Don’t Copy That Floppy Gets 15-Year Update

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Fans of MC Double Def DP and his 1992 Don’t Copy That Floppy hit should rejoice because the SIIA has released a sequel, Don’t Copy That 2. Rap, Klingons, and a Cops-like sequence of someone running from the police combine to form an interesting video. Newsweek even has an article about it.

Video embedded on front page.

The great thing about early-90s-style rap was how cheesy it was to begin with, so the original's aged so well. This? Eh... not so much. Takes itself too seriously, I think.

I don't think this comes close to the original video, pretty much a fail. Way too much emulation of the original and not enough use of current trends in hiphop/club music. If they wanted to do it right it should at least have some autotune in it. Autotune is big right now and fits this vid like OJ's glove.

I don't think this comes close to the original video, pretty much a fail. Way too much emulation of the original and not enough use of current trends in hiphop/club music. If they wanted to do it right it should at least have some autotune in it. Autotune is big right now and fits this vid like OJ's glove.

Because the current trend for Hip hop sucks ass.

While I'm not going to advocate (or denounce) copying for personal use (as I'll freely admit to having downloaded games that didn't have demos, saved me from buying Mercenaries 2; but I'll use freeware apps like GIMP or Paint.Net or OpenOffice instead of pirating Photoshop and MS Office), SELLING pirated software deserves federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

I'm curious why they went after that specifically, which odds are everyone can agree is bad form, rather than those that hit up torrents for personal use and/or sharing freely with friends.

I agree. If you got it for free, don't try and make other people pay just because they can't play the internet ;D

Also +1 on the autotune. hahaha!

Yep it was Todd. Doom ... it was shareware, so very bad example.

TBH if you want money for copied software/movies/music your just asking to be snitched on. I'd do it to just for you being a stingy bas***d

What's up with the random Klingons? Why have them there? Kinda funny that Jeremiah Mondello guy at the end though, it's almost a pro piracy message. The reason Mondello was arrested is because he did much more then sell pirated software. Nobody cares if you got a felony conviction because of software piracy, that's a joke. As long as you aren't programming consumer software for a large company or need government security clearances you will be just fine after you get out.

This is racist. They're demonizing the Asians by perpetuating the nerdy Asian with mohawk stereotype.

I'll only watch it if MC and his naked buttocks are not in it.

Warn me now.

THOSE DESKTOPS.

I really wish they had gone with the HACKER green text on black instead of the Anime

you dont know nothin about my l33t h4x anime h4x0r studio desktop....it pwns winders...

ok i had to get it out

This is racist. They're demonizing the Asians by perpetuating the nerdy Asian with mohawk stereotype.

:rolleyes:

and i guess cause the rapper is black too they are being stereotypical.... and that only people with Apple computers pirate things?

that is the worst stupidest song i have ever heard or seen! wow, sad, how much backing did apple give them too since you can download it free on itunes add at the end.

That guy at the end sounded like a woman...

Also the statement that really counted was that he was in jail for selling copies,making money off of someone elses work. The video was blending to much of making a copy for yourself in the same league as making to sell. As far as I know I can still make backup copies of software for myself.

i liked at the end, the man-made satellite in space that watches everything you do like god.

hd quality was very good though.

^^ if your in the U.S i beleive you cant, in most of the rest of the world you can, but if you by-pass copy protection to do it, then it is illegal in some parts.

Its not a sterotype; I buy all my pirated software from a a guy that looks just like that. It is a perfect profile for your average pirate!

that is the worst stupidest song i have ever heard or seen! wow, sad, how much backing did apple give them too since you can download it free on itunes add at the end.

And that was the "worst stupidest" use of grammar I have seen on these forums in a while.

Guess you weren't really listening. The female singer used auto-tune. So I guess your main complaint is that the guy didn't use it, and that there wasn't enough?

Its not a sterotype; I buy all my pirated software from a a guy that looks just like that. It is a perfect profile for your average pirate!
LMAO... win right there...

Your on [H] and you buy pirated software ... I certainly hope that was a joke :eek:
You might want to check your sarcasm meter. Try taking a couple pills then rebooting your brain into safe mode.:D

I also have to question why they used an iMac in the video...

Can mac's even play games? If they do, do they have any games worth pirating in the first place? This guy must be pirating windows also in order to play anything decent. He also might have been able to afford the games if didn't buy a mac in the first place.:p:p:p
/sarcasm

Yea the old school video was a lot better.

That guy at the end sounded like a woman...

Be nice thats someones prision wife you are insulting. :D

So, let me see if I get this:

"If you download software or make a copy of your software, you're going to get gangraped in prison and probably die of an STD, that is if you don't get shanked first. The SWAT team is also going to kill your mom!"

While I do not doubt the *AA's determination, I don't think legal protections in the US or anywhere else have been eroded to the extent that this is possible. In fact, it's exactly the type of person in the video who has about zero chance of getting in any trouble, let alone being imprisoned and sexually abused.

As usual, these types of videos are a farce and do nothing to communicate the actual risks of piracy, and will in fact only incite more piracy out of pure spite.

Oh and the example guy at the end is not a typical pirate:

He made over a million dollars selling pirated software online, and committed bank fraud and identity theft to set up his online scam. Not exactly some guy downloading torrents.

The first one was 17 years ago?!!? Now I REALLY feel old. Thanks [H]. I can't believe he's still going by MC Double Def DP, though; has he not seen the Internet yet?

So you don't even need to have a musical ear to do Hippity Hoppity. Thank you for enlightening me. I knew this had to be, but didn't know how. Now I don't feel so bad about those who like Paris Hilton, they're not so lonely.

your mostly going to get nock on the door in doing uploading and more so if you are selling it, both i have not done for years (50mb to slow for p2p norm, direct download is the way), in the UK that is not an problem as such yet, they are trying to do the do the 3 strike rule (like france) that would not work on me as my downloads are encrypted (TV stuff mostly, games i get of steam as they have lots of demos on there)

governments should be more interested in the ones that are selling stuff (maybe uploading as well)

Back