Does the Logitech G400 cord snag?

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi urybody. I'm thinking of getting a Logitech G400 mouse for my gaming, but I'm wondering if anyone who owns one has had issues with the cord catching or snagging since it's unbraided. I'm used to braided cords since 2006 when I got my first G5, then another, then my G500 and yet another one of those. However I want to try an optical mouse for gaming and the G400 looks great except for the cord.

Anyone have a Logitech G400 mouse? :)

I have a MX500, MX510, and MX518 and none have died because of snagging cords. On the other hand, I have has a G5 die because of the cord getting torn up over acouple years of use. I'd say the smooth cable is better then the braided.

what are you guys doing to the cords?

i had my G5 (well I had two of them) for like 4 years no issues with the cord

and I have had a G500 since april~ (so not so long) also no probs with cord.

one of my G5 works fine still (my wife uses it) and the other had the scroll wheel go kinda wonky after 4~ years so it has been retired in favor of the g500.

but i have never had a problem with a mouse cord before the logiteches I rocked intellimouse Explorer 3.0's for years before the logitech's

Braiding is really an aesthetic preference, not a performance one. If anything, a braided cable will snag more frequently - though the incremental amount will really not be significant. And since all braided cables are really just standard cables with fabric sheath over them, the major performance difference between them is that the braiding adds a small amount of stiffness to the cable.

Braiding is really an aesthetic preference, not a performance one. If anything, a braided cable will snag more frequently - though the incremental amount will really not be significant. And since all braided cables are really just standard cables with fabric sheath over them, the major performance difference between them is that the braiding adds a small amount of stiffness to the cable.

All I can say to this post, is it is absolutely not true!

I don't have any problem with snagging because all my cords are braided. I have to respectfully disagree and say that it is absolutely not true that braided cords snag. That's why Logitech put them on all of their corded mice since the G5 came out. I had the same experience as atarione above. And....yeh...braided cords are not for looks at all, they are for functionality, because the MX510 and the MX518 WERE having issues snagging Logitech has since used braided cords...until the G400 came out. Which is the actual question in my OP.

I am Logitech's gaming mouse product manager.

Braided cables are functionally not significantly different than standard PVC-covered ones.

I am Logitech's gaming mouse product manager.

Braided cables are functionally not significantly different than standard PVC-covered ones.

I don't care who you are, braided cables are functionally very significantly different than plastic coated ones.

While I'm glad you like them, I'm now very curious as to what a PVC covered cable will snag on that a cloth covered cable will not. Because all the testing I've seen and the products I've used show there is no perceptible difference between them.

I don't care who you are, braided cables are functionally very significantly different than plastic coated ones.

You're right, the braided cables are different; they're actually pretty bad. I owned a G5, the braiding got snagged to hell.

They don't function anything different from a plastic coated cable, in fact they are plastic coated underneath the braiding. Get over it.

You're right, the braided cables are different; they're actually pretty bad. I owned a G5, the braiding got snagged to hell.

They don't function anything different from a plastic coated cable, in fact they are plastic coated underneath the braiding. Get over it.

I don't have time for your ignorance, so you get over that. I wish I hadn't started this thread, but 99% of the time I get great feedback here. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thanks to everyone that was helpful, unlike this jerk wad "Eureka".

have had a mx510, have 2 mx518 and also a g400. The g400s cord is thinner than the 518s. They say it makes it lighter but I prefer the thicker cord as it has a better feel. You will not however have a proble with the g400 chord, it wont snag. I have had it for about half a year and its still in perfect condition.

I say go for it, the mx518 is better cuz the wheel is clickier than the g400 but g400 is a good substitute aka better than if they stoped making that excellend form factor.

Thank you very much, r3awak3n for your reply. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I appreciate your helpfulness. I guess I should just go ahead and snag one and give it a try. They are only $45.00 at Newegg atm. I mainly wanted to try one to see if the optical sensor is substantially smoother than a laser sensor mouse, like my g500. Again thanks.:)

No problem Prozac1964. I never used a g500 so I can't compare the 2 but its a pretty smooth mouse with high dpi (something I prefer to the mx518 it cam to replace).

Also, someone is selling an almost new one for sale in the sale section for $30 if you are interested:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1738169

I have a G400 and a G5. The G5's braiding snags more on paper edges and mine is slightly frayed in a few places, but against larger surfaces such as a monitor stand won't snag. The G5's snagging isn't so much a loss in movement that you notice, but rather dragging a piece of paper along with your movement.

The G400 I haven't had any snagging issues with. $45 for the G400 is kind of high. I got both of mine in the $35 range.

No problem Prozac1964. I never used a g500 so I can't compare the 2 but its a pretty smooth mouse with high dpi (something I prefer to the mx518 it cam to replace).

Also, someone is selling an almost new one for sale in the sale section for $30 if you are interested:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1738169

Thanks for the feedback.

G400 is a great mouse.

Also thanks for the feedback.

I have a G400 and a G5. The G5's braiding snags more on paper edges and mine is slightly frayed in a few places, but against larger surfaces such as a monitor stand won't snag. The G5's snagging isn't so much a loss in movement that you notice, but rather dragging a piece of paper along with your movement.

The G400 I haven't had any snagging issues with. $45 for the G400 is kind of high. I got both of mine in the $35 range.

Thanks for your input. BTW, where are you finding the $35 ones?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BTW, where are you finding the $35 ones?

They go on sale decently often. I bought my first G400 from Newegg for $35 (came with $25 worth of World of Tanks goodies), and my second G400 from Amazon for $30.

I gave one to my brother, use the other G400 at the office, and at home have been using a G5 for at least 4 years.

I have both the G500 and G400, so I can give a little comparison...

-I would say that the braided cord of the G500 is a little more apt to snag, but it's not a big problem for either mouse.

-The G500 makes a high-pitched squealing sound, the G400 is silent.

-The G400 has a "perfect" sensor, while the G500 has some innate acceleration with its sensor.

-Both have great shapes, I prefer the G500 slightly, but that's very subjective.

-The G500's right click is a little too sensitive, I sometimes click it accidentally.

-I prefer the G500's wheel, but I hardly ever have to use it in first person shooters, and that's another subjective thing.

-I think the G500 has much better DPI button placement.

-I find the lift-off distance on the G400 to be way too high, and using a tape fix cuts it down to nothing, which is way too low. The G500's lift-off distance is perfect for me.

I felt more accurate using the G400 in shooters, but the lift-off distance problem was too much for me, so I'll continue using the G500 unless I find a fix for that.

Ok, so I purchased a G400 from Newegg for $39 free shipping. I started wondering if I should uninstall the Setpoint software that controls my G500 to make way for the G400?

I wonder if I could just leave Setpoint installed so that I could plug my G500 in if I should want to use it. Will there be conflicts between Setpoint and LGS in other words, if I do? :confused::)

Thanks for any feedback.
PS: I didn't know there even was a Logitech Gaming Software! LOL! :eek:

The current version of LGS controls both G400 and G500, and replaces SetPoint for G500.

Great! Thanks for the knowledge cpate. BTW sorry if I was rude to you in previous posts, I've been pretty stressed, but that's no reason for me to exercise bad manners.

Thx again.

No worries - my goal is to make products people are happy with and finding out what makes people unhappy is an important part of that.

I have had an MX518 for years and loved it until the right click button kept getting stuck and the feet were worn off. I tried all sorts of mice until the G400 came out, which I hopped on because of the same body. I prefer the non-sleeved cable, the thin cable with braided sleeve is hard to train into position so sometimes it fights me by pushing the mouse when I'm trying to do something precise. Also preferred the glossy coating of the 518. Other than that I have no complaints about it as a replacement.

/\ talking about the mx518 feet. They were aweful but I bought some after market ones and they stuck for much longer.

The g400 has bigger feet (3 instead of 6 I believe). Its not as glidy but I dont think the feet will go anywhere.

Back