does vista run faster if you have a faster video card too?

dBASE3PLUS

n00b
what do you guys think? i have a 7800 gtx 256, do you guys think i should buy a 7900 gtx 512?

The affect on windows vista will be marginal at best. If you're going to upgrade do it because games will be faster.

Although if the 7800GTX 256MB is fast enough for you right now i'd hold off until the next-gen parts from ATI/NVIDIA.

just about any decent video card will run the aero perfectly fine from what ive seen.

but you will need a minimum to run the aero.

Min would probably be a 9500 or 7300GS - along those lines for full GUI effects.

I am more worried if the "Aero" will make GPU's run at 3D speeds all the time...

Terra...

Terra said:
I am more worried if the "Aero" will make GPU's run at 3D speeds all the time...

Terra...

Seconded. That could make your video card work real hard.

i dont see how gaming in vista could be any faster then it is on xp , considering that vista is a slown and bloated os .

if you dont have high end pc with a high end dx10 card i really doubt gaming will be any faster then it is on xp

bobrownik said:
i dont see how gaming in vista could be any faster then it is on xp , considering that vista is a slown and bloated os .

if you dont have high end pc with a high end dx10 card i really doubt gaming will be any faster then it is on xp

Perhaps you should read up on DX10?

Terra...

dBASE3PLUS said:
what do you guys think? i have a 7800 gtx 256, do you guys think i should buy a 7900 gtx 512?
I think you're the video card eqivalent of a girl who owns 30 pairs of shoes. Fuck. Go get some sun.

Terra said:
Most of us are running our procs at full clock all the time, so I don't imagine most will really care about asking the same of the GPU.

I'm thinking it's likely that nVidia/ATi use clock switching to save on power conumption and not to try and keep the chip from premature burnout. Besides, when's the last time any of us have used a graphics card for longer than two to three years?

The absense of clock switching will be a good thing, in my opinion.

phide said:
Most of us are running our procs at full clock all the time, so I don't imagine most will really care about asking the same of the GPU.

I'm thinking it's likely that nVidia/ATi use clock switching to save on power conumption and not to try and keep the chip from premature burnout. Besides, when's the last time any of us have used a graphics card for longer than two to three years?

Well DX10 will be less dependent on the CPU, so how does running your processor at full clock all the time qualify anything? My GPUs nearly double the temps of my proc.

I used my GF3 for 4 years, and it is still working (about to be in my sister's rig for another few years). Watch it last 5-7 years.

phide said:

/BLEAH...
I guees Cool n' Quiet and Speedstepping is something you know nothing about then...
Or the powerbill...
Welcome to the past, please but a ticket for today...

Terra - :rolleyes:

I think that the lifespan of a card running Aero will be negligibly shorter, negligible enough that no one will notice.

i'm mostly concerned about LAPTOP systems....

am i the only one that thinks that Vista is gonna SUCK for battery life?

3d acceleration goign constantly, AND all that crazy superfetching..... ouch

To answer the OP, i don't think everyday use of vista will see a much of a performance difference with a faster videocard.

i for one plan to turn off all aero crap.

i remember the first time i selected files with the mouse in windows xp and this transparant blue box jumped across the screen at 2fps. right then i said all this shit has got to go.

Actually i'll probbably continue running the uxtheme.dll crack and visial styles that aren't vista oriented. As long as neowin comes up with one that will work in vista which i would presume they would.

phide said:

Running at full clock speed is not the same as running with a load.

Hence the difference between load and idle temperatures ;)

You speak truth. And that's EXACTLY the point!

How much of a load does Aero present on a GPU? Can we assume that the load is less than "100%", or would anyone care to elaborate on just why they believe transparent windows will present a remarkably high sustained load on a typical GPU?

Is moving windows around a desktop akin to rendering 300,000 polygons and many, many thousands of shaded pixels 60+ times every second? Is Windows Vista going to be the next RTHDRIBL? Come on, guys - GPUs aren't magical devices that are blast furnaces no matter what the load is.

I guees Cool n' Quiet and Speedstepping is something you know nothing about then...Welcome to the past, please but a ticket for today...
I assume Cool n' Quiet is some sort of magical means of supercooling record players silently? The scope of my tech knowledge only extends to 1976, so you'll probably have to fill me in on this "Cool n' Quiet". I await your response with great anxiety.

phide said:
You speak truth. And that's EXACTLY the point!

How much of a load does Aero present on a GPU? Can we assume that the load is less than "100%", or would anyone care to elaborate on just why they believe transparent windows will present a remarkably high sustained load on a typical GPU?

Is moving windows around a desktop akin to rendering 300,000 polygons and many, many thousands of shaded pixels 60+ times every second? Is Windows Vista going to be the next RTHDRIBL? Come on, guys - GPUs aren't magical devices that are blast furnaces no matter what the load is.

I assume Cool n' Quiet is some sort of magical means of supercooling record players silently? The scope of my tech knowledge only extends to 1976, so you'll probably have to fill me in on this "Cool n' Quiet". I await your response with great anxiety.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10272,00.html

Terra - :rolleyes:

dBASE3PLUS said:

people actually do this kind of incredibly stupid, marginal upgrade?

Tutelary said:
people actually do this kind of incredibly stupid, marginal upgrade?

Watch your mouth ;) , I upgraded from a 7800 gtx to a 7900 gtx and I saw a large difference in my games. I was able to up the resolution and the amount of aa and af in all my games and still have the better framerates. Not to mention how well it overclocks :)

brucedeluxe169 said:
i'm mostly concerned about LAPTOP systems....
am i the only one that thinks that Vista is gonna SUCK for battery life?
3d acceleration goign constantly, AND all that crazy superfetching..... ouch

Laptops are about to get a decent boost in battery life once hybrid hard drives come to the markes (flash/standard drive in one). Basically what will happen is the OS will reside on the flash portion of the drive, meaning fast boot times, and far less power consumed. The standard harddrive will spin up once every 30 min to read/write data. Maybe more often depending on what you're doing.

Sounds like it could save an hour's battery life easy.

So I wouldn't be too worried ;)

Back