Does this mean memtest failed?

I would upgrade memtest86+ to the latest version and try again.

Edit: Oh. it looks like you have the memtest86 version not memtest86+. Does this happen again if you test again? Does this happen if you set the memory speed to auto?

Could be bad video ram. Not saying it is, but the potential is there. Get the latest version of MT86+ and try again.

got MT86+ and ran 3 passes error free. I think I found the problem though, my motherboards auto voltage setting sets the ram to 1.5v. In reality my ram requires 1.65v, after fixing the ram voltage I have yet to BSOD!

Don't assume the memory is OK just because it passes a different diagnostic. If it fails even one test when run with the right timings and voltage, consider the RAM bad, unless the author says a program bug caused a false positive. 3 passes isn't much, nor is a single diagnostic program.

Module manufacturers that don't manufacture chips don't do very strict testing.

Well as I said it was undervolted and since then I have not had a problem!!

Don't assume the memory is OK just because it passes a different diagnostic. If it fails even one test when run with the right timings and voltage, consider the RAM bad, unless the author says a program bug caused a false positive. 3 passes isn't much, nor is a single diagnostic program.

Module manufacturers that don't manufacture chips don't do very strict testing.
That really depends though, in the OP's screenshot, memtest wasn't just failing the memory, it was full out failing. Not really a direct indication of bad memory.

I had a scenario where memtest86 completely failed EVERY address on my memory. Again, ran memtest86+, no issues, machine was completely stable running prime95 and HCI memtest simultaneously and separately.

Make sure the program is running correctly before assuming anything, had memtest not failed EVERY address in my case, but only some of them, i would have been more worried.

Otherwise, i generally do agree with you, if a hardware passes one test but fails a different one, I usually consider it unstable.

edit: actually, just reread the op's post. I would have been more worried, didn't read that it was on the 2nd pass that it happened. Im happy you got it figured out op.

Back