Does this sound like a Heat or Wattage problem?

Mindriot

Limp Gawd
Here are the New system Specs for a system I'm building for my Pop.

MSI K8N Neo ( MS-7030)
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Socket 754 (using Stock Boxed CPU Fan)
Kingston 512 Value RAM DDR 400
Geforce ti500
DVD ROM
Creative CDRRW
20Gig Western Digital HDD
300W Power Supply**
* This is only a temporary PS until I purchase a 450W or higher*

I built the system and installed windows. And have had some random Shutdowns during install (usually just non-restarts which I will explain below) and now when windows is on the Splash Screen. It's even done it while I was just trolling around in the BIOS.

Also this Computer seems to not want to restart by itself. If i Shut the computer down or Windows needs a restart during installation or driver install.IT will power down normally but the Power LED flashes and I can't power it back on unless I shut off the power supply and turn it back on. I am using a standard 300W power supply and I thought maybe the power supply is faulty. So I threw in a 280W back up I had, just so I could get the installs finished and determine if the 300W is actually faulty. But the same things are happening. But it's gotten to the point the machine is just powering off by itself even sooner.

So I checked MSI and I saw the old CPU over heating explanation, which it may be. But WTF the Stock Fan should at least be enough to get the machine to function in a normal operating enviroment. This Machine isn't going to be a gaming machine. Just generic Office Application like tasks. And it seems very odd that the CPU would get that hot that fast. I know it's possible but the temps in the HW monitor are reporting 32- 35 degrees celcius even when these power problems are happening. If it was heat I would think it would be much higher.

So my question is is this Heat or not enough Juice for the System. These power problems are a little bit Odd. And I'm leaning towards I just need a Larger PS. Like at least a 450W. But I also don't want to turn out to be a faulty MOBO or CPU that is the culprit.

Any suggestions?

Some Mod can delete this thread. And I'm sorry for posting in the same thread 3 times now. But I'm sending this thing back. Apparently this MOBO has this rampant problem after I did some more digging. I knew I shouldn't have treid an MSI MOBO.

It could be just as likely that the 300 watt psu is just not up to the task.. Especialy if it is a generic one.. and the 280 is even worse.. Some good 300 watt power supllies could handle that system, but not all of them.... Hold off the return till you get a high quality 350-400 watt or better.. "Check the psu sticky for some good recomendations"... See if you can borrow a psu if possible to do testing..

Iv'e had generic 300watt power supplies stumble over an old athlon classic system when you up the drive count to 2 optical and 4 hd with a geforce2..

One of them was a Deer psu.. Laugh at my stupidity...

Turned out to be the Mobo. I sent the MSI board back and got a Gigabyte K8NS Pro and everything is working normally. No shutdowns or errors.

Just in canse anyone really cares.:)

Back