Domain purchase and hosting

slugger_2003

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm looking into setting up a website and was hoping to get some advice.
I was going to pay for hosting with justhosting.com and register my domains with netfirms.com and 1and1.co.uk. I thought by seperating the agents I used, there shouldn't be any issues if I wished to change either supplier, it would give me more freedom. For example, if I changed host, I wouldn't lose my rights to my domains.
Does this sound unwise/wise to anyone? The only advantage to signing up for both registration and hosting with one organisation seems to be a slight drop in cost, am I right in saying that? Perhaps they may try and fob off any issues I have with the host on the register or the register with the host for example...
Perhaps it would be wise to purchase neither and try to negotiate this into the price with the web developer?

Thanks in advance

I think you should split where you purchase your domain and where you purchase hosting.

And do it yourself - don't get your web dev to do it. If you ever fall out with them they could end up holding you to ransom with complete control over your site.

I've always liked namecheap for domains, partly because I've been with them for years, partly because they have an excellent control panel and because they don't do this bullshit where they register the domain under their name.

As cl0ckw0rk said, definitely register your domain yourself. I wouldn't say it's important to separate where the hosting and domain are purchased from, but it is important to purchase the domain yourself so you are the owning and controlling authority of it. Generally, I tell people to also avoid the "host with us and get a domain free" type deals. If the hosting is bad you find yourself stuck in a lot of cases due to minimum terms on domains before they're eligible for transfer, etc., and as with having your developer or someone do it, usually the hosting company is the owning authority since they register it for you as part of the hosting setup. Nothing wrong with them being the same company, just make sure they're separate transactions and you're the owning authority on the domain.

I've used GoDaddy for domains since the late 90's and have never had an issue.

I am hosted by 1&1 in the USA. It has been excellent service so far. The only thing i am frowning on is they are increasing their prices to $6.99 per month up from $4.99 for the plan I am on. They are giving me unlimited bandwidth and some other features, but I am not liking the price increase.

Back