Does the power cable matter?

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm putting my old PSU (620hx) into another PC but I've lost the original power cable that came with the unit.
Is it safe to use any other power cable I happen to have laying around or are there other specs to consider?

some of the older power cords I have were thinner then the newer ones but it shouldn't pose an issue I believe they are 18AWG spec

Only becomes a problem with power supplies over 1200W. They need at least a #14AWG.

A quick search shows for power cords under 50':

18g has a 10amp (1200w) limit.

16g has a 13amp (1500w) limit.

But for the usual 3' to 6' cord 20g is suitable.

Get something with a UL or CSA safety approva printed or stamped into it.. A couple of days ago, somebody plugged a non-approved power cord into an outlet, and it arced at the outlet and tripped a circuit breaker, despite nothing being connected at the other end of the cord. There were no brand or safety certification markings, only "PVC INSULATED COPPER WIRE AND CABLE" printed on it.

Get something with a UL or CSA safety approva printed or stamped into it.. A couple of days ago, somebody plugged a non-approved power cord into an outlet, and it arced at the outlet and tripped a circuit breaker, despite nothing being connected at the other end of the cord. There were no brand or safety certification markings, only "PVC INSULATED COPPER WIRE AND CABLE" printed on it.

^ +1 this... It happened the same to a friend that used a cheap cable....

Back