does this cable exist and where?

wayne

2[H]4U
i was looking around for a crimper a few min ago and i found this sites that sells a buncha cabling... i noticed it sold a cable adapter to change vga to bnc... i dont know what that is but it gave me an idea

is there such a cable that changes vga signal into coax, or composite stuff or anyform that can be input onto a tv screen?... if so, is it effective?... if so, where can i buy one and how much?... also, whats the name of this type of cable?

thanks

If you want to go vga-out to tv why not just get a tv card or some sort of breakout box? :confused:

i just wanna keep things simple, like one cable that costs maybe $10 bucks or something

I think it requires a little more than a cable, the vga->tv adapters ive seen have a converter box thing that im sure does more than connect wires.

ok... then my next choice would be to use an s-video to composite cable... i have that... but i cant seem to get it to work

is there any specific instructions/procedures to do this?... i tried this a long time ago and if i can remember properly, i had a SiS 315mx video card with a s-video out and i bought a cable that changes s-video to composite (yellow)... i hooked it up to the tv and i got to the part with win xp loading but after that, i cant see the welcome screen... however, this may not have worked probably because at that time i used an old tv with only coax as an input so i hadda hook it up to a vcr that was probably broken

but NOW i got a new tv with composite and the red and white jacks... before i move my computer to try it out, is there any specific things i have to cover?

thanks

I have done that before (s-video to RCA/composite adapter to a TV).

It does depend on your display drivers to properly implement, so you won't be able to do this installing WinXP. You basically need to set up Windows while it's plugged into a CRT AND the TV (or VCR, or something on the s-video out) and set up the multi-monitor environment to 'clone' to the second monitor (using the s-video port as the 'second monitor').

Least, that's how you had to do it back when I was playing around with this. Don't even have a TV in the house now, so don't have any way of testing the current cards using this idea (last one I used was an ATI Rage Pro!)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
VGA to BNC is pointless for what you want because the BNC connectors simply break out Red/red return, Green/green return, Blue/blue return, Vsync/ground and Hsync/ground from the HD15 connector with no changes. You would only use one of those to connect a card to a monitor with BNC inputs, not to a TV with component input.

dderidex said:
I have done that before (s-video to RCA/composite adapter to a TV).

It does depend on your display drivers to properly implement, so you won't be able to do this installing WinXP. You basically need to set up Windows while it's plugged into a CRT AND the TV (or VCR, or something on the s-video out) and set up the multi-monitor environment to 'clone' to the second monitor (using the s-video port as the 'second monitor').

Least, that's how you had to do it back when I was playing around with this. Don't even have a TV in the house now, so don't have any way of testing the current cards using this idea (last one I used was an ATI Rage Pro!)
so you're saying i have to set the video card up with the monitor first, and then set it to dual display, and then plug in the s-video cable and to the tv composite?

what i plan to do right now is, i have a buncha old computer parts im about to put together... it has everything i need... i will put it together with a regular monitor, install winXP and then take off the monitor and plug in the tv with the svideo/composite cable.... is there anything im missing?

thanks

Back