Does the modem really matter?

Geekling

Limp Gawd
Just yesterday I had my rented comcast modem die on me. It made me wonder if I would have better results with a Linksys modem or the like.

I do a lot of downloading and uploading. So..if anyone can answer this. Does the cable modem really matter?

As long as the modem is functioning properly - no, it really doesn't have much of an effect.

At my old job (Tech support for a local cable internet company) people would all the time call in and say some variation of "my internet is slow, because my modem is bad. I think you guys need to get out here and replace it." Surprise, surprise, the modem is fine.

As long as the power levels are fine and the modem doesn't have any packet loss, everything should be fine.

Some people using non-Comcast supported modems don't get to experience the "PowerBoost" feature like those who use the trusty Motorola 5120 and Arris units.

If you want to pickup your own modem, you can hit brand new still wrapped in the box 5120 models on FleaBay for under 60 bucks.

Some people using non-Comcast supported modems don't get to experience the "PowerBoost" feature like those who use the trusty Motorola 5120 and Arris units.

If you want to pickup your own modem, you can hit brand new still wrapped in the box 5120 models on FleaBay for under 60 bucks.

Another vote for the "trusty" 5120.

One of my customers is the Local ISP, i do cisco stuff for them but used to do internet support.

We've seen tons of modems and supply ONLY Motorola modems. We have less problems with them as they are not quite as finicky to signal change as other modems. (The old Dlinks where very picky) I'd suggest picking up another 5120 as well. If you go another route, just make sure you get the correct DOCSIS modem for what type of DOCSIS the cable company is running.

network annalyst for a ISP. modems dont matter as long as your signal levels are good. Your modem is throttled, by yoru ISP, so it would be rare that one modem is faster than the other on a throttled network.

So if there anything one can do to increase the speed between the cable and the router?

Does installing the best coax cable help?

Any hack to the modem that can be done?

... you can hit brand new still wrapped in the box 5120 models on FleaBay for under 60 bucks.

Actually $46 (+ $6 s/h + tax if applicable) from the Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122106

I never thought about buying my own since the rental is only a few bucks per month, but might consider it if I ever have problems with this generic device I'm using now.

Anyone had any support issues after they bought their own? I.E., techs being quick to blame the hardware and recommending replacing or renting from them?

Do they continue to charge you for rental on your modem? I got my modem free with a 1 year contract. What sucks is that when I first signed up I got a nice brand new Motorola SB4200 modem, but it got fired by lightning. The modem worked if I used USB, but the ethernet port was fried. I called and they brought me an old beat up SB 4100 as a replacement. I can't complain, it works. I've often thought about buying a new one, but I doubt it will make any difference at all.

Actually $46 (+ $6 s/h + tax if applicable) from the Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122106

I never thought about buying my own since the rental is only a few bucks per month, but might consider it if I ever have problems with this generic device I'm using now.

Anyone had any support issues after they bought their own? I.E., techs being quick to blame the hardware and recommending replacing or renting from them?

I work in a Tier 3 support group for a large cable company and we don't charge rent for our modems nor do any of us blame cable modems, we can tell when a modem is most likely the culprit, Its pretty obvious when a modem is bad, usually it shows high flaps, packet loss and errors.

What happened to the comcast modem?

We use motorolas, Arris, toshiba, and rca modems mostly, we also offer wireless cable modem gateways, which we use netgear, motorola, some linksys, etc...

The Motorolas are the best modems in my opinion, including the wireless ones.

Back