Does the receiver matter?

S3th13

Gawd
I have the opportunity to get a Pioneer VSX-518K. I currently own a Sony STR-SE391 that I'm using in the living room with a pair of Bose speakers that sound pretty okay for television/movies/gaming. I was thinking about moving the Sony to my bedroom along with the Bose speakers and then eventually upgrading the speakers to a pair of ELT525M and possibly a sub.

Question is:

Does the receiver really matter when powering a simple 2.1 setup? If so, would the Pioneer be a significant upgrade from the Sony?

It matters, but not that much. You should be much, much more concerned about those speakers. Upgrading to some simple quality bookshelf speakers with a modest sub will make more difference than the best pre/amp separates combo on earth.

That Pioneer wouldn't really be enough of an upgrade to worry about either.

Yes the receiver matters. Everything that handles your signal matters.

No, I don't know whether the relative difference in quality between those two is enough to justify the move, and that would also depend on value judgments on your part. I would start by looking at the cost outlay you're considering for the Pioneer and looking at whether it could be used instead to get rid of that "Bose" word that keeps popping up as usually that would have a bigger impact.

If you get the ELTs while they still come with the Gizmo amp, it would give you a basis for comparison.

To tell you the truth, I own the Sony and my father owns the other which he would give to me for free, so cost isn't a factor.

I tried the Pioneer VSX-918K and came away unimpressed. It's a decent receiver, but nothing special. I'd invest in better speakers like those ELTs before buying a new receiver.

Personally I agree that the speakers will give you a better bang for your buck upgrade. But really audio can be Highly subjective.

depends on how good your speakers are, my rule of thumb is I spend 1/2 as much on amplification as I do speakers.

Back