Does WD1600JB Come With Controller Card?

viper11885

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered the WD1600JB drive on boxing day and got it in yesterday. Anyways, upon reading the manual, I noticed that in the FAQ section, it said that there is an included ATA Controller card included with every hard drive that is over 137gb.

However, I did not receive any card. I bought it from Futureshop online (Canada).

Did anyone else that ordered this drive get the controller card??

I tried emailing Western Digital, but haven't gotten a reply back yet.

Thanks.

That manual is likely for the retail boxed version which probably does come with the card.

Unless you got a nice pretty shrink wrapped box, you have the OEM version ( same thing, but cheaper) which doesn't come with extras like cables, screws, or controller cards.

>Br@d

Nope, it wasn't OEM. It was fully packaged from a retail store. Even the manual said that there should be a card for it.

Just wondering on other people that have gotten the same drive, if they got the card or not..

Still waiting on Western Digital tech support to reply back to my email though.

If you have wXP with SP1 you shouldnt need the card since SP1 will see drives over 137G from what I read.Just hook it up and try.
Shark

Originally posted by sharkdiver420
If you have wXP with SP1 you shouldnt need the card since SP1 will see drives over 137G from what I read.Just hook it up and try.
Shark

Yup, I am aware of that.

That isn't the problem though. I want the Controller card since I don't have any other ide slots available. So it would be nice if I got the controller card which I think is suppose to come with this drive. For this reason, I postted this thread :)

:
Yup, I am aware of that.

I thought you said you didnt know it came with a card untill you read the FAG,Guess I cant read or something.:rolleyes:

The site you bought it from doesnt say anything about coming with a card so if you really needed the card for the reason you say you should of shopped around a bit better.

Originally posted by sharkdiver420
:

I thought you said you didnt know it came with a card untill you read the FAG,Guess I cant read or something.:rolleyes:

The site you bought it from doesnt say anything about coming with a card so if you really needed the card for the reason you say you should of shopped around a bit better.

To clear things up a bit, I'm not posting regarding the 137gb limit. I already had SP1 installed and it is running at full capacity.

In the FAQ section of the manual, it states that it should come with an ATA controller card. Here it is quoted:

"Purchase an ATA controller card (included with Western Digital hard drives larger than 137GB)

In my package that I received, I didn't get the controller card.

It has nothing to do with researching. As I can always take one device off to have the hard drive in there. But if it is stated in the manual, then shouldn't I at least get it regardless of if I need it or not?

What is stated on the manual dont mean anything,What is stated on the package and the site were you bought it means everything.It didnt say on the site that it comes with a card so I would not expect to get one.When I bought mine it said clearly that it came with a card and it had a sticker on the box that said it also.
Shark

I got the same deal from future shop canada, i'll check the box when i go home, probably the same situtation for me though, i don't need the card thankfully. On another note do i ABSOLUTELY have to install SP 1 in order to get past the 137 GB limit? I think my SIS 735 chipset is 48bit LBA compliant. Is SP 1 there to bring OS compliance?

Regards

Owen

Back