Does this notebook exist? 5-6+ hours battery life & discrete graphics?

Sabrewulf165

2[H]4U
Title says it all. As of the time of this posting, something like a Radeon X1400 or GeForce 7400 is what I mean by "discrete" graphics.

It just seems like there is no middle ground with battery life. Either you get something with some gaming abilities that can last *maybe* 4 hours unplugged, or you jump up to ultraportables with no graphics and 6-8 hours battery life.

Isn't there a good compromise out there anywhere?

go for an ultra portable with descrete graphics like the dell m1210. i dont know about the battery life, mine hasnt arrived yet :D

For what it's worth, I asked about battery life with Intel GMA vs nVidia 7400 while talking to one of Dell's sales people and she checked with "somone" and they said it wouldn't affect the battery life, that I should still get 6-8 hours with the 9-cell battery (depending on how i'm using it obviously)

Take it at face value of course since they said that while trying to sell me their product.

From Lenovo there's the Thinkpad T60 and Z61m.

The Thinkpad T60 is available with X1300, X1400 and FireGL v5200 (on the T60p). The extended 9-cell should be able to last 5 hours on normal light usage. Z61m can have the X1400, same deal with the extended 9-cell. Both should get up to 2 hours more if you swap the optical drive with the secondary battery.

From Dell there's the XPS m1210, Inspiron 6400/e1505, Latitude D620 and D820. All can take 9-cell batteries. The Latitudes can have their optical drives be swapped with a 48Wh modular bay battery that'll add 2.5-3 hours more.

Sony has a 13" out there with geforce 7400 AND intel extreme graphics. Turn a switch when you need the power, turn it off to save battery.

MrMitch said:
Sony has a 13" out there with geforce 7400 AND intel extreme graphics. Turn a switch when you need the power, turn it off to save battery.

Sony VAIO SZ Series, ill be getting one this fall :D

Though from experience, you never get anywhere near 6 hours in Stamina mode (integrated graphics enabled). With the extended battery which protrudes from the notebook chassis, you might manage that, but I've never used that ugly creature of a battery.

Just figured I would mention that my Lattitude D610 with extra bay battery gets about ~7 hours of usage in "conserve" mode. Medium backlight, occasional wifi, etc. With no wifi it jumps to about 7.5 hours.

Well I ended up wanting more GPU power than a 7400, so I ordered an Asus A8Jm. The standard 6-cell battery looks to only get 3-4 hours but I'll probably end up buying the optional 8-cell later for a combined 7-9 hours of batt life. Not the most elegant solution, but I just knew I wouldn't be happy with the GeForce 7400 on most of those longer-life notebooks :(

MrMitch said:
That probably won't hit 5-6 hours though, maybe... it's the SZ, doubting that it'll hit that kinda battery, even on integrated power

Back