, T-Mobile or some other carrier that has services where you live?

I'm a subscriber of Verizon and so far have had no problem however I do like to tether my phone to my laptop and do not want to risk going over 5GB and eating an overage cost. Sprint has me interested with pretty good coverage and 4G (I live just outside of Philadelphia) not to mention you could always just roam on Verizon's network for talk and text.

Things were never unlimited. All the major carriers still have 5gb caps as defined by fair use in the TOS. I imagine it won't be long before all the other carriers follow suit. Also, you don't have to switch anything when your contract expires. Not everyone has a contract to begin with as you never needed one.

the most data I use on my phone is only due to it syncing with my work Exchange account.
which I'm sure doesn't account for much.

So it doesn't bother me in the least. Especially if it'll bring the cost down a bit.

Not sure about that 5GB cap. My friend always uses his phone tether and had usages over 10GB for a monthly bill and only received a warning from T-Mobile.

Your friend received warnings because of that 5gb cap. Like I said, the 5gb limit is what constitutes fair use per the TOS of all the major carriers. Read the fine print and you'll see. Just because they didn't charge them for excess usage that time doesn't mean they won't in the future.

I am jumping from AT&T to Sprint but not because of the new data plans but because of the EVO! Anyway, I wish AT&T offered a lesser data plan before so I could have saved $15 a month for the duration of my iPhone contract. I have Wifi everywhere I go, school, work, home, friends and tons of coffee shops and I hardly use my 3G. It would be nice if they offered these plans AS WELL AS an unlimited plan for those with higher data usages.

I am jumping from AT&T to Sprint but not because of the new data plans but because of the EVO! Anyway, I wish AT&T offered a lesser data plan before so I could have saved $15 a month for the duration of my iPhone contract. I have Wifi everywhere I go, school, work, home, friends and tons of coffee shops and I hardly use my 3G. It would be nice if they offered these plans AS WELL AS an unlimited plan for those with higher data usages.

Exact same thing for me. With wifi everywhere, I rarely use 3g for anything other than checking email or looking up phone numbers while out. $15 /month * 24 months = $360 I would have saved since I got my iphone.

I think the thing is though you guys are forgetting is that our uses for phones is only going to increase as applications do more and require more data. What you may not use now might change in 2 years.

I think the thing is though you guys are forgetting is that our uses for phones is only going to increase as applications do more and require more data. What you may not use now might change in 2 years.
Welcome to how mobile carriers work. SMS pricing only went up over time as it got more popular. They are a business after all and are here to turn a profit.

And so is wifi penetration. I'll take the $15/month for now.

maybe

it depends on what phones are avalible on other carriers and what plans/pricing they're offering at the time.

However, since I'm grandfathered in, it's not a huge deal at the moment. I am, however, one of the people that uses a significant amount of bandwidth so I have ZERO interest in going to their proposed 200mb-2gb cap plan.

Thats the kind of plan that I had back in 04... I'd rather use my phone on wifi for internet than pay them $15.00 for 200mb of transfers, personally. That's a pretty raw deal.

Honestly, this is going to depend a ton on your data usage. Mine is around 100MB /month since I have access to wifi almost everywhere. With these changes this is what my monthly cost will be across all plans:

AT&T - $60 (450 minutes, 200 texts, 200 MB data)
Sprint - $80 (450 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, "premium" phone charge for EVO)
Verizon - $75 (450 minutes, 250 texts, unlimited data)

I very, very rarely go over 200 texts or 200MB data so AT&T is looking really good. Especially since there's no 4G coverage for the EVO and AT&T actually has good service here. Sprint does have better service at some places where I frequently travel though.

Well, I'm already on vzw, so it appears my plan may be one of the last to get officially capped. ...so I'm not really sure how to vote on the poll. :p I don't feel a need to switch, so I guess voting No is correct.

Watching my data usage so far on android, it looks like I'm using over 120mb per day (listening to a ton of internet radio and downloading new apps), so I think it's pretty safe to say as long as my cap stays at/above 5gb I'll be just fine.

FYI, just read this on engadget

one of the key tidbits that's come out of the discussion so far is that folks on the current $30 smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan when upgrading hardware. Translation: yes, you'll be able to get a new iPhone without switching to the $25 / 2GB DataPro plan if you so choose. What you won't be able to do, though, is keep the $30 plan and add on the $20 tethering option

so, if there's any truth to that, it sounds like re-signing a contract for a new subsidied phone, you can keep your $30 "unlimited" plan.

Well, I know they say the average American uses on average 2GB, but I don't want that what if factor going on.

The funniest thing is that this went public without AT&T notifying their store employees. I called my local AT&T store and no one knew about this change!!

Well, I know they say the average American uses on average 2GB, but I don't want that what if factor going on.

The funniest thing is that this went public without AT&T notifying their store employees. I called my local AT&T store and no one knew about this change!!

No, it's not that the average person uses 2GB - it's that ~60% use under 200MB and 98% use less than 2GB. Big difference.

I'm considering bailing from AT&T mainly due to service related issues, not due to this new contract (although it does play a factor). I've never experienced so many dropped/missed calls with any other carrier.

I see a lot of people posting about how they don't care because they don't use much data right now. I think the important thing is not what you use now, but what you will most likely use in the future. Right now on my G1, I'm using around 100 - 150MB per month, well under the 2GB plan. However, right now I barely use my G1 for anything other then calls, occasional texts and very rare browsing and app use. The reasons for this are many. The screen on mine isn't really nice enough for video, I don't listen to music on it, I don't tether with it and the speeds aren't the greatest. I would think, given a better phone and 4G speeds, that I would use a heck of a lot more data then I do now. In a year or two I can definitely see using more data. AT&T isn't setting this up as much for "right now" as it is for down the line when everyone is using tons of data. That's when they'll really reap the benefits of these higher prices. IMHO anyway.

I see a lot of people posting about how they don't care because they don't use much data right now. I think the important thing is not what you use now, but what you will most likely use in the future. Right now on my G1, I'm using around 100 - 150MB per month, well under the 2GB plan. However, right now I barely use my G1 for anything other then calls, occasional texts and very rare browsing and app use. The reasons for this are many. The screen on mine isn't really nice enough for video, I don't listen to music on it, I don't tether with it and the speeds aren't the greatest. I would think, given a better phone and 4G speeds, that I would use a heck of a lot more data then I do now. In a year or two I can definitely see using more data. AT&T isn't setting this up as much for "right now" as it is for down the line when everyone is using tons of data. That's when they'll really reap the benefits of these higher prices. IMHO anyway.

I can always change my plan later. Also, even if I use more later, I will still be connected to Wifi the majority of the time. Especially when doing data intensive tasks.

I would much rather pay for what I use instead of paying the same price the guy using 20x my bandwidth is paying.

Sorry, that's not the point I was trying to make. Going from unlimited (5GB cap) to a tiered pricing schedule is almost definitely going to cost the majority more in the long run. Maybe not now, but they are laying the groundwork for you to pay more money, but be okay with it because short term you'll pay less. Yes, you can change your plan, but when you start using more data those plans are going to be more expensive then they are now.

Sorry, that's not the point I was trying to make. Going from unlimited (5GB cap) to a tiered pricing schedule is almost definitely going to cost the majority more in the long run. Maybe not now, but they are laying the groundwork for you to pay more money, but be okay with it because short term you'll pay less. Yes, you can change your plan, but when you start using more data those plans are going to be more expensive then they are now.

So? Prices would still rise if they were unlimited and people started using more data. At least this way I don't have the subsidize the high use crowd that I will likely never be in because of access to wifi.

Last edited:
And my response doesn't change. You also assume these tiers won't change with data usage changes.

Answer me this, why should the person using 100MB/month of data pay the exact same amount as the person using 5GB/month of data?

Things were never unlimited. All the major carriers still have 5gb caps as defined by fair use in the TOS. I imagine it won't be long before all the other carriers follow suit. Also, you don't have to switch anything when your contract expires. Not everyone has a contract to begin with as you never needed one.

They ended up going to the 5gig cap. Either att or verizon was the first too, can't remember. Want to say verizon was the first to list 5 gigs but att was the first to start charging when you go over it.

I've pushed over 5 gigs accross my blackberry before and thats without hooking it up to a computer. Between email and sprints services it can add up. My sprint evdo card is still on an unlimited account. Generally only push a few gigs through it a month but I've pushed a good deal over 5 multiple times(never more then 20 or 30 gigs though).

And my response doesn't change. You also assume these tiers won't change with data usage changes.

Answer me this, why should the person using 100MB/month of data pay the exact same amount as the person using 5GB/month of data?

Not picking on you in general, but this attitude is shortsighted. The only reason a greedy company like AT&T makes a change like this is not to provide any price relieving benefit for their customers. It's because they know that in a short period of time, data usage is going to go up drastically and this pricing structure will ensure greater profits for the company. To be honest, I agree that you shouldn't have to pay the same as someone who consumes 10X the data. More then that though, I think NO ONE should pay the high prices we already pay, not to mention the exhorbitant fees this change will create.

These wireless providers know we're on the verge of using orders of magnitude more data then we do now. Maybe not this year, maybe not even next year, but guaranteed within the next 3 - 5 years and they're getting ready to squeeze as much profit from that as possible. If they were serious about saving customers money, they would simply lower the prices of the plans for those who consume less data and leave the higher end consumers alone. No, this is all about making as much as they can while screwing their customers. Adding a fee for tethering? Why would they do that when they're already increasing what they charge for the bandwidth usage. That's like being charged twice for the same thing. It shouldn't matter how the bandwidth is used or by what device if they're charging for bandwidth consumption.

Honestly, this is going to depend a ton on your data usage. Mine is around 100MB /month since I have access to wifi almost everywhere. With these changes this is what my monthly cost will be across all plans:

AT&T - $60 (450 minutes, 200 texts, 200 MB data)
Sprint - $80 (450 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, "premium" phone charge for EVO)
Verizon - $75 (450 minutes, 250 texts, unlimited data)

I very, very rarely go over 200 texts or 200MB data so AT&T is looking really good. Especially since there's no 4G coverage for the EVO and AT&T actually has good service here. Sprint does have better service at some places where I frequently travel though.

Sprint's 4G rollout is accelerating through the end of the year, probably because of the EVO.

You also forgot to mention that Sprint has free mobile-to-mobile calling in the US. It effectively gives me unlimited minutes.

(I voted "no")

My 2 cents is basically that I don't agree with the changing of the pricing structure, but at the same time I look at data on my phone as a tool to look up information or to read RSS feeds. I do plan my life on my phone etc (I use a Blackberry) but if I am in a situation in which I need to browse for a long period of time, I'll find a computer instead.

This does however affect people that were tethering and that too me is a significantly larger issue. 200MB for basic browsing is plenty, I would argue that downloading while on your phone (except for apps) is mostly unnecessary (though I'm sure many people would disagree with this sentiment.)

I'm honestly hoping that Verizon and Sprint capitalize on this to take all of the people that don't like this change away from ATT. If they don't I'll be hounding the government about price fixing agreements between the three :p

I use about a gig per month, maybe a little more. I used 261 mb last week alone. I try to limit the tethering so I don't go to nuts with the data. Verizon has been decent so far.

cell phone carriers IMO need more competition, pricing is too coordinated like a monopoly. bandwidth I can understand, other stuff that takes virtually 0 bandwidth (ie: text messages) I find the policies annoying.

This reminds me of a realization I had when choosing landline phone service a couple years ago.
I could either get the measured-rate or flat-rate. Before, I automatically picked flat-rate because it was unlimited local calls, but then I actually thought about it and I almost never make or receive calls anyway.

Nowadays I don't even have landline service, but I'm not so quick to jump at "unlimited" anymore. :p

This reminds me of a realization I had when choosing landline phone service a couple years ago.
I could either get the measured-rate or flat-rate. Before, I automatically picked flat-rate because it was unlimited local calls, but then I actually thought about it and I almost never make or receive calls anyway.

Nowadays I don't even have landline service, but I'm not so quick to jump at "unlimited" anymore. :p

I think there's some sort of mental thing about unlimited service. People are comforted knowing it's there, even if they never use it, and I think that's where a lot of the backlash is coming from.

Not picking on you in general, but this attitude is shortsighted. The only reason a greedy company like AT&T makes a change like this is not to provide any price relieving benefit for their customers. It's because they know that in a short period of time, data usage is going to go up drastically and this pricing structure will ensure greater profits for the company. To be honest, I agree that you shouldn't have to pay the same as someone who consumes 10X the data. More then that though, I think NO ONE should pay the high prices we already pay, not to mention the exhorbitant fees this change will create.

These wireless providers know we're on the verge of using orders of magnitude more data then we do now. Maybe not this year, maybe not even next year, but guaranteed within the next 3 - 5 years and they're getting ready to squeeze as much profit from that as possible. If they were serious about saving customers money, they would simply lower the prices of the plans for those who consume less data and leave the higher end consumers alone. No, this is all about making as much as they can while screwing their customers. Adding a fee for tethering? Why would they do that when they're already increasing what they charge for the bandwidth usage. That's like being charged twice for the same thing. It shouldn't matter how the bandwidth is used or by what device if they're charging for bandwidth consumption.

Well this is just an argument that these companies are charging too much for data. This could very well be sure, I don't know. But Sprint and Verizon have razor thin profit margins which have been falling over the last 5 years (Sprint is actually in the red). AT&T does well but they are much more than a cellular provider so I'm not sure what their wireless division does.

All companies are always trying to squeeze as much profit as they can. They are doing that right now. They were doing it 5 years ago. It's competition, or the threat of competition, that prevents this.

I agree the tethering fee is total BS with data caps. But that's why I won't pay it.

I'm with T-mobile so this doesn't really effect me. I do however use 2-3gbs a month because I tether or use my phone as a wireless AP for myself and friends.

I agree that they should have tiered data plans for people who don't use much but they should also still include the unlimited for the same price they offer it for now.

I've been with at&t for over 8 years and I don't really plan on switching now.

AT&T to Cingular to at&t

I think there's some sort of mental thing about unlimited service. People are comforted knowing it's there, even if they never use it, and I think that's where a lot of the backlash is coming from.
people are comfortable with unlimited plans because they have seen youtube videos about the alternatives where others get hit with a 20 thousand dollar phone bill or other types of nonsense like that. What other industry can allow you to run up your bill 20000% in one month?

people are comfortable with unlimited plans because they have seen youtube videos about the alternatives where others get hit with a 20 thousand dollar phone bill or other types of nonsense like that. What other industry can allow you to run up your bill 20000% in one month?

Well yea, that's ridiculous, but has really nothing to do with tiered plans. $10/GB after using 2GB is reasonable. If anything, this type of problem has been improved or removed entirely.

I'm not sure, but weren't those bills from traveling overseas with a GSM carrier?

Back